Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013

EvelynL is on a distinguished road
Remote Monitoring System for my sailboat

Looking for a Remote Monitoring System for my 43' Sailboat... Looking for a system that can report some of these items on an hourly basis or daily basis while I am 5 hours Drive away from it=
• Bilge and water level
• Tank levels
• Temperature (high and low)
• Smoke and fire
• Intrusion, security and motion
• Power and battery level
• Gas leaks
• Humidity
• Location and movement (GPS)
• Equipment start and stop

What Product DO YOU use out there while you are away from your boat long term, and she is still in the water? I want to know what products WORK and which ones are just gimmicks.

Thanks in advance for the Help and advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-18-2013
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Re: Remote Monitoring System for my sailboat

I get an email whever there is motion on the boat or the bilge pump goes on. I can configure it to send me an email if the shore power gets disconnected.

I "caught" the marina manager on board when he was preparing to launch the boat this past spring.

Webcam to watch your boat -- Done! And how-to.

Regards,
Brad
EvelynL likes this.
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bene505 For This Useful Post:
EvelynL (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Holy smokes, Evelyn. That's a lot of monitoring. Are you sure you really need all that? A low tech solution is to just hire a local boat manager to check on her routinely. Being so far away, you may also want someone to coordinate local resources too. Unfortunately, its usually the squeaky wheels that get greased, so they can really help.
EvelynL likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-18-2013

irmedic is on a distinguished road

This is a great project a guy put up a few years ago. He linked in a pile of stuff, and it came out pretty cheap.

WiFi Boat Monitor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-18-2013

saillessinseattle is on a distinguished road
keep it simple?

I had a similar list but then I started to prioritize after I couldn't find anything reasonable. My marina does not have wifi. So I looked for cellular based systems, which work best for power loss anyway. There are no real security issues there so I focused on potential boat damage, freezing, water intrusion, power loss (which also detects if somebody takes the boat for a ride, and I can track it with marinetraffic.com). I settled on a UPS, with a water leak+power+temperature home sitter, and a cellular to phone jack gateway. It will cost me about $150+$10/month, all from Amazon and AT&T or T-mobile. I can let you know if it works well.
Old 10-18-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I would think the easiest would be simple security camera that you can watch on the web, some even have sound capabilities...

When I owned my retail store I had them everywhere and could watch the store, the employees and the customers from my I-phone..
Old 10-18-2013

Yeah--- I wanted to see what all was out there on the market... Not sure what I will end up with-- but wanted to know what options were available to make "parting" with my boat more bearable... Sorry-- hate leaving her to work in the City... but not at Retirement age yet... So-- maybe virtually-- I can check on her-- and avoid any mishaps by being gone. I have TRUST issues with someone else looking after things. Here is a Quote I live by= "Rasin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues"...
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-18-2013

FYI--- this Marina does NOT have Wi-Fi at all... So, I am considering what CELL options I would have setting up a system like this... When they get WiFi in the next 2-years-- I can modify this system to accomodate as long at the bandwidth can sustain the requirements of whatever system I choose... Still searching for answers from people WHO HAVE this set up already...
Old 10-18-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Do you have phone service or cable?
Old 10-18-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

$250 at Harbor Freight for a 4 camera severance system with night vision and 500 gb storage of 4 channel recording. You can set each cam to record on motion or all the time. System is net workable, plug and play. You can log into the system see real time and recordings. Put one cam on the thermostat for temp. Will also sent txt and email upon motion. Now for internet access, you can get 3 or 4G internet access. I think I saw that T-Mobil has unlimited data plan. You will need a PC or laptop on board to work as server between the cams and net.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.