Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-30-2013

Letrappes is on a distinguished road
Maintenance while in the boatyard.

So currently my boat is on the hard in a boatyard while the bottom is getting some new paint. I checked all over and found no osmotic blisters which is great. I sanded down and put two coats of primer on the iron keel and am putting two coats of Interlux Ultra on the whole bottom with any extra going on the front of the keel and bow area where there is high wear.

I checked all my thru hulls and seacocks and replaced one last night that was stuck open. I ended up using the new flanged design that I bolted to a piece of fiberglass board now bedded in the bilge. I doubt that will ever break the seal. The remaining seacocks I lubed on both sides and they are fine but there's two I'll plan on replacing at next haulout just as preventative.

The cutlass bearing appears very new even though I've owned the boat two years. There's no play in the shaft and no wear I can find. I'm replacing the two anodes on the shaft as well.

My question to anyone is there anything else I should check while the boat is out? Due to the yard schedule I won't have it back in until Thursday afternoon and I would hate to drop the boat back in and have forgotten something.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Shaft seal. Rudder bushings. Raw water pump and exchanger.
Old 10-30-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Knot meter wheel (if you have one) look for any cracking of the fins easy fix out of the water not so much when when is splashed. Other than that I second the rudder exam.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-30-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
So currently my boat is on the hard in a boatyard while the bottom is getting some new paint. I checked all over and found no osmotic blisters which is great. I sanded down and put two coats of primer on the iron keel and am putting two coats of Interlux Ultra on the whole bottom with any extra going on the front of the keel and bow area where there is high wear.

I checked all my thru hulls and seacocks and replaced one last night that was stuck open. I ended up using the new flanged design that I bolted to a piece of fiberglass board now bedded in the bilge. I doubt that will ever break the seal. The remaining seacocks I lubed on both sides and they are fine but there's two I'll plan on replacing at next haulout just as preventative.

The cutlass bearing appears very new even though I've owned the boat two years. There's no play in the shaft and no wear I can find. I'm replacing the two anodes on the shaft as well.

My question to anyone is there anything else I should check while the boat is out? Due to the yard schedule I won't have it back in until Thursday afternoon and I would hate to drop the boat back in and have forgotten something.
Sorry for the hijack -- what is osmotic blistering ? It looks like my (many many ) layers of anti fouling paint are chipping off in certain spots... 34 year old boat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 10-30-2013

Here is a picture and a link to a good description.

Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
Here is a picture and a link to a good description.

Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis

I am not sure what I have going on . These are shots of the boat I took a couple asks ago

High Hopes

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 10-30-2013

Sometimes hard to tell from pictures but to me it looks like the layers of hull coating over the years are starting to loose the ability to bond. You can just paint over them but it will continue to spread. It may be time for taking all those coats of bottom paint and barrier off and starting from a clean slate. Again can be hard to tell without being there to see the texture but those look more like chipping and peeling than blistering IMO.

Old 10-30-2013

I'll check the rudder bearings. The shaft seal is good. No problems with the rudder or keel with cracking. I pulled the heat exchanger and pump over the summer for other maintenance and checked them at that time. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 10-30-2013

Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
Sometimes hard to tell from pictures but to me it looks like the layers of hull coating over the years are starting to loose the ability to bond. You can just paint over them but it will continue to spread. It may be time for taking all those coats of bottom paint and barrier off and starting from a clean slate. Again can be hard to tell without being there to see the texture but those look more like chipping and peeling than blistering IMO.
I was assuming paint. Plus, the bottom is still coloured underneath .... Does that mean anything ?
I was told sandblasting with walnut shells is a good way to go....

I'll stop hijacking the thread now !!!!!!! Sorry!!

High Hopes

Mark Twain
Old 10-30-2013

You can sandblast it or just do what I did and pay someone $15/hr to sand it down after hours. Was cheaper than renting the sand blaster.