Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Looking for pointers on painting the bottom

The tartan 30 I bought this year has a newly sealed and painted bottom. The surveyor told me that when I go to paint to just go right over the old coat. Do I need to clean first and with what? No sanding at all or what? Also It is sitting in a cradle and I'm not sure on how to get the spots where the jackstands are or near the bottom of the keel. Appreciate any advice. Also how much paint would I need and how much does it cost?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for pointers on painting the bottom

Paint is expensive $120 a gal is the cheapest and you can spend a lot more depending on what your needs are. I paint every year, the new paint are made to ware off, so build up in not an issue with these cheaper paints. Some paints are made to last for years so they do not need to he hauled out in locations the hauling is not needed. These people still need to have the scum cleaned off. You need to know what is on your boat now.

Yes clean, and yes sand. I use a Black and Decker orbital sander with 8 holes for dust pick up. In RI it is required to use a vacuum and or contain dust. Also best to get one of those Tyvek jump suit, you can get at Home Depot or Lowes to protect yourself. And gloves also respirator or particle mask.

On the spots you can't get to, the yard that puts your boat in should have paint to touch up. I leave them a small amount of paint and disposable brush to do the touch ups. Ask them, they will tell you.

And last...how much paint. I buy the gal. and it lasts like 3 years. Use a 1/4 nap roller cover with a short 24" long handle on the frame so you can use two hands. Add a brushing thinner to the paint to get the paint to stay wet longer and spread farther. You only want a thin smooth coat.
Old 10-31-2013

What about sanding the sealer off. I was told that it was good for the life of the boat. I would hate to sand into that. I think it has vc17 on it now.
Old 10-31-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Light sanding, it does not take much time. And yes, be careful not to go through to the barrier coat. Sometimes it is necessary to sand through the primer if you have blisters. You should be ready to touch the primer up as well.
Old 10-31-2013

after reading up on the issue a little more I am now worried about paint flying on my neighbors boats. they are real close together. Probably less than a foot apart at the beam. I want to get in soon so I dont want to have to wait for them. I guess just tape up a tarp to their boat before I start ha? Also Are you saying that I have a seal coat and a primer coat, then the vc17?
Old 10-31-2013

I have two good respirators as I used to do alot of painting. I think all vc17 goes on gold. then turns blue or something in the water.
Old 10-31-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Here is my opinion on the matter. VC17 will do just fine with a light "scuffing" with 3M pad as shown.

You do not need to use an orbital sander, it is overkill. Just spray down the surface and scuff it with the scotch bright pad and then thoroughly rinse it to get all residue off. Then, after it has completely dried, tape your water line with blue painters tape. If you are using VC17 (which is primarily a great lakes coating) it dries very quickly. You can just roll it with a roller for flat finishes (1/4 is what I use.) Pour out smaller amounts into your roller tray at a time as the stuff evaporates and dries out very quickly. The coating you are applying is very thin. Don't think of it like painting your walls at home but more like priming a metal post before applying the enamel. I usually roll out a section at a time covering areas that are about 3x4 feet in area.
As far as painting under the pad the stuff dries so quickly you just hit those spots when the boat is lifted into the sling for launch. In about 5 minutes the paint will be dry enough to hit the water.

If you already have VC17 on the boat you do not have to barrier and seal-coat before the VC17 goes on. The boat will already have the barrier coat on it. You are just putting a buildup on the existing VC17 as it falls off over the season by design. If you have blisters and or flaking barrier coat that is a different story.
!!!ALWAYS WEAR A RESPIRATOR WHEN WORKING WITH THESE COATINGS. THEY HAVE COPPER AND OTHER NASTY STUFF WHEN AIRBORNE IN FINE PARTICULATES!!!
chucklesR likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.

Last edited by gedaggett; 10-31-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2013

Sn0wman is on a distinguished road

VC-17 is pretty easy to work with. Its a very thin paint so it really never builds up too badly. All we usually do is a light power wash in the fall when we pull the boat, and then in the spring we do a light scuffing and then roll on another coat. We are in cooler water and sail the boat quite a bit so we hardly ever get any slime buildup.
Old 10-31-2013

I dont have a power washer but I did go over it with some dishsoap and a brush
Old 10-31-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I dont have a power washer but I did go over it with some dishsoap and a brush
Should be plenty sufficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.