Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2013

lawsonmitchell is on a distinguished road
1990s boom furling mains

A boat I want to look at has boom furling. How functional were those systems in the early 90s. And if crappy, I'm thinking it can't be hard to switch it to slab reefing. Link to boat attached:

1991 Maestro 35 Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks,
Lawson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: 1990s boom furling mains

Jonmeri is a quality builder.. Pretty boat. Under 300 hours on a 22 year old boat is a bit hard to believe, but....? Repower?

Fairly high asking price for that vintage, but it's probably relatively unique, though that can go either way. I suspect a serious offer considerably lower would be looked at, esp if the listing is getting old...

Hard to say about the furler.. conceptually inboom furling makes more sense than in mast.. check the brand and do some more research.

Keep us posted!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
lawsonmitchell (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Looking at the pics, the furler looks to be an around the boom furler not in boom. If so get rid of the thing. They are without redeeming feature.

However, it is very easy to fix. I had a boat many moons ago with around boom furling and all that was required was to lock the furler in place and have the main re jigged for slab reefing. Unlike in mast furlers, around boom furled mainsail pretty much uses a standard size and cut of main.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-21-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Looking at the pics, the furler looks to be an around the boom furler not in boom. If so get rid of the thing. They are without redeeming feature.

However, it is very easy to fix. I had a boat many moons ago with around boom furling and all that was required was to lock the furler in place and have the main re jigged for slab reefing. Unlike in mast furlers, around boom furled mainsail pretty much uses a standard size and cut of main.
Tough to say, under the cover and all, but if that's the case, then I'd agree: immobilize the boom roller and rig the main for standard slab/jiffy reefing and off you go.

Hard to believe that someone would have installed rolling boom furling still in the '90s....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-21-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

I'm surprised that they were still making them in the 90's. I've had 1973 boats with this feature since 1973, but I never use this reefing system. You likely have no need to "immobilize" anything. Just set up the slab reefing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-21-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I'm surprised that they were still making them in the 90's. I've had 1973 boats with this feature since 1973, but I never use this reefing system. You likely have no need to "immobilize" anything. Just set up the slab reefing.
You are probably correct there. I'm also a bit surprised they were still being used in the 1990's. I'm just going on the visuals and that boom doesn't look big enough to house a mainsail inside.

You can achieve this without immobilizing but in the past I've found it preferable to be able to lock the boom. In fact if memory serves I think I installed a completely new boom - mast fitting. Probably not necessary except, and again from somewhat hazy memory, the original was badly worn and looking set to fail.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-21-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

A little hard to see in photo but the mast track, stops and vang looks like a Sailtainer in boom furler to me. If so I have one and it is extremely well made. Was probably the best made at the time. Works very well w/ endless reefing. Main can be reefed on the run w/ very little effort.
Jim
lawsonmitchell likes this.

Last edited by jimrafford; 10-21-2013 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimrafford For This Useful Post:
lawsonmitchell (10-23-2013)
Old 10-22-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Could be Bamar Sailtainer. it was a good for the day system. the sail does suffer from being a bit flat but much better then in mast sails. the boom had to be at the exact angle ( 90 degrees ) to the mast to furl correctly. or it would bind up and stop the motor.
Old 10-22-2013

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
............. I installed a completely new boom - mast fitting...............
My 70's reefing system doesn't involve any aspect of the gooseneck. The boom doesn't rotate freely, but only with the application of a crank handle to move a pinion gear that rotates the boom and the mainsail then wraps around the outside of the boom. As I said, I don't use this system and I don't favor the resulting sail shape. If the 90's version topic of this post is an inside the boom furling, it's a far different mechanism and likely a great improvement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Take Care and Joy, Aythya Crew
Old 10-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
My 70's reefing system doesn't involve any aspect of the gooseneck. The boom doesn't rotate freely, but only with the application of a crank handle to move a pinion gear that rotates the boom and the mainsail then wraps around the outside of the boom. As I said, I don't use this system and I don't favor the resulting sail shape. If the 90's version topic of this post is an inside the boom furling, it's a far different mechanism and likely a great improvement.

Aha ... mine was obviously more of an old clunker than yours. Presuming it went onto the boat when she was built then it was more 60s than 70s. Had no ratchet or gears. From memory cos I only used the accursed thing on a couple of occasions before I rid myself of it, it spun freely. The gooseneck fitting itself was showing signs of wear and tear so I simply took the opportunity to replace it.