Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013

jraymer is on a distinguished road
Question Inner forestay addition

How much of a problem is it to add an inner forestay to a sloop rigged boat? I am thinking it would be nice to have more sail plan options because I mostly single hand. I was thinking detachable at the deck and equipped with roller furling.
How would you attach stay to mast?
How would you add a halyard?
Would you have to beef up the deck?

Thanks.

Jim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Inner forestay addition

This is called a Solent Stay. If you search the internet you will find a lot of information on adding them.

You need to figure out how you'll beef up your foredeck to handle the load. This is normally done with a stay mounted inside the boat going from the inner part of the foredeck padeye down to the bow.

I've looked into this pretty seriously on my boat, so that I can run hank-on 100% and storm jibs for higher wind days. It looks like it will be about a $1000-$1500 project not including the sails, but including the cost to drop my mast.
Old 11-04-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymer View Post
How much of a problem is it to add an inner forestay to a sloop rigged boat? I am thinking it would be nice to have more sail plan options because I mostly single hand. I was thinking detachable at the deck and equipped with roller furling.
How would you attach stay to mast?
How would you add a halyard?
Would you have to beef up the deck?

Thanks.

Jim.
I am very interested in this as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain
Old 11-04-2013

Alex.

Being able to go to a heavy weather foresail is what got me thinking about this modification.
Could the stay be farther aft than your thinking, by the forward cabin hatch?

Jim.
Old 11-04-2013

The upper mount of the stay needs to be close to the mast head, or you will be stuck adding running backstays to support the mast at the new forestay location. If you did this but left the new forestay running far aft you would end up with very high aspect ratio sails. I'd rather have a normal aspect ratio so that used sails could work.
Old 11-04-2013

CanadianNorth is on a distinguished road
Inner forestay addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymer View Post
Alex.

Being able to go to a heavy weather foresail is what got me thinking about this modification.
Could the stay be farther aft than your thinking, by the forward cabin hatch?

Jim.

I am thinking of a stay behind the anchor locker up as high on the mast as possible . I am primarily interested in a storm jib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Hopes
1979 Glastron Spirit 28, Hull #28.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off your bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.

Mark Twain

Last edited by CanadianNorth; 11-04-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I would really advise checking with a real rigger, someone like Brion Toss. You need someone who has the wherewithal to do the calculations on the rig to determine if it is even possible, if it is if you need running backs (not all masts need them if they are strong enough already), where to put the Solent stay, and what type of force it will experience.

Frankly I don't get the advantage of doing this. Presuming you have a relatively modern roller furler on the headstay, it is much easier to just take it down and put up a storm sail before storms roll in. And this approach doesn't require you to furl the big headsail every time you want to tack it just to get it passed the second stay.
Old 11-04-2013

I agree with the advice to work with a qualified rigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Frankly I don't get the advantage of doing this. Presuming you have a relatively modern roller furler on the headstay, it is much easier to just take it down and put up a storm sail before storms roll in. And this approach doesn't require you to furl the big headsail every time you want to tack it just to get it passed the second stay.
Changing head sails on roller furling when single handed is not very easy. You need to deal with the halyard and feed the sail at the same time. It is a lot harder than with hank-on sails. The luff tape sails are also harder than hank-on sails to flake properly singlehanded, especially while on the boat.

With a solent stay the inner forestay is removed when you use the roller furling sail. On a modern implementation the solent stay will be a low stretch synthetic (like Dynex Dux) that is stored alongside the mast when it is not in use.

From my point of view the solent stay gives me the ability to use my 135% genoa most of the time (it is the right sail when winds are 15kt or less, which is typicaly here in Seattle) with all of the ease of use of roller furling. In higher winds I could deploy the solent stay and run a 100% jib and then when it is time to double reef I can hank on a storm jib.

It is possible to roll down my 135% genoa to a 100% jib, but even with a high end furler and foam luff panels the shape is not as good as a properly cut 100% jib.

Without this setup I have trouble pointing much at all in winds over 30 knots. The boat gets overpowered until I reduce sail, and the sail shape of a 50% rolled up jib is too poor to point. Running on main only works best, but my boat doesn't point very well on main only.

The solent stay is still enough work and cost that I'm heavily considering having a heavy weather 90-100% sail (that can be rolled down to 60 or 70% pretty well) cut for my boat and changing sails on heavy air days.
CanadianNorth (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

There's a lot to think about this. I have a solent rig from the get go and I love it. Still it's a PIA when using the 140% genny coastal. It means everytime I tack the genny I have to roll the genny , tack, then roll it out on the new side.
Also a solent does not replace a true storm jib. For me this is an issue only >50kts. Boat came with a padeye anchored below deck to my forward watertight bulkhead for a stormjib stay. However, leaving this attached is also a PIA. SO- I just rigged a dyneema stay with a tensioning device at deck level. The top has a ball which fits into a slot in the mast. I already had the running backstays which I leave unrigged coastal. When going offshore the stay goes up, the stormsail rigged and left on deck and the running backstays rigged but left at mast pulpits.

In short BEFORE spending any money get a good rigger to look at your boat. See what's possible and what it will cost. Think about how you really use the boat and what deficiencies you think you have at present. Explore your needs and options before deciding prematurely by internet search which solent supplies you will install or if a solent is the right thing.
Old 11-04-2013

The first thing I am going to do when I, if I, start this project is consult a rigger.
What I would really like to do is have a detachable inner stay connected to the deck maybe halfway between the mast and bow, run up to the mast at the same angle as the head stay dedicated for a storm jib.
The problems I'm concerned about are, beefing up the deck at that attachment, reinforcing the mast at that attachment and would the jib be too far aft to be efficient.

Jim.

Tags
sail handling , solent stay

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.