Newbie questions after first time taking out sailboat - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013

Bill B is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbie questions after first time taking out sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Drain plugs love to leak. Try some Vasoline around the plug next time. If it is the type with a proper O ring, what state is it in?

Next time, determine whether the water is salt or fresh. It could easily be some rainwater that collected somewhere, and moved while under sail.

Another trick you can try to find a leak is : fill the boat with water when it's on the trailer. Not too much though, it is heavy stuff and you don't want to cause structural damage to the boat or trailer by adding a ton of water.

It seems that the worry about a leak might have been premature. I went out again yesterday and after 2.5 hours, only a couple of drops came out of the drain, rather than a couple of cups.

So, either the drain plug wasn't secured the first time, or as you said, there might have been some rainwater left somewhere. I drained some, and thought I had gotten it all, but maybe not.
jimgo likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

That's excellent! Hopefully it was a leak in the drain plug, and now you've fixed it. Keep an eye on it, though. If there is rainwater getting in through a fitting, you'll want to rebed the fittings. There are a TON of threads on that.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2013
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Some years back, there was an article in one of the sailing magazines about how to photograph your boat's sails, in action, for the benefit of either sail makers to look at the condition of your sails, or for experienced sailors/coaches to critique your sail trim.

I recall that a couple of the angles they used were from down underneath the sail, i.e. shooting up from the deck, as well as from someone on a boat behind your boat, looking at the aft edge of your sail/sails.

Does anyone remember the source of this article?

A few pictures taken following the recommendations might be something that could be e-mailed to a sailmaker to get an idea of sail condition and whether the sails might be candidates for re-sewing and repairing.
davidpm likes this.
Old 10-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
That's excellent! Hopefully it was a leak in the drain plug, and now you've fixed it. Keep an eye on it, though. If there is rainwater getting in through a fitting, you'll want to rebed the fittings. There are a TON of threads on that.
I expect that any rainwater in the hull is likely due to the huge hole in the lockers that I mentioned earlier, coupled with leaving the boat uncovered before I got a tarp for it. I thought I had drained it all out, but there must've been some hiding somewhere. Well, at least I'm hoping that's it.

And on a related note, I picked up mat and resin to attempt my first fiberglass repair. While the holes in the locker don't affect how she sails, I'm guessing that if I capsize, and all that water is going right into the hull, then I'm going to have a bad time.
Old 10-29-2013

I just wanted to thank everyone for all their advice.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the leak may be a non-issue, though looking at it and thinking things through has urged me to patch up the holes in the locker interior.

As for the sail, it's going to be a week or two before I can get decent pictures. In the mean time, I may try to get some time on someone else's boat, and then get a good look at their sails. That may at least give me an indication as to the condition of mine. After all, as a newbie, my expectations could be wrong, or as some of you have pointed out, I could have issues with getting the luff and foot tight enough.

If my sails are indeed questionable, I'll be sure to get some pics and send them to a sailmaker and either have them recut, or maybe find some decent used sails.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. It's very much appreciated.

Bill
Old 10-30-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Bill,
Depending on where the holes are and how big they are, you might want to consider adding an inspection port rather than glassing them over. The inspection port will let you keep tabs on what's going on in there.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

FYI, never use Vaseline on rubber, synthetic rubber or or neoprene, it is a petroleum product and is not compatible. Use Silicone, Teflon or Dow Corning MolyKote 55M grease.