Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By azguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road
Cheapest place to work on a boat full time.

Hi All,

My boat is about 40' or so, and it's currently on the hard at a boat yard in South Park Near Seattle.

The location s actually pretty convenient, I can work on it without being bothered, I can live in a van/RV like a hobo all around the industrial parts of Georgetown.

But it's costing me $300+ a month and I have zero storage or shop space, unless I pay even more $$$ The boat is packed in like a sardine, so it makes it a little cramped to work on the sides or even tent it. If I get a storage unit it will likely cost just as much, and I really just don't want to pay $600 a month for storage because I want to tinker around and just do a really detailed nice refit.

It kills me when I drive all around the duwamish or hylebos in Tacoma and see all kinds of industrial waterfront just sitting unused. It's also sort of incredible how many nice docks / areas are sitting unused all up and down the sound. I'd like to get the bottom done and painted, and then I'd like to fine a remote dock somewhere out in the styxx where I could park an RV, be a hermit and finish out the interior of the boat. Hopefully trade some sort of deal where I can be a security guard and maybe feed the cows once in a while for trade, or pay a lower monthly rental for a year or two.

My mom has nice property in Reno or Yuma I could use, it would be nice because I could have a proper shop, storage unit and apt, and in the case of Yuma would not need to build a shelter over the boat. BUT... it'd cost me 15k to move the boat (twice) and in the end I'd actually rather start my cruising right here in the sound. (though the sea of Cortez is certainly appealing too) I could also sail the boat around to the Multnomah river because it seems like there are actual haul-out/storage yards facilities there that are quite a bit cheaper. I'm open to suggestions!

I might even anchor out, but that's the least favorable idea because I do have a storage unit full of crap that eventually needs to go into the boat.

I'm completely unencumbered, can go anywhere in puget sound easily, PROBABLY including Canada too but that would take more thought wrt visas or whatnot.

So does anybody know someone with a private dock on an island somewhere that wouldn't mind making $100 a month, or can anyone recumbent a boat yard (everett? Port Townsend?) That might be a little bit cheaper and would be a little easier to have a small shed/workshop?

The proceeds from my house are all the money I will ever have, so I want to be a bit creative in fixing the boat frugally and try to save as much principal as I can. the boat needs a year of solid labor to get ready.

Last edited by xymotic; 10-30-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

ragzamoto is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheapest place to work on a boat full time.

I feel for you buddy. I have been there a few times. What I have found is that if I spend some time knocking on doors asking all the people with sites and explain my plan I have been surprized at how much I have been helped.
Now if your just a bum in a boat looking for a place to crash people will sense it and well cant blame them . You dont sound like it so I would track down the owners of docks and waterfront sites. Maybe offer to clean them up ect. Just a thought its worked for me.
Old 10-30-2013

But most of the places I'm referring to are actually vacant. I wouldn't know where to even start to find an owner short of just squatting and wait til someone gets pissed off

South Park is really almost perfect for me, I may buy a bread truck or big box van to store stuff in and park on the street. Then at least I could sell it eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzamoto View Post
I feel for you buddy. I have been there a few times. What I have found is that if I spend some time knocking on doors asking all the people with sites and explain my plan I have been surprized at how much I have been helped.
Now if your just a bum in a boat looking for a place to crash people will sense it and well cant blame them . You dont sound like it so I would track down the owners of docks and waterfront sites. Maybe offer to clean them up ect. Just a thought its worked for me.
Old 10-30-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

You're dreaming, in the day and age where people, landlords are worried about insurance claims, liability and god knows what else including hazardous waste I can't believe anyone is going to let you use their land for your project.

Go to Yuma, better weather and then off to the Sea of Cortez
xymotic likes this.
Old 10-30-2013
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Start with the county assessors office and look up the owners info that's good place to start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
You're dreaming, in the day and age where people, landlords are worried about insurance claims, liability and god knows what else including hazardous waste I can't believe anyone is going to let you use their land for your project.

Go to Yuma, better weather and then off to the Sea of Cortez
You make a valid point, but OTOH there's tons of stuff there already. My boat's a project, but it's not the kalakala.

New owner, uncertain future for Kalakala ferry | Tacoma | The News Tribune
News Release UPDATE: Derelict vessels sank in Hylebos Waterway

What I wanna do is just side tie to something like that

As it gets darker and colder and wetter here that idea is looking better and better.

I also thought of just doing the bottom, stripping everything but the basic basics, and sailing it to Mexico. I could to the work there too, anchored out... I could store the bigger components at mom's and just drive up to Yuma when needed.

Last edited by xymotic; 10-30-2013 at 02:08 PM.