Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: Any one know a thing or two about booms

I have these.. 20131029_1234581.jpg Photo by adamabraham | Photobucket 20131029_1235431.jpg Photo by adamabraham | Photobucket on the starboard side, and these 20131029_1235261.jpg Photo by adamabraham | Photobucket on port.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2013

these on strbrd

these on port
Old 10-29-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

I have a similar set up on my T30. The outhaul is always hard to use, and I have never taken is apart to see if there is a purchase inside the boom or if it is just a strait cable swagged to the rope that exits near the goosneck. If you take it apart please post your results.

Your boom apears to be already set up for line reefing, your boat originally was set up for roller reefing using a gear and crank at the goodneck, not a good way to go. The blocks at the aft end are set up for 2 reef points that should match the cringles on the leach of your main. If you have the sail that was set up with the blocks on the boom the block should be slightly aft when lined up with the cringles. It looks like the lines were then led forward to the cleats on the mid boom. I am not sure how the luff was secured when reefing on yours. It should involve a second set of reef lines that may cleat on the mast. It might have been a single line systeml, but as Jeff mentioned the friction ends up being too much. One option is to lead the reef lines aft to clutches on the cabin top at the cockpit. Mine is set up that way and can be reefed frrom the cockpit as long as the halyard is also led back to an adjacent clutch and winch. In either case you will need to use a ridgid vang or topping lift while reefing to keep the boom from falling into the cockpit.
Old 10-29-2013

So like I was saying earlier, it would just be a line tied to the sail and then around the block and tied off at the cleat? The front side would just be secured at the cunningham? I know I need to look at my main to see how its setup but someone knows what I am asking. Seems just as easy to just let the sail down and tie it manually with a rope at the reef holes.
Old 10-29-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

The line is tied to the metal loop attached on the boom on the other side of the blocks, run up through the sail, down through the block and forward to the cleat (or to cluthes or cleats elswhere if set up that way) This alllows mor purchase and control as you reef.
Old 10-30-2013

any particular type of line to use for this. I will be setting it up properly shortly.
Old 03-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
I have a similar set up on my T30. The outhaul is always hard to use, and I have never taken is apart to see if there is a purchase inside the boom or if it is just a strait cable swagged to the rope that exits near the goosneck. If you take it apart please post your results.

Your boom apears to be already set up for line reefing, your boat originally was set up for roller reefing using a gear and crank at the goodneck, not a good way to go. The blocks at the aft end are set up for 2 reef points that should match the cringles on the leach of your main. If you have the sail that was set up with the blocks on the boom the block should be slightly aft when lined up with the cringles. It looks like the lines were then led forward to the cleats on the mid boom. I am not sure how the luff was secured when reefing on yours. It should involve a second set of reef lines that may cleat on the mast. It might have been a single line systeml, but as Jeff mentioned the friction ends up being too much. One option is to lead the reef lines aft to clutches on the cabin top at the cockpit. Mine is set up that way and can be reefed frrom the cockpit as long as the halyard is also led back to an adjacent clutch and winch. In either case you will need to use a ridgid vang or topping lift while reefing to keep the boom from falling into the cockpit.
Can you or anyone else elaborate on what is meant by the friction being too much. thanks.
Old 03-16-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Friction in this case to me, is how much the line rubs on the sheaves, or the sheaves will not turn. This friction will cause the pull to be harder than it should. If you were to go to a local marin hardware store, Spin to sheaves, one with ball bearings, the other a solid sheave. The ball bearing sheave will turn 4-5 turns before stopping, the solid sheave maybe 2-3. This is caused be friction. IE things rubbing against ea other so you can not pull, push move etc something.

Marty
Old 03-16-2014

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Did anyone tell you booms break when they hit solid objects, like ones hard head?!?!?!!

Marty
Old 03-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Friction in this case to me, is how much the line rubs on the sheaves, or the sheaves will not turn. This friction will cause the pull to be harder than it should. If you were to go to a local marin hardware store, Spin to sheaves, one with ball bearings, the other a solid sheave. The ball bearing sheave will turn 4-5 turns before stopping, the solid sheave maybe 2-3. This is caused be friction. IE things rubbing against ea other so you can not pull, push move etc something.

Marty
So you mean like if something were sliding along some ice, for example, and it eventually came to a stop that would be friction causing it? And like say a cylinder in an engine heating up and needing oil. Is that because of friction? I think I get it. Feel free to elaborate further, specially refering to a single vs double line reefing sys.