Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Islander 36 electric inboard? diy

I wonder if the prop can put enough power back into the batteries when it's not pushing the boat? which is one thing hybrids are about.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

I would like to have regen but most kits are far more expensive cause the controller is more expensive as is the motor...

Im on a budget...and to change to a high thrust 3 or 4 blade is not in the books for me

ideally I would love a direct drive, thrust bearings dc motor package with 4 deep cycle batteries...

I would love to go even simpler than having a controller...

I have sprockets and chains galore(motorcycle projects)

charging wil be from a generator, portable.

I only need 2-3 hours runtime in reality...really basic.
Old 10-22-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Christian,

To pull 10kw at 12v, you need 620amps an hour. Assuming you want to use batteries for 2 hours, with lead acid batteries you would need 2400 amp hours of batteries (50% usable capacity), or roughly 24 normal sized deep cycle batteries at a cost or around $2,000 and a weight of about 1,440lbs. This is why battery powered propulsion engines are so rare.

It is doable if you are ok with very minimal run times, but 2-3 hours is of the far end of realistic. You also need to look at charging times. I haven't run the numbers, but my WAG would be 2-3 weeks with a 30amp charger.
Old 10-22-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

We are honored by Denise's participation.

Denise and Greg, its best to use a 48 volt system, then the cable size drops dramatically. I think that when the electric motors go over 10 hp, (7 kilowatt) then the demand on batteries gets into double banks of 4 batteries each bank.

In a situation of regeneration from a non shore supply, is difficult. Wind and a Honda generator are the most powerful, with wind being the most hands off 24/7.

Christian, you will be the first, to have done it in a remote area. Sprockets and chains are good. Small props are OK since it is the wattage used to drive the boat, that is important. Sailing with the genoa out and a 1/2 speed from the motor would last a long time.
I understand that the Honda running while motoring, would stretch the cruise time by 50%.

I have passed the point of no return on my conversion. Hopefully it will be ready next Spring.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by sony2000; 10-22-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: 50%
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sony2000 For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (10-22-2013), deniseO30 (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Christian finding another Islander 36 with electric would be nice. But I of any kind of re-power is possible without too much worry of what make the boats are.

Now my idea for Batteries built as keels was a strange idea I know...... terminals as keel bolts was just a silly idea too! LOL
christian.hess likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2013

sony2000 is on a distinguished road

Christian what do you mean that your golf carts there, are a mix of gas and electric? They are your only local used source.
Old 10-22-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

What would be interesting to investigate is a used up or crashed Prius.
Old 10-22-2013
new dad!

guys I appreciate all the effort but this isnt intended to be a thread on if it will work or if its plausible...

first off not even the guys who use forklift motors or golfcart motors use 12 volts because of the huge gauge wire needed and implausible battery bank

2. most conversion kits use 48vdc volts for small to midsize conversions...
I have seen a few big conversions using a 25kw motor...but they run at 144volts. some conversion kits run at 72, 96 volts etc...

3. 10kw would be max draw or hp, for cruising 2-3 hours you would be using maybe 5kw...most guys doing conversions see 40-50 amp draws when at cruising rpms. Some a lot less on the 25-30feet sailboats.

4. there are plenty of guys with small boats who have done this with a 4 battery bank or 2 4 battery banks with around 250ah capacity.
My question was whether someone has used this small AUXILIARY package on a bigger sized boat.

5. Nobody with a diesel ever cruises at max rpm, even when off a leeshore...first off they can never acheive max rpm..

thanks again.
Old 10-22-2013
new dad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony2000 View Post
Christian what do you mean that your golf carts there, are a mix of gas and electric? They are your only local used source.
that is exactly what I mean...the forklift scenario is dubious too because finding the scraps is impossible because we are like vultures here, so you have to know someone who has a forklift about to crap out and then pounce on it.

regarding the golf cart I was returning from a day of working on the boat(new bulkheads, chainplates, deck gel coat) on the coast and I saw a golf cart for sale on the road! I was so excited I almost peed myself, when I started asking questions about the motor the guys looked at me strange...

basically it has a small aircooled motor...must of been an old cart but the piston size was about 60mm...

I havent found an abandoned golf cart since...

well see what I can scrounge up
Old 10-22-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Christian,

Changing the voltage doesn't change the number of batteries, it just changes the wire size and voltage drop in the system. High voltage makes it more efficient, but doesn't change the amount of power draw, or the number of batteries needed to provide that power.

I really doubt that a 5kw or power would be enough to reliably move your boat. You are talking about the equivalent of 6.5hp, on a 14,000lbs boat that was originally specced with a 40hp engine. The original engine probably put out more than that at dead idle. I know for a fact that my 37hp westerbeak puts out 10hp at 1000rpm, which is dead idle on it. Or more than double the output you are designing to (see http://www.westerbeke.com/productbrochures/w40.pdf ).

Look, converting a diesel powered boat to electric is possible. But there are major trade offs when doing it, mostly involving range and available reserve capacity. To offset these disadvantages you have to install huge battery banks, switch to higher capacity battery technology, or add a large generator. Each of which comes with other major problems.

The reality is that diesel fuel is roughly 100 times more energy dense than lead acid batteries, and about 50 times as energy dense as the best (read most expensive) batteries available. So every pound of diesel fuel you replace has to be made up with by 100lbs of batteries.

Tags
electric inboard , islander 36 , propulsion