Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for pointers on painting the bottom

Ditto on using a Scotchpad on vc17. I prefer to use it wet, either by dipping it in a bucket of water now and then, or hosing the bottom of the boat. No sense in exposing yourself to any copper dust...the water keeps it out of the air and your lungs.

When it comes time to apply another coat of vc17, of course you'll find plenty of into here on Sailnet. The beauty of vc17, as another poster pointed out in this thread, is that vc17 can be applied very thin, and therefore you avoid buildup. After years and years of applying vc17, you can still have a nice, smooth bottom without a bunch of buildup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

justified is on a distinguished road

I won't comment on the painting portion because it has been covered nicely already. As far as painting under the stands.......move/ reposition them one set at a time. It won't fall over, just loosen and move enough to expose the bare spot.

Peter
Old 10-31-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Since your T30 is on a cradle with only 4 supports the above idea should be done by using an additional jack stand/boat jack to support the hull where you have lowered the cradle supports; one at a time.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Since your T30 is on a cradle with only 4 supports the above idea should be done by using an additional jack stand/boat jack to support the hull where you have lowered the cradle supports; one at a time.
I would suggest that you make sure to chain the stand to the cradle top and bottom just to make sure you don't get a shift. I like to err on the side of caution and over engineering. That being said Caleb's idea is good if you are comfortable with it and have a good stand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 10-31-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Keep in mind that many marinas do not want you to move the jack stands yourself they can do it for you its all insurance related if I recall correctly
Delta-T likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 11-01-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

I doubt the guy would care or even know about it. He is rarely there. I could get another jack stand. but really the boat should be fine on three stands for a few minutes? It actually has a v shaped support in front also so there are technically five stands. There are alot of power boats around here that are just on a middle block with two stands in the back and nothing in the front.
Old 11-01-2013

cruisingdream is on a distinguished road

Don't go with just 3 points holding the boat.

From your pics I see you have vc17 it only takes a couple of hours to do , save it till the spring. like others have said just scuff the surface apply in thin coats (probably 1 to 1 1/2 cans) save some so when you go to launch, when the yard picks the boat up it only takes 5 min to scuff the 4 pad areas and quickly paint and another 10 min to dry. Most yards understand this and allow time for you to do it .
also the bottom (under side)of the keel may be a grounding point & should not be painted.

Last edited by cruisingdream; 11-01-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-01-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Fellow posters who are reading this with the same original question (type) in mind please take note.

We (sail net folks) can help only if we know enough about your boat stuff to help.

The original response was (essentially) sand it off and repaint - a very good answer to someone with 5 layers of unablated ablative paint and barnacle stubs and such.

A very very bad answer to someone with VC17 and a barrier coat and that's it.
abrahamx and Sn0wman like this.
Old 11-01-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I doubt the guy would care or even know about it. He is rarely there. I could get another jack stand. but really the boat should be fine on three stands for a few minutes? It actually has a v shaped support in front also so there are technically five stands. There are alot of power boats around here that are just on a middle block with two stands in the back and nothing in the front.
Perhaps not, well until a boat falls because someone moved the stands incorrectly. I wouldn't want someone reading this thread to think its okay to move their jack stands without checking with the marina office first. "The guy" may not care, but the person whom owns the boat near yours might care? Its a presumptuous to think otherwise IMO.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 11-02-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

I agree. As I already stated. Even with the extensive rigging experience I have that I would not even think of moving the stands myself.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.