SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Emergency Hole Patching Material (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/104848-emergency-hole-patching-material.html)

nighthawk 10-18-2013 02:07 PM

Emergency Hole Patching Material

Okay,
Here's a question for the experienced sailors here--What, if anything, do you keep on board for temporary repair of holes in the hull. I mean the type of damage that will probably require haul-out to repair, but you have to get it back to the dock to make it happen. Have heard of lead sheets and wood screws and using a sail to hold one of the berth matteress in place to slow the water entry. Any other good ideas to keep on hand?

Tempest 10-18-2013 02:36 PM

Re: Emergency Hole Patching Material

I carry a heavy gauge tarp to use as a crash mat. I have soft and hard plugs. There's no shortage of soft goods, wooden boards, screws and chaulk in case I needed to cover something from the inside.

davidpm 10-18-2013 02:49 PM

underwater epoxy
a couple wax toilet rings.
Spray foam
The two part stick plumbers epoxy you knead together.

Delezynski 10-18-2013 02:55 PM

nighthawk,

Like Tempest, we carry a collision mat with 6 lines attached that are long enough to come up the sides of the boat with the mat under the keel. After that wood plugs and a supply of Pettit Splash Zone underwater epoxy (VERY STICKY STUFF!!!). I bought a kit and divided it up into smaller manageable parts.

Having said that, so far it all still sits in our aft cabin ready to (and never) use.

Greg

nighthawk 10-18-2013 05:00 PM

And Greg, I'm sure that we al agree that it should be the best place for it on all our boats--in a locker collecting dust forever and ever! Have to check out collision mats tho--I assume its the same concept as sying a foam pad or matteress on with a sail.

Minnewaska 10-18-2013 05:08 PM

These are a great series. Google up their fire, dismasting, explosion, thru hull failure, many more.

Delezynski 10-18-2013 10:00 PM

Minnewaska,

WOW, what a GREAT batch of info! THANKS for showing the videos.

I think you have made my life a bit easier with this info.
I think I will offload our dedicated mat in favor of a blue tarp. I always keep a couple of small ones aboard any way. It was great to see how well it worked.

My new plan will be to use that tarp as step one. Then use the Splash Guard on the inside as step 2.

THANKS again. :)

Greg

pauloman 10-21-2013 09:15 AM

wet dry 700 kevlar reinforced epoxy putty has saved a lot of sinking boats and floating homes (as well as leaking swimming pools). Carried by a lot of offshore sailors. use with our without fiberglass cloth or as a glue to seal and attach patches. Of course these coatings pretty much have to be applied on the outside using the water pressure to hold and push them into place.

chucklesR 10-21-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 1107292)
underwater epoxy
Spray foam

Along with your quote the wax toilet rings is hysterical
Quote:

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.

Zac Penn 10-21-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 1107292)
underwater epoxy
Spray foam

That is a great idea!!!!!