Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Partial winetrization???

I'm leaving my W 27 in the water for the winter. I plan on attending to various projects while she's sitting mostly unused during the off-season.

While I don't specifically "live-aboard", I do/have spent nearly half my time aboard. I have used the head once in 6 months, as there's facilities ashore. I empty and change out/clean the fresh water tankage every two-three weeks.

I's like to have all the systems available during down time; but am loathe to come aboard to find frozen and leaking pipes. Is there a "best" way to partially winterize a boat?

The Beta20 has it's own supply of anti-freeze; but the water jacket/heat exchanger is fed by the thru hull and impeller. Then three's the matter of the water muffler and exhaust lines to be dealt with. While I don't have specific need to run the engine while there's snow falling, the option to be able to take advantage of a nice winter's day to sail does have appeal WITHOUT having to go thru a complete commission/decommission each time! :grrr:

*IF* II decide to close her down completely; what's the best way to freeze-proof the thru hulls? Rubber plugs from the outside and fill the lines down to the fittings with anti-freeze?. Fill down to the closed valves?

I plan to run a small heater when aboard and a bilge heater (60 w bulb?) when not there. 1500 w is all that's needed to keep the interior warm enuff for me. I plan on tenting it over and working topside occasionally utilizing a propane torpedo heater to take of the frost (only topside, with venting, of course!).

What's the consensus of those staying in the water over the cold times?

TAI,
Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

justified is on a distinguished road
Re: Partial winetrization???

Paul
As far as your engine you can install a tee fitting with a hose and shutoff just above your thru hull. make the hose long enough to get to a bucket with pink anti freeze approx 1-2 gal. shut off raw water intake open valve start engine run till you got pink coming out of your exhaust, shutdown close valve, done. want to go sail for the day open thru hull, repeat the previous process. You other thru hulls you could do the same with a drain tee, and just close thru hull, open tee and drain line backwards.
Peter
Old 10-21-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thanks Pete,
I s'pose it would be worth a $5er worth of pink stuff if we get one of those beautiful winter days
My concern with the rest of the thru-hulls is the water below the valve within the fixture.
It's been intimated that the glass hull above the waterline *could* possibly transmit/transfer sub-freezing temps thru it's mass to freeze the bronze fittings?? Since most of them are well below the waterline, I'm not so worried...but.....
AFA the scupper lines.ill just dribble enuff pink stuff thru them ta show on the transom fittings and let it go at that. Since I'll be covered; I don't expect to get any significant amount of water in the 'pit.

Best,
Paul
Old 10-21-2013

justified is on a distinguished road

Paul
Are you on the Chessie? When was the last time you or your marina saw ice in the harbor where you could maybe walk on it or when blubbers where needed. I'm in LIS and it gets a lot cold here than down south where you are. Don't over think it.
Old 10-21-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a topical question: My boat has an inboard raw water cooled engine and I'm sitting in freshwater. It is my intention to take the boat out of the water in the near future for the winter, but below freezing temperatures (27-32 F) can be expected at night over the next few weeks. I am going tonight to pull the zinc out and drain the engine, but at what point do I need to worry about the water in the thru hull freezing? My nightmare is for it to burst the thru hull and put my boat on the bottom. Is there generally enough room inside the water lift muffler to allow for expansion due to freezing, or do I need to attempt to drain that as well? (first fall with a boat with an inboard..)

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

A few nights where it dips below freezing shouldn't be a problem. The surrounding water is still well above freezing and should keep the engine and its systems above freezing as well. Once you haul, the systems will need winterizing of course. If you can drain the waterlift muffler, do that. Then flush it all with antifreeze.
Old 10-21-2013

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Remember, most, if not all your thru hulls are probably 6" or more below the water line. When was the last time you saw ice more than 1-2" thick? It will have to be really cold for a couple of days before the interior temps of your boat goes below freezing as the water temp will keep the boat warmer than air temps.

As far as winterizing the engine, all I do is close my thru hull, open up my sea strainer and pour a gallon or two of AF into the strainer while the engine is running. If you have a strainer, no need to run a T fitting.

Last edited by chuck53; 10-21-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Justified, when I was looking at boats over the winter, I saw the northern Chessie frozen for a few days. This was Jan. 27, 2013 near Charlestown, MD. Many spots seemed thick enough to walk on, but I wasn't going to take a chance!

1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.