Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Handheld GPS differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
OK, answer us this: Can/will the Oregon accept the marine maps? If it can, I'd have to agree, why would someone NOT want the higher res screen?

Yes, it works fine with marine maps. You can install the same charts onto handheld Garmin GPS units as what you install onto the marine ones.

northoceanbeach: Last year you were cruising with a smartphone (I think it was an iPhone). If you stay with that plan then the iPhone can do duty as a handheld GPS while hiking and cycling. The primary advantage of the Oregon over the iPhone for hiking and cycling is that it has replaceable batteries, but that mostly becomes a benefit on multiday trips.

The helm-mounted GPS gives you another advantage that you didn't mention. You can get sonar integrated (and radar integrated if you want to get fancy). I like having a single easy display to watch for depth and charts. The fishfinder display is very helpful for understanding the bottom profile and makeup when anchoring.

It is easy to setup most of these smaller marine GPS units to be removable when you are away from the boat. My Raymarine e7d came with a gimbal mount that lets you remove the unit with two thumb screws and by unplugging 3 cables (power, sonar, network).

If you already have a handheld GPS then by all means use it on the boat. If you are buying new I think that a marine unit makes more sense for about the same price.

Finally: watch REI return areas for used handheld GPS's. I got the Oregon 450 that lived on my Catalina 25 for $50 in the Seattle REI basement. At the time the same unit cost $400 new at REI. There was nothing wrong with it, the note said "batteries died too quickly". I brought it home and looked at the one track on the unit, it had been sitting on someone's counter for 8 hours doing nothing.

This is where you can find free charts for the Seattle metro area that are compatible with Garmin handhelds:
Garmin

They also sell charts for a lot less money than Garmin.
Old 11-08-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Not that I don't have 3 GPS on board all the time BUT a lot of you really see to hate paper charts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

I don't hate paper charts. I love paper charts. I just think for where I'm going next(Bahamas) I would have to get so many to cover an 800 mile stretch. And if I continue to the carribean I'll need even more. With a GPS or ipad or whatever I can get what I need to ahead I time.

Last summer I used iphone, eTrex and paper charts. I probably used 80-90% paper. But I was also in a 200 mile area and never without pretty easily identifiable landmarks. It made sailing by sight easy.

But the Bahamas are flat. It's got to be harder to find an anchorage when it's all....flat. I can't look at the landscape topography.

Oh, Alex. Another benefit to a fixed is being able to integrate it with an autopilot. As you may remember I said if there was one thing I would have done differently last summer it would have been to get an autopilot. It would be really nice to have it follow my route on the chart plotter instead of a compass course. They do that right?
Old 11-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Yes, my autopilot can be steered by selecting points on the GPS. It is nice because the system will learn and correct for leeway.

Another nice autopilot feature is having it follow a wind direction so that it can head up or down automatically when there are headers and lifters.

I use all of these features (go to point, follow compass heading, follow wind) at different times.
Old 11-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
For me a big difference is the resolution.
The Oregon is 240 x 400
The GPS Map 78SC is 160 x240
When I bought my Oregon 4 years ago the resolution was a big concern for me. The difference between Oregon and the 76/78 handhelds is huge, and to this day I don't know why so many people select 76/78 over it.

Whichever you buy, the most economical way to mount it (if you have a pedestal guard) is this:

Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: GPS & Navigation

In addition to the one I have on my pedestal guard, I have an extra one that I take on charters with me. At the end of the week, I just cut the straps and bring it home.

Since the Garmin handhelds do not float, it's important to mount them, especially if you have an open transom.

In dry weather, I use OpenCPN in the cockpit. I run two instances of the program on my Netbook. One window is zoomed in for detail, the other one is zoomed out for big picture and AIS targets.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-10-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
OK, answer us this: Can/will the Oregon accept the marine maps? If it can, I'd have to agree, why would someone NOT want the higher res screen?

Dave
Because the montana is bigger still and has better battery life!

And the new Monterra looks good too but I don;t think it will be glove friendly.
Old 11-10-2013

The 72H does FLOAT

The most important feature is that after i give it a route it gives the BEST SAILBOAT information

If i am running a long leg down the sound dead upwind i want to know the best time to tack to cover it in the least time

It also grabs a nice track to look at later with all your speeds and bearings

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Old 11-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
...The most important feature is that after i give it a route it gives the BEST SAILBOAT information

If i am running a long leg down the sound dead upwind i want to know the best time to tack to cover it in the least time...
I am interested to hear how this works. Are you saying that it tells you when you should do each tack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
It also grabs a nice track to look at later with all your speeds and bearings
I think all of Garmin's handhelds do this.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 11-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
Touchscreen concerns me although some quick research suggests it's resistive. Does anyone know for sure?
The Oregon and Dakota touchscreens are resistive.

Con: They require more pressure than capacitive to register a tap, and are therefore not suitable for typing long chains of characters.

Pro: They respond to taps from a gloved finger.

I confirmed that my Oregon works fine when I am wearing a glove. Obviously, thinner gloves will give better resolution for your taps.

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-10-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-12-2013

In my racing I have played with ALL the features

We have used the units in well over 100 W/L events (1 MILE LEGS MORE OR LESS )and a whole bunch of distance races between 40 and 200 something miles

In the short W/L we always have enough time to mark the starting line and turning mark and I have then tried the various options that you can use

On distance races there is always a government mark we have to turn around with a well known GPS location

1. You can project a waypoint to any distance on any compass course as GPS VMG works better over long distances

I was never all that happy with the results

2. You set the waypoint and select the turn option and I find this gives very good and repeatable information about when to tack

On short or long courses the turn angle points out the favored tack right away and it works for me even on day sails when the wind is from a foul direction that requires mucho tacks to get anyplace

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY