Newbie questions after first time taking out sailboat - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2013

Bill B is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie questions after first time taking out sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
More than likely the sails are tired. But I am sure they will not stop you from having fun and learning. Keep in mind you never run a flat sail...EVER! The sail needs curve, just like the wing of a plain, a sail is a plane wing on it's side. But works the same way with lift and pressure created by the shape of the sail, the curve. There are many good sail trimming instructional video's on U-tube about it. Use "sail trimming" for search.
Heh, I couldn't run a flat sail if I *wanted* to. Wind-sock is more like it

I'll check out youtube for sure. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

If you can why don't you take some good pictures and post them.
The most effective way to take pictures is the one two punch.
Take a picture from far enough away so we can get an idea of what we are looking at then another picture close in on the thing we want to see.

You can tie the boat off at the dock and on a light wind day get some good 360 pictures.
As much detail as you can.

If you do this the guys and gals on this forum can really let you know what is happening.
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-27-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Bill,

Do a search on "boom vang". This is the loop that you are describing but it usually involves a couple of fiddles and a cam cleat. Pretty handy. As far as a new sail, Ebay. There are also MANY sail lofts that specialize in used sails. I'd bet $100 would get you a nice one with lots of life left in it. I tie the gooseneck of my boom to the base of the mast, through a pad eye, before I tighten the main. This allows me to tension the luff properly. What might help you is buying a copy of Sailing for Dummies. No insult meant at all. I have a copy and studied for months before sailing. Great info written by sailing champions in regular guy language. A good resource.

As a trailer sailor, your needs are different that some others. This post has some great advice from knowledgable guys. Others I've seen are written by folks with big boats and very deep pockets. The things that will serve you (us) best is common sense and Yankee ingenuity couple with good sailing skills and COLREGS knowledge.

Don
Old 10-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If you can why don't you take some good pictures and post them.
I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately it will be another week or two before I'll be able to go back out.
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Do a search on "boom vang". This is the loop that you are describing but it usually involves a couple of fiddles and a cam cleat.
Not a boom vang as far as I can tell from pictures. What I have is more like the "cleat for line to hold down boom" setup in the picture below (not my boat).

Quote:
As far as a new sail, Ebay. There are also MANY sail lofts that specialize in used sails. I'd bet $100 would get you a nice one with lots of life left in it.
I hadn't thought about used. I'll check it out.

Quote:
I tie the gooseneck of my boom to the base of the mast, through a pad eye, before I tighten the main. This allows me to tension the luff properly.
That's basically what's happening for me by virtue of the design. I hook the loop over the nub to stop the boom from riding up, then hoist until the luff is tight.

Quote:
What might help you is buying a copy of Sailing for Dummies. No insult meant at all. I have a copy and studied for months before sailing. Great info written by sailing champions in regular guy language. A good resource.
I have a copy and read through it once a while back. I reckon now that I actually have a boat, I should give it another read.

Quote:
As a trailer sailor, your needs are different that some others. This post has some great advice from knowledgable guys. Others I've seen are written by folks with big boats and very deep pockets. The things that will serve you (us) best is common sense and Yankee ingenuity couple with good sailing skills and COLREGS knowledge.
That's one thing I really like about sailnet - lots of nice folks who are willing to lend advice and experience, especially to a beginner like me.
Old 10-27-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
That's basically what's happening for me by virtue of the design. I hook the loop over the nub to stop the boom from riding up, then hoist until the luff is tight.
If you let it ride up then use a line from the boom to the clean to pull it down you may be able to get the luff tighter.

The buggered shive at the top of the mast may make the above trick a good work around assuming that the luff needs to be tighter.
jimgo likes this.
Old 10-28-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Bill, If you have a good local sail maker this is what you should do to find out about the sail. If after you have all the line tight (halyard, out-haul, boom down haul etc.) you still have the slop in the sail put it up and draw it as tight as you can then have a set of pictures taken that show the sail under power. This will give the sail-maker a god view of what you sail is doing while on the water and he can better adjust your sail to fit what is needed. This is often much better then just dropping the sail off as it will give them some real world data on your boat.

Hope that helps,

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-28-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Drain plugs love to leak. Try some Vasoline around the plug next time. If it is the type with a proper O ring, what state is it in?

Next time, determine whether the water is salt or fresh. It could easily be some rainwater that collected somewhere, and moved while under sail.

Another trick you can try to find a leak is : fill the boat with water when it's on the trailer. Not too much though, it is heavy stuff and you don't want to cause structural damage to the boat or trailer by adding a ton of water.
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If you let it ride up then use a line from the boom to the clean to pull it down you may be able to get the luff tighter.

The buggered shive at the top of the mast may make the above trick a good work around assuming that the luff needs to be tighter.
I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 10-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
If you have a good local sail maker this is what you should do to find out about the sail. If after you have all the line tight (halyard, out-haul, boom down haul etc.) you still have the slop in the sail put it up and draw it as tight as you can then have a set of pictures taken that show the sail under power. This will give the sail-maker a god view of what you sail is doing while on the water and he can better adjust your sail to fit what is needed. This is often much better then just dropping the sail off as it will give them some real world data on your boat.
It seems that the closest sailmaker is an hour or so away, and the ones with any kind of web presence are 2 hours or more. So I think pictures and an email assessment will be in order before I drop anything off to anyone.