Maintenance while in the boatyard. - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-30-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Letrappes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
Maintenance while in the boatyard.

So currently my boat is on the hard in a boatyard while the bottom is getting some new paint. I checked all over and found no osmotic blisters which is great. I sanded down and put two coats of primer on the iron keel and am putting two coats of Interlux Ultra on the whole bottom with any extra going on the front of the keel and bow area where there is high wear.

I checked all my thru hulls and seacocks and replaced one last night that was stuck open. I ended up using the new flanged design that I bolted to a piece of fiberglass board now bedded in the bilge. I doubt that will ever break the seal. The remaining seacocks I lubed on both sides and they are fine but there's two I'll plan on replacing at next haulout just as preventative.

The cutlass bearing appears very new even though I've owned the boat two years. There's no play in the shaft and no wear I can find. I'm replacing the two anodes on the shaft as well.

My question to anyone is there anything else I should check while the boat is out? Due to the yard schedule I won't have it back in until Thursday afternoon and I would hate to drop the boat back in and have forgotten something.
Letrappes is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Senior Member
 
Delta-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 539
Thanks: 34
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 2
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Shaft seal. Rudder bushings. Raw water pump and exchanger.

Eric
Delta-T
1968 Bristol 32 Keel/Crb Hull 26
Narragansett Bay RI USA
Delta-T is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Flossmoor, Illinois
Posts: 205
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Knot meter wheel (if you have one) look for any cracking of the fins easy fix out of the water not so much when when is splashed. Other than that I second the rudder exam.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gedaggett is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Member
 
CanadianNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 90
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrappes View Post
So currently my boat is on the hard in a boatyard while the bottom is getting some new paint. I checked all over and found no osmotic blisters which is great. I sanded down and put two coats of primer on the iron keel and am putting two coats of Interlux Ultra on the whole bottom with any extra going on the front of the keel and bow area where there is high wear.

I checked all my thru hulls and seacocks and replaced one last night that was stuck open. I ended up using the new flanged design that I bolted to a piece of fiberglass board now bedded in the bilge. I doubt that will ever break the seal. The remaining seacocks I lubed on both sides and they are fine but there's two I'll plan on replacing at next haulout just as preventative.

The cutlass bearing appears very new even though I've owned the boat two years. There's no play in the shaft and no wear I can find. I'm replacing the two anodes on the shaft as well.

My question to anyone is there anything else I should check while the boat is out? Due to the yard schedule I won't have it back in until Thursday afternoon and I would hate to drop the boat back in and have forgotten something.
Sorry for the hijack -- what is osmotic blistering ? It looks like my (many many ) layers of anti fouling paint are chipping off in certain spots... 34 year old boat...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

___________________

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
CanadianNorth is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Flossmoor, Illinois
Posts: 205
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Here is a picture and a link to a good description.

Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gedaggett is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Member
 
CanadianNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 90
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
Here is a picture and a link to a good description.

Hartoft Marine Survey, Ltd., Annapolis



I am not sure what I have going on . These are shots of the boat I took a couple asks ago


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

___________________

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
CanadianNorth is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Flossmoor, Illinois
Posts: 205
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Sometimes hard to tell from pictures but to me it looks like the layers of hull coating over the years are starting to loose the ability to bond. You can just paint over them but it will continue to spread. It may be time for taking all those coats of bottom paint and barrier off and starting from a clean slate. Again can be hard to tell without being there to see the texture but those look more like chipping and peeling than blistering IMO.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gedaggett is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 13 Old 10-30-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Letrappes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
I'll check the rudder bearings. The shaft seal is good. No problems with the rudder or keel with cracking. I pulled the heat exchanger and pump over the summer for other maintenance and checked them at that time. Thanks for the ideas.
Letrappes is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 13 Old 10-30-2013
Member
 
CanadianNorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 90
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
 
Maintenance while in the boatyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
Sometimes hard to tell from pictures but to me it looks like the layers of hull coating over the years are starting to loose the ability to bond. You can just paint over them but it will continue to spread. It may be time for taking all those coats of bottom paint and barrier off and starting from a clean slate. Again can be hard to tell without being there to see the texture but those look more like chipping and peeling than blistering IMO.
I was assuming paint. Plus, the bottom is still coloured underneath .... Does that mean anything ?
I was told sandblasting with walnut shells is a good way to go....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll stop hijacking the thread now !!!!!!! Sorry!!

___________________

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.


Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
CanadianNorth is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 13 Old 10-30-2013 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Letrappes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 6
 
You can sandblast it or just do what I did and pay someone $15/hr to sand it down after hours. Was cheaper than renting the sand blaster.
Letrappes is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boatyard fire administrator General Discussion (sailing related) 0 12-21-2012 10:57 AM
Jacks boatyard. larrytwo Pacific Northwest & Alaska 3 10-04-2012 04:03 PM
DIY Boatyard in SC cd33nepenthe Gear & Maintenance 5 10-12-2009 05:42 PM
Boatyard Discussion Cheetie Gear & Maintenance 59 03-19-2009 09:31 AM
boatyard - connecticut rperret General Discussion (sailing related) 5 06-27-2003 07:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome