Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Windvanes

So a while back when purchasing some stuff for my boat i bought a windvane being poor i decided to get an unknown brand made of stainless steel rather than a monitor or norvane etc. i was wondering if anyone had ever sen a vane like it and knew its name so i could get info about it. Also I was wondering how you mount a windvane. I get that the sort of flat mount part goes on my transom but i was wondering more about the tube that the airvane attackes to it has a little collar on it with a ubolt looking thing is my backrail supposed to attach to that. Also once i mount it next year how do i use it. Ive never sailed on a boat with a vane before always autopilots, i have an autopilot, but i decided to make the plunge and was hoping someone could help me in installing it. Im planning on cruising to newfoundland this year and then heading to bermuda in 2015 btw if anyones curious. I havent been on here lately because I`ve been so busy working on the boat, working and working on a degree, but stuff has settled down a bit so i figured it would be god to get some advice on the stuff i dont know how to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Windvanes-p1130504.jpg   Windvanes-p1130505.jpg   Windvanes-p1130506.jpg   Windvanes-p1130507.jpg   Windvanes-p1130508.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2013

Re: Windvanes

more photos
Attached Thumbnails
Windvanes-p1130562.jpg   Windvanes-p1130563.jpg   Windvanes-p1130564.jpg   Windvanes-p1130565.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You may need to mock it up on a sawhorse or something so it's recognizably a windvane.. Don't see any identifying features this way.

Everyone else: we're talking about installing this on a Contest 30, FYI...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-01-2013

desert rat is on a distinguished road

My guess is that it is a home built one of a kind. mount it on a fence or large box and try to figure out where everything goes and or does. Probably a pendulum design, the ore goes in the water otherwise this neub is lost.
Old 11-01-2013

alright I will do that when i get to my boat next because its in the garage at the house i keep my boat at. Here is a picture pof the boat from the rear fpor everyone. The outboard mount thats pictured was removed i just havent taken pictures in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Windvanes-20120928_112540.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Yup ... hard to make it out sitting on the ground like that. Does look like a home-built version.

As to the how-to-use question, we sail with an Aries on our boat, and I've used a Monitor (and we're headed for NFLD in two years). There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that hard once you have it properly mounted and rigged to your tiller or wheel. BTW I assume this is a servo-pendulum version ... that's what it looks like to me.

The basic operation of a windvane is first get the boat on course, then trim and balance the sails as well as possible. Once you're happy, rotate the vane part of the windvane into the neutral position. In effect, you want to put the vane in irons, or perhaps just slightly off. Then lock the wv control lines onto the helm and fine-tune with the vane's control lines.

... It's actually a lot easier than my description makes it sound.

You do have to watch when steering with a windvane, especially here on the Great Lakes where wind is constantly variable. You're steering to the wind, so if the wind changes direction, so does your course.

Hope it works out. I love our Aries. We have an electric auto as well, but I'd much rather use the wv. It's like a living extension of our boat. Always amazing to watch it work.
Old 11-02-2013

It may be home built the thing is i saw a boat with the exact same vane. So i thought it was some odd brand. I know its none of the brands that we see here all the time, but maybe it was made from plans and thats why it looks the same, my boat doesnt have the inverse transom so much as you can see my transom is sort of an inverse bubble so i will take a block of hardwood sculpt it to fit the curve of my stern and epoxy it and then bolt the windvane thru the stern, I am out of the country for a while but i will post more pics of the vane later in a way that it is more visible. It may be a month or so until i am back, I'm in north carolina right now. I found a pic of the airvane too, ill attach it. i have a tillerpilot i used it on the nordic folkboat that i breifly owned and sailed several times to and from kingston last summer because i was getting tired of being on the hard doing refits, and it worked well even in moderately bad weather i just thought that offshore a windvane would be more reliable. I have watched some youtube videos of using a vane i think it makes sense, i will probably play with it on the water and figure it out.
Old 11-02-2013

Heres a photo of the airvane and a close up of my transom
Attached Thumbnails
Windvanes-20120928_154248.jpg   Windvanes-p1130501.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road

Nice to see you back Duchess

From those pictures I can't even figure out what type it is. If you feel like a little reading, Self Steering Under Sail is a good reference. It describes the various types and list the manufacturers, including those no longer around.

It's a bit dated but you can download it here and take a look at the descriptions and pictures.
http://www.windpilot.com/n/pdf/bookeng.pdf

Then nail that thing to something and try to figure out what you've got.
Old 11-04-2013

I found some pictures that were sent to me when i bought the vane from the previous owner they might be more useful also the emails i dug up say that it is in fact a servo pendulum vane. from the pdf file that you linked to id say it is of the h vane sort.
Attached Thumbnails
Windvanes-cimg0034.jpg   Windvanes-cimg0035.jpg   Windvanes-cimg0036.jpg   Windvanes-cimg0038.jpg   Windvanes-cimg0039.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.