Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road
Small boat anchor

I bought a Catalina 22 and am going through the stuff that came with the boat. It has two anchors, one is a 13 lb Danforth-style anchor that I think is from West Marine. It's on 4' of chain and 160' of nylon. This seems like reasonable tackle for the sand and mud around here, and 160' seems ample.

The other anchor is a 10 lb "Navy Type" anchor which I've never seen before.

Navy Type Anchor Aluminum Finish
Roloff 10NAF Navy Anchor 10Lb Alum Finish
It has 4' of chain, 80' of nylon, and looks completely useless.

Has anyone used this kind of anchor? Would anyone use this to anchor a 2300 lb 22' boat?
Old 11-03-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Small boat anchor

I'd use neither personally. But the navy anchor does have a purpose, I just literally do not remember the conditions it does best in.

I'd go with a 10lb claw/fast set equal style anchor personally. UNLESS you are in literal mud ALL the time. without a current to twist you around and lose the initial bite of the anchor.

Marty
Old 11-03-2013
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road

Depends what you are doing. If overnighting neither is suitable, if just for lunch then the danforth might be fine. The navy is not too useful.

I bought a Mantus anchor since I cruise a week at a time every summer. Best boat bucks I ever spent.
oysterman23 likes this.
Old 11-03-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road

I'd lean heavily toward the danforth. I recently bought a Precision 23, and it came with a West Marine danforth style anchor. My previous boat was a 31 foot Catalina that we used to cruise all over Lake Michigan, so we equipped it with a Manson Supreme.

Given the way I intend to use the Precision 23, I see no reason to buy a new anchor. I'm not planning on any overnight anchoring or extreme conditions. Just dropping the hook in familiar waters for lunch and swimming.

How are you planning to use your anchor? If your demands are low, like mine, I see no reason to spring for anything better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

Second the above statements. The danforth should be fine for a lunch anchor, and the navy one is only good for about a second, maybe beach anchor.

I also agree that the 25lb mantus seems like a really nice anchor for a really solid anchor but may be a little overkill. I didn't have the money at the time so ended up with a 13lb plow for $60 shipped that I have to say held great in sandy conditions and I put some serious stress on it kedging off the shoals in Pamlico sound.
Old 11-03-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think the above advice is spot on I also have a c-22 about the same anchors a 8lb Danforth and a 14lbs I am able to back down on them and they hold for lunch and over night In fresh water calm coves with little or no wind. I will gasp.. tie to a tree also. My use for the Catalina -22 is overnight like that. I am not a pro so do your own math.
You will have to ask where ? and what weather conditions you will take yours in My guess in fresh water with out a tide you might be out for lunch and a swim Or even over night?
Lots of threads on how to anchor check them out
Kind regards Lou
Old 11-03-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

I suspect the navy anchor is actually a rock anchor the Danforth style is hands down the anchor for a small boat like yours. Stick with what you have
Old 11-04-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

I have a Catalina 22 and messed around with a Danforth-style anchor for two years when I first got my boat. I then got a modern "next gen" plow/rollbar anchor and the difference [for me, for where I sail] is ridiculous. The modern anchor sets like I ran into something. It resets on its own in changing wind or tide. It's never failed to set on the first try. It may have contributed to saving my marriage because anchoring is so less annoying. I sleep a lot better at anchor now.

You will get a multitude of opinions on this, most of them conflicting. This is a controversial topic. But for my boat, where I sail, and how I use my anchor, it would be:
  • RocMantus Supreme-style NextGen: Only anchor I'd realistically consider
  • Danforth: I use my old Danforth as my second/emergency anchor
  • Weird Navy-ish anchor: nautical yard ornament

Last edited by chip; 11-04-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2013

danr620 is on a distinguished road

All,

Just to jump in on above comments. What if you are anchoring in mud alot with a 21 ft trailer sailor? My danford holds part of the time. Are the mud type fishing anchor anything to try?

thanks

Dan
Old 11-04-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I have anchored in many conditions. The best overnight anchoring advice I can offer is to use a GPS anchor watch. There are no guarantees when it come to anchoring. In unprotected waters increased waves and wind increases the load. Most anchor selection charts will not only be in lbs of boat weight or known as displacement weight and wind and wave. I have been to many events (air shows, Jazz fests, etc) and the most common error I see people make is to not have enough rode to depth ratio...minimum is 3 times the rode to depth, and a good hold at 5 times. And also the more chain the better. More chain holds that anchor tongue down. When the tongue is raised the anchors are made to release, this is the reason for the chain and the rode angle.