Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMark View Post
I like that idea as I'd have a laptop on board anyway and I can update the software. So would any radar mount with Ethernet be comparable with this? Would a dome and a GPS mount plus a laptop fill all my needs for now? Again, I'm cruising the Hudson with maybe two trips a year to the LI Sound/Bock Island etc. Thanks.
I know some gps's won't work well but at there website there is tons of info on what does and does not work. opencpn is getting better all the time. I have a garmin gps that works ok with my netbook but there are some cheap gps's that work better than my garmin. My gamin is a gps 12 one of the first on the market back in the 90's. Not sure about the radar for that info go to the opencpn forums and ask. or the opencpn website.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Having a radar overlay is probably best confirmation of where you are in pea soup fog short of being right next to a marker. Getthe redundancy with a separate handheld or transportable GPS.
Old 10-20-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Having a radar overlay is probably best confirmation of where you are in pea soup fog short of being right next to a marker. Getthe redundancy with a separate handheld or transportable GPS.
yes there are even free apps to do that for a smartphone. all smart phone already have gps that works via the sat's and is not dependant upon cell phone areas
Old 10-20-2013

WhistlerMark is on a distinguished road

I have iSailor on my Iphone and I do like that App and it appears to be pretty accurate. I thought the GPS/Radar pack might be nice since you have one 7inch screen and there's not a lot of room in the cockpit for anything too big. There is a special mount that hooks into the companionway for the old unit. It would be perfect for the smaller one.
Old 10-21-2013

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I was not a fan of integrated radar/chart plotters, then I got one. I changed my mind.

There is nothing like having a display at the helm. This makes 1 person navigating work, even when running through a narrow harbor in the fog. In a boat the OP's size, multiple screens in the cockpit can get ungainly. Integrated systems solve this problem as well. Then there's radar overlay. No thinking involved when a marker and a radar return are at the same location on the screen. For additional cost, you can add an additional display below if you want, but if you can afford only one, put it on deck IMHO.

For redundancy buy a simple hand held GPS for short money, even if it only has numbers and you should have a paper chart anyway. If you have a cell phone or tablet, load your favorite nav software for a cheap chart plotter 3rd backup system for real short money.

Not sure it matters which vendor. We have Raymarine, seems to work fine, their support is not so great, but usually you don't need much support once everything is working.