SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Uneven Water Loss in Batteries (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/105202-uneven-water-loss-batteries.html)

night0wl 10-31-2013 04:03 PM

Uneven Water Loss in Batteries

Hi All,

Strange questions. I keep my 343 on a battery charger (3 stage marine rated) while she's at dock. I also do monthly battery maintenance, including topping off the banks w/distilled H20 once a month.

In my most recent maintenance cycle, I noticed an oddity. My house bank is two Group 27 batteries wired in parallel. They are in battery boxes below the aft bunk which has a vent. In topping off the fluids, I noticed that 1 battery had much lower water level than the other. The other battery had water level that was full (required nothing) while the other was really low (almost to the point of showing the plates).

What could be causing this uneven water loss?

svHyLyte 10-31-2013 08:14 PM

Re: Uneven Water Loss in Batteries

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 1112889)
Hi All,

Strange questions. I keep my 343 on a battery charger (3 stage marine rated) while she's at dock. I also do monthly battery maintenance, including topping off the banks w/distilled H20 once a month.

In my most recent maintenance cycle, I noticed an oddity. My house bank is two Group 27 batteries wired in parallel. They are in battery boxes below the aft bunk which has a vent. In topping off the fluids, I noticed that 1 battery had much lower water level than the other. The other battery had water level that was full (required nothing) while the other was really low (almost to the point of showing the plates).

What could be causing this uneven water loss?

Old batteries develop internal shorts that generate a fair amount of heat and cook-off electrolyte. Try reversing the order of the batteries and doing an equalization cycle. That may give you a bit more time but it may simply be time to replace the batteries. I now rotate the order of our batteries about once every 6 months which, supposedly, will give them a somewhat longer life span.

night0wl 10-31-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 1113018)
Old batteries develop internal shorts that generate a fair amount of heat and cook-off electrolyte. Try reversing the order of the batteries and doing an equalization cycle. That may give you a bit more time but it may simply be time to replace the batteries. I now rotate the order of our batteries about once every 6 months which, supposedly, will give them a somewhat longer life span.

The batteries are brand new...4 months old to be exact.

I will, however, rotate them next month if the fluid is low again and see what is going on.

mitiempo 11-01-2013 01:10 AM

How are the 2 house bank batteries wired? Are you drawing across them evenly or are both connections to loads only on one battery?

On a bank of 2 batteries in parallel the positive lead should come from one battery and the negative lead from the other. If both cables are on the same battery the batteries are not being evenly used.

fryewe 11-01-2013 08:37 AM

Off gassing (water loss) primarily occurs during charging. Water loss is also higher when electrolyte temperatures are hotter.

If you have watered the batteries each month and this is the first month the water inventory in the batteries has been noticeably different (and the first that month there has been appreciable water loss) I would check to see if there is current leakage through a ground path or an overlooked load that has been draining the batteries…either of which could cause increased charging and thus greater water loss. Of course check all connections on the charging path for both batteries. Is one battery wired for starting only and the other for house loads?

night0wl 11-01-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 1113144)
How are the 2 house bank batteries wired? Are you drawing across them evenly or are both connections to loads only on one battery?

On a bank of 2 batteries in parallel the positive lead should come from one battery and the negative lead from the other. If both cables are on the same battery the batteries are not being evenly used.

This is indeed how they are wired (positive on one end of the bank, negative on the other end of the bank)

chucklesR 11-01-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night0wl (Post 1113230)
This is indeed how they are wired (positive on one end of the bank, negative on the other end of the bank)

Equalize them and check again after a month. You may have one going bad.

Delta-T 11-01-2013 11:04 AM

Would it not be prudent to do a hydrometer test on each cell to see if you have a bad cell going? You say you top off batts each month? Was led ever exposed to the air? The only time I have had to add water is when batts are going bad, excessive charging, charger never stops charging because batts never reach full charge. I have not had to add water once this year, two year old batts, but I did not use much batts this year, no long trips.

Am I all wet with the hydrometer test? viscosity testing of a battery?

night0wl 11-01-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delta-T (Post 1113250)
Would it not be prudent to do a hydrometer test on each cell to see if you have a bad cell going? You say you top off batts each month? Was led ever exposed to the air? The only time I have had to add water is when batts are going bad, excessive charging, charger never stops charging because batts never reach full charge. I have not had to add water once this year, two year old batts, but I did not use much batts this year, no long trips.

Am I all wet with the hydrometer test? viscosity testing of a battery?

i'll do a hydrometer check, but being 4 months old, I suspect they're good. In Florida, you have to top off fluid more often. The summer temps are really harsh on batteries.

Chas H 11-01-2013 03:08 PM

A specific gravity test (hydrometer) is a good way to test a lead-acid storage battery. A fully charged battery will have a specific gravity around 1.260. Hopefully the difference between cells is no greater than .05. (The specific gravity of water is 1.0) A hydrometer reading below 1.225 shows a discharged battery or maybe a sulfated battery. A sulfated battery will not take a full charge because the sulfuric acid has hardened on the plates (lead sulfate) like dry peanut butter on a knife. A sulfated battery may have a high voltage reading but it's only a trick. Don't believe it. As a battery charges the sulfate (sulfuric acid) comes out of the plates increasing the specific gravity of the electrolyte. Hydrogen is released during charging hence the need to add water. I'd guess hot Florida weather cause evaporation beyond what we see in more temperate climes.

Another twist is plate grid material which changes required charging voltages.

A load test is a better test, but requires test equipment beyond what most people have in their tool pouch.

Specific Gravity of Battery Electrolyte - Engineers Edge

- CH