Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013

WhistlerMark is on a distinguished road
Radar Chartplotter?

Hi All, I'm new here. I recently took over my father's '84 Able Whistler 32' Sloop. The boat has been in our family a long time and my father who is getting on in years has been unable to keep up with it for a while. I've re-powered it, installed new cabin plexiglass, and still have a bit to do. The boat has been well traveled and still needs a bit of work but it's in the water and functional. It did have an old radar system that was big and bulky and didn't appear to work so I tossed it and am thinking it would nice to have a chartplotter/radar combo. I think I could swing around $2,500 for a package and wanted opinions on what might be good. Any suggestions? Thanks. - Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Re: Radar Chartplotter?

OK - for me, I prefer a radar unit and a chart plotter. For two reasons:
  1. I really like the redundancy - when you need radar and a chart plotter, you tend to REALLY need them. I would hate to loose both going into Mistake Island ME in pea soup fog.
  2. I like to be able to glance quickly at the radar and see targets, not chart data.

Remember - that is just me and you will get lots of opinions here - many will be very good advice.

I think you can get a pretty nice radar unit and a nice chart plotter within your price range.

Rik
jrd22 likes this.
Old 10-19-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road

Can't do you much good at that particular price point... but can say that we are really Really pleased with our new Lowrance hi-def radar and 9" plotter combo. Having the overlay or either the plotter or radar alone with a press of an icon is neat (or, split screen...) .

Unlike the Garmin, Raymarine, and quite a few others, this plotter does NOT interfere with the steering compass right below it on the binnacle guard, either.
(i.e. it's actually designed for use on a typical sail boat.)

We could have saved some serious coin by going with the 7" version, but decided to use all the room that we had under the guard.

LB
Old 10-19-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Pretty sweet deal $1800

Garmin GPSMAP 740s GMR 18HD Bundle

I have the Garmin 4208 and GMR18HD which costs a couple hundred more but is only better in that you can network it with another plotter.
Old 10-19-2013

Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking of this particular unit Garmin GPSMAP 740S Radar Pack w/GMR 18 HD . I'm 9 years away from retirement so, for now, this would be to get me to the LI sound and do some navigating from the Mid Hudson River South. My Dad was a master of charts and Radar and me, I was always the willing crew so there's a lot for me to learn.
Old 10-19-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Radar Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMark View Post
Thanks for the replies. I had been thinking of this particular unit Garmin GPSMAP 740S Radar Pack w/GMR 18 HD . I'm 9 years away from retirement so, for now, this would be to get me to the LI sound and do some navigating from the Mid Hudson River South. My Dad was a master of charts and Radar and me, I was always the willing crew so there's a lot for me to learn.
Hope you're planning a lot of use of this in the next 9 years. Last Garmin fixed-mount product I had was unsupported in about 4 years. And that's not unusual for modern electronics -- any use you get over about 5 or 6 years is a bonus.

It is not just "planned obsolescence" in the main device, it's also a fast-track sunset for replacement parts and service as well.

Choose Wisely, as that guardian Knight told Indy...

LB
Old 10-19-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMark View Post
there lots of change happening right now and you can always use opencpn for backup and it will interface to your radar as well. opencpn if you are not familiar, opencpn is a free program you can put on any laptop netbook, smart phone, etc. I like it better than my garmin or hummingbird. Check it out, works with gps radar, ais, grib's

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/

Last edited by bfloyd4445; 10-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
there lots of change happening right now and you can always use opencpn for backup and it will interface to your radar as well. opencpn if you are not familiar, opencpn is a free program you can put on any laptop netbook, smart phone, etc. I like it better than my garmin or hummingbird. Check it out, works with gps radar, ais, grib's

OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
I like that idea as I'd have a laptop on board anyway and I can update the software. So would any radar mount with Ethernet be comparable with this? Would a dome and a GPS mount plus a laptop fill all my needs for now? Again, I'm cruising the Hudson with maybe two trips a year to the LI Sound/Bock Island etc. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
Hope you're planning a lot of use of this in the next 9 years. Last Garmin fixed-mount product I had was unsupported in about 4 years. And that's not unusual for modern electronics -- any use you get over about 5 or 6 years is a bonus.

It is not just "planned obsolescence" in the main device, it's also a fast-track sunset for replacement parts and service as well.

Choose Wisely, as that guardian Knight told Indy...

LB
Yes I've been doing a lot of reading and I guess after a while you would hopefully have a decent radar system and then have to upgrade the chart plotter. Maybe a standalone Radar system is the way to go. I have lots of GPS options and really the radar is what I want to replace.....hmmm the plot thickens.
Old 10-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I'm not very experienced with radar systems, but the ability to have the radar overlay on the chart plotter seems very nice.

I agree that redundant systems are a good idea. For about $200-$250 you can add a completely independent chart plotter system using a Nexus 7 tablet running Navionics or other software. When you aren't using it for that purpose they make a useful second display for modern plotters.

I have a Raymarine e7d (with no radar at the moment). At $2500 you have options to look at from all 3 major manufacturers (Raymarine, Garmin, and Navico (Lowrance/Simrad/B&G)). I'd play with the UI on each and see which one you like the best.