SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My Manual Bilge Pump is Useless

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  gedaggett 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a cockpit sole mounted manual bilge pump that is leaky. It leaks when pumping, and it sits right over the prop shaft- more leaking every time it rains. An inspection port would not only possibly repair this problem, but may even allow me to get better access to the stuffing box.
Has anyone ever removed theirs and replaced with an inspection port? If so, how well do the inspection ports hold up? Are they water tight?
Thanks.

#2 ·
What are you going to use as a bilge pump when you remove it. i would suggest to you that you definitely want a manual bilge pump as a safety feature. You don't want to rely solely on electronic equipment in an emergency. You can rebuild and rebid/ reinstall it in such a way that it doesn't leak. Who makes this pump, someone might be able to provide you with a link to a rebuild kit. moving it out of the cockpit like you said is also an option but I wouldn't get rid of it.

#3 ·
... and you are not looking for a repair/rebuild kit because... :confused:?

#4 ·
I completely understand your point. But I do have an automatic pump that works well, and I have a handheld pump that works much better than the whale gusher (although you have to go down to the bilge to pump).
The old pump has a metal plate that you lift up to get access. I cannot figure out how the rain water is leaking past it. I have seen the repair kit, but I don't know if that will stop the rain water??
Also, I am too big to get down to the stuffing box. And I am not going to get any smaller.

#5 ·
It has been my experience that when you do the rebuild you should replace the boot but also remove the through plate completely clean the backside of the of the plate and the fiberglass it mounts to it and reinstall it with a good sealant (Sikeflex or Dow Corning 795). Having your back up manual bilge pump in the cockpit is by design. You can helm and pump at the same time. It is my opinion that the best thing is to rebuild it. Shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

#7 ·
Amazon, Sears, some harware stores and building suppliers.

But 795 is a silicone so don't use that of there is any chance you might want to use something different later. Better to stay with a polyurethane like Sikaflex 291/295 or 3M 400/4200.

#8 ·
Google search or amazon. You could also call Dow corporate and see if you have a local retailer that carries it. It is by far the best stuff I have used. I have used it to install fastener-less replacement polycarbonate windows on Catalina 30's and use it for many other applications. You do not need to scuff the polycarbonate or plexiglass before application. Good stuff.

#10 ·
I have used it to install fastener-less replacement polycarbonate windows
It's absolutely the right thing for that (although I'm about to use 700). The problem is getting anything else to stick there in the future. If there is any chance you might want to use anything else, better to use a polyurathane in the first place.

edit: fixed typo

#9 ·
Eherlihy -I purchased Dow 795 from my local glass shop.

FirstCandC - perhaps you can make a gasket for the bilge pump and remove it when access to the stuffing box is required? Not sure about the mounting screws though - they may be relying on the sealant. A transition plate could resolve this. Check out your options when you remove it to rebuild it. It may turn out it does not help that much with access.

#12 ·
Perhaps refurbish the pump and bed it with this. Even if the pump shifts from the stress of use, the butyl should maintain a seal.

Reactions: mitiempo
#14 ·
Rebuild the manual pump, I've done this on two Whale pumps and in both cases I didn't actually have to replace any of the seals or the diaphragm. Both times there was corrosion in the pump body and when everything was cleaned up and reassembled the pumps were good as new.
Have you actually tried pumping out from the bilge overboard using your hand pump? You do have a hose that reaches right? If you are alone and pumping like crazy, the last thing you want to be doing is stopping pumping to go and empty the bucket overboard.

#15 ·
...Have you actually tried pumping out from the bilge overboard using your hand pump? You do have a hose that reaches right? If you are alone and pumping like crazy, the last thing you want to be doing is stopping pumping to go and empty the bucket overboard.
Or you can pump into the galley sink or head sink.

#19 ·
Yes, you want a manual pump and one that you can use from the steering station. You don't want to have to go below to pump as a manual hand pump would require. that way you can keep watch while pumping, and if it flails to keep up you will be on deck. I looked at one boat that had the normal spot to put a pump handle in the cockpit and one in the head. I asked if it was a manual pump out for the holding tank, and he said no just another manual bilge pump. Guess he had two activities he did not want disturbed if he had to go to manual pump mode!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.