Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stumble

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
Remaking the bottom half of my Tiller

I'm now entering my 3rd off season with my project boat and have some time for things that I would like to do instead of have to do. I was thinking about remaking the portion of my tiller that is below the water line. it is a 2 piece flip up style (see attached pictures). While I'm at it I think I would like to make it a few inches deeper and a lot sharper. The one that came with the boat is made of 1 solid piece of wood and in poor shape. I don't think it will snap but it has a few hunks taken out of it and I think it use to be a little longer. What I am thinking of doing is remaking it out of Dried pressure treated plywood. Then wrapping it with a few layers of fiberglass and some good paint. The tiller wont be staying in the water for more than a day or so at a time and is stowed below deck when the boat isn't in use. I think this will be plenty strong for my 26ft trailer sailor and might even improve performance. I would appreciate any helpful hints on materials or building techniques.
Attached Thumbnails
Remaking the bottom half of my Tiller-cheektowaga-20120506-00484.jpg   Remaking the bottom half of my Tiller-cheektowaga-20120508-00500.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Re: Remaking the bottom half of my Tiller

Are you on a MacGregor 26? That tiller looks very similar to the one off my old Mac 222.

Why not just clean out the rot on the one you have use some epoxy filler to get your shape back and then glass it. That would be a whole lot less work and you would not have to worry about delamination of the plywood. I was facing a rebuild of mine because the top half was split down the middle. I decided instead to just rebuild the top end and sand fill and epoxy the lower and it worked fine. I had some rotted spots that I just ground out and filed them.

This was my proposed new bottom if I would have redone it. had a foil design that would have offered a bit more performance (in theory) Just figured on a 1973 mac that I was only keeping for a couple of years it was not worth the time and effort.

Here is what I ended up with. I think I still have router files for this (I operate CNC machinery and Program AutoCad)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
The Following User Says Thank You to gedaggett For This Useful Post:
ABH3 Boyer (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

why not just cover the old Rudder with glass and pant it. If you build one you want marine grade plywood. pressure treated is for termites and dry rot. not need for a glass covered rudder. and just FYI the Rudder is the one that gets wet and the Tiller is the one in your hand
Old 10-21-2013

kenr74 is on a distinguished road
Rudder rebuild

I remade a similar rudder last year. I cut strips of Redwood then glued them together to form a blank. I used a hand planer to shape it into a foil, then wrapped it in glass. I am very satisfied with the result. Many people go the plywood route, but I think the solid wood makes for easier shaping.
Old 10-21-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I meant rudder not tiller. The reason for replacement is that I'm not sure about the integrity of the original and I would like to add a few inches. I was thinking that the material used for the core of the rudder wouldn't need to be water resistant as it will be completely covered in fiberglass and not exposed to the elements. The reason for the pressure treated is, that's what I have laying around in my garage with the right thickness. I also thought that plywood is stronger and more rigid than 1 solid piece of lumber. I bet it would be a lot easier to shape a solid piece of lumber. I'm a accomplished carpenter by trade so I have plenty of shaping tools. Using glued together redwood strips interests me. Has anyone had any experience using oak or other hardwood for a rudder. The boat is a 26 ft Luger Tradewinds
Old 10-21-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
Yeah I meant rudder not tiller. The reason for replacement is that I'm not sure about the integrity of the original and I would like to add a few inches. I was thinking that the material used for the core of the rudder wouldn't need to be water resistant as it will be completely covered in fiberglass and not exposed to the elements. The reason for the pressure treated is, that's what I have laying around in my garage with the right thickness. I also thought that plywood is stronger and more rigid than 1 solid piece of lumber. I bet it would be a lot easier to shape a solid piece of lumber. I'm a accomplished carpenter by trade so I have plenty of shaping tools. Using glued together redwood strips interests me. Has anyone had any experience using oak or other hardwood for a rudder. The boat is a 26 ft Luger Tradewinds
I used white oak for my upper. It was a bit on the heavy side but other than that is worked out pretty good. The lower end was made out of a lighter wood but I am not sure what it was. Maybe some high ring count Douglas fir or mahogany would be good to use. As far as the pressure treated goes you would be putting a plywood with a high moisture content into a fiberglass encasement. Probably not the best situation. I guess if the treated ply was really dried out then it might not be an issue but I would go with marine grade or solid wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-21-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Abh3,

I would probably just repair what you have. But if you want to build a new rudder, I would recommend getting some corecell foam, shaping it like you were considering for the wood, then grassing over it. Much lighter, stiffer, and a good learning experience for working with core foams.

This is also a good project to investigate vaccume bagging or infusion with, since it is a relatively small part.
Old 10-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Abh3,

I would probably just repair what you have. But if you want to build a new rudder, I would recommend getting some corecell foam, shaping it like you were considering for the wood, then grassing over it. Much lighter, stiffer, and a good learning experience for working with core foams.
I thought the prevailing wisdom was that grass actually wasn't all that waterproof, or strong for that matter!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-21-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I hate auto-correct.
Faster likes this.
Old 10-21-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

while it may be nice to fix the old.. making new and keeping the old on board as a SPARE, may be worth it's cost in gold someday.... jus sayin...

my current "project"!
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
ABH3 Boyer (10-22-2013)