Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-31-2013

Chikokishi is on a distinguished road
Standing/Running Rig diagrams?

I am trying to develop an authentic gaff rig cutter's rigging. I have "the gaff rig handbook" and "Hand reef and steer" Both of which are gaff rig booksthat explain the rigging, but neither have useful 'here's a diagram of how the rigging in this section can be built'

Ive been looking online for a while, does anyone have a lead to where a persom may get a good visual on the actual working part of the rigging? Not and explanation of what it does.. more of how to build it.

Chiko
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Standing/Running Rig diagrams?

Chiko, if those books don't help, I doubt you'll find anything really helpful on-line since it is tricky to show it all in 2 dimensions and gaff rigs (just like Bermudan rigs) developed over time to suit different types of boats.

Your best bet is to join a Classic Yacht Association and go sailing on a few gaffers.. a lot. That way you'll get to understand what the functions of the different parts of the rig are, how they work and how it is all put together. Then find out which boat-builders in your area deal with traditional rigs and go talk to them.
Old 10-31-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

How authentic do you intend to get with the standing rigging Chiko ? Wire or rope ? If rope, natural fiber, synthetic or natural fiber with a wire core ?
I believe you may find some of the mechanics for rigging in a traditional method in the "The Complete Rigger's Apprentice" by Brion Toss.
Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging
It won't say "Here's how to rig the forward lowers on a gaffer" so much as "Here's how to rig a deadeye then parcel and worm it"

Last edited by capttb; 10-31-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2013

by "authentic" what i meant was that i intend on trying to make the rigging look like it should. the boat i am building is only 11.75' long, so really getting rigging and everything is slightly overkill. But its the presence and style that i am going for. I will most likely be using a synthetic rope as they (from what i hear) offer up less complications.

What i was looking for was .. yeah.. diagrams of how to make the things and such, or how they are rigged up. I cant find detailed enough pictures online, and mostly just modern things with wenches and electric motors on youtube.

As for joining a yacht club... well.. im 400 miles from anywhere that uses sailboats on a regular basis.. and probably a good 1000 from anywhere where ill find a real gaff ship. In fact... the largest lake within an hour drive from me kills every thing that enters it. So thats that.

Thanks for the replies!
Chiko
Old 10-31-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Free book:
"The Art of Rigging", Biddlecombe
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikokishi View Post
by "authentic" what i meant was that i intend on trying to make the rigging look like it should. the boat i am building is only 11.75' long, so really getting rigging and everything is slightly overkill. But its the presence and style that i am going for. I will most likely be using a synthetic rope as they (from what i hear) offer up less complications.

What i was looking for was .. yeah.. diagrams of how to make the things and such, or how they are rigged up. I cant find detailed enough pictures online, and mostly just modern things with wenches and electric motors on youtube.
If you can find a copy of the Discovery Channel TV Series "Getting Afloat", I think you'll find that helpful.

It's filmed in the UK, but in restoring an old gaff-rigged Sharpie dinghy, Nick does a very good job of explaining how various parts of the rig are made and how they work.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-31-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Make your own blocks, tackles, cleats, deadeyes, lanyards & more, with the best illustrations of plain & fancy ropework ever:

The Marlinspike Sailor:Amazon:Books The Marlinspike Sailor:Amazon:Books

===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-31-2013

thanks for the leads. im looking for the videos now.