SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Where do you buy your beta marine oil, filters, etc

11K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Missingyou 
#1 ·
Winterizing today for the first time and was wondering if there was a cheaper place to buy locally an oil filter, fuel filter, and engine oil. I have the beta marine bd722 (kubota 3 cyl 20 hp). I'm in se MI and hoping to get rolling here in an hour or so but would prefer to not go to west marine. Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Engine oil we buy at any auto parts store that sells the correct type. Last weekend we stopped at Kmart and bought it.

All filters I bought directly from Beta. I don't know if it makes a difference, but our engine is still under warranty so I want to keep the Beta parts on it. I bought a bunch of spares at the beginning of the season so we're using those and I'll order more over the winter.

#3 ·
My suggestion when the warranty is over, is to use your Kubota block number to search the Wix catalogue. I buy Wix filters for my Universal 5424, which is an older Kubota block. They are very popular in the trucking industry and have a good reputation for quality.

I just bought the oil and both fuel filters, 3 of each, from Everything Truck Parts for an average of $6 each.

#6 ·
Rotella is a conventional diesel grade oil. I use the same stuff in my Yanmar, it should be fine. It is normally around $15/gallon at auto parts stores. Chevron Dela is similar and available at most marine stores for not much more.

I use very expensive synthetic diesel grade oil in my VW TDI car, but it has a turbo and much longer oil change intervals than marine diesels (300-400 hours vs 100 hours).

#8 · (Edited)
Ended up getting a Wix(oil filter) for $7.17 something at o'riley auto parts store. I'll post the part no. later. Noticed when I pulled the old filter, the op had a Napa in there. I'll post the part no. later. I'm whipped. Got her winterized though. Hanging out drinking some anti freeze with her.

#9 ·
I also use WIX(Napa), for everything, including fuel filter/water separators. I have a Yanmar and my Onan Gen is a 3 cylinder Kubota. If you want to spend a little more you can buy the Wix XP or Napa Gold, they use a synthetic element instead of paper. Otherwise their regular stuff is pretty good as others have stated. I've started ordering them all online(Amazon) why lounging at home.

Again as others have stated, Rotella is well respected oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.