Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-08-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road
Re: Second-hand sails

I have bought used sails before. If I were you I would buy from bacon sails. There located in Annapolis but they ship. I have bought from them before and got a storm sail that was practically new, all the stitching looked new not a single wrinkle in the cloth, the hanks were shiny. Speaking of which i need to get a new main, the marina I kept my boat at up until the last year seems to have misplaced mine I have called them trying to locate it but alas no luck so i am in the same metaphorical boat as you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

Just noticed you aren't in north america so scratch bacon sails off your list but I am sure you have a used sails dealer that is good over there. If not i have heard that lee sails makes good sails that are decently priced and from where you are located shipping wouldn't be awful either.
Old 11-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I'm considering buying a sail from Bacon Sails, but it is really hard to evaluate condition from their tiny blurb. What I primarily want to know about is sail shape, and what they primarily write about is fabric staining. Shipping the sail across the country and back will cost close to $100, so I don't want to make a mistake.

How have others found their experiences to be with sails that they purchased there? For a sail that says "Very Good" was the shape also very good? You could still get the draft ahead of the center of the sail, and the draft wasn't too deep? Also, do they negotiate pricing at all?

The only large source for used sails in Seattle was Second Wave, and they've stopped handling sails. The sail that I'm looking for also isn't a common size.

Last edited by Alex W; 11-08-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Shipping the sail across the country and back will cost close to $100.
at least. If it's not too heavy, you'll be under $100.

Quote:
How have others found their experiences to be with sails that they purchased there? For a sail that says "Very Good" was the shape also very good? You could still get the draft ahead of the center of the sail, and the draft wasn't too deep? Also, do they negotiate pricing at all?
They don't look at shape. Period. They look at material, stitching, and staining to get an idea of how they were used. I'm sure they'll take a reasonable offer, never hurts to ask.

I was in the market for a #4 headsail (storm jib) when racing and a reef and a #3 was too much. Bacons had one. I asked for photos, it looked like it was cut down from a larger main. No worries, I picked it up and tried to hoist it on my boat, the luff they listed was 5/32 tape, it was actually 3/16, didn't fit. They're in annapolis, my boat is in Solomons (1.5 hours away). 3 hours on the road and a full refund, the day was a wash. I think the sail would've been ok with another tape on it, but that's another $100.

Something as simple as that can waste a lot of time and money. I would only buy a used chute online and even then, you have to ask yourself, 'why are they selling it if it's that good'? There must be something wrong with it. Occassionally you can get a great deal, but that's the exception.........not the rule.

If you're looking for economic sails talk to your local rep. Or even email Bacons, they also cut sails. You won't win a regional champ w/ em, but they'll get you around the course just fine.
Old 11-08-2013
always busy with sailing

I've bought two chutes used and online, both were asymmetrical North Sails gennakers. I think they likely lived on a cruising boat for 10 years but were never used. Eventually someone sold the boat, then a year later they found the sail in their garage and sold the sail. I got good deals both times.

A friend got great deals on some sails at Second Wave back when they sold them. A storm jib and #1 for $350 combined, both were in barely used condition and still had a nice shape to them. Second Wave didn't have the sail that I wanted anytime in the last year, and has stopped handling sails as of 2 months ago. Sadly they are likely to be closing soon, they've lost their lease and last I heard they hadn't found a new spot.

I'm looking for a #3 for my Pearson for when the furling genoa is too much sail. I hate flying a rolled up headsail, I'd rather change sails at the dock. I have a feeling that a 100% would end up living on my boat most of the winter. In the end I may end up buying a new sail just to make sure that I get a sail that fits and is cut for my needs.
Old 11-08-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post

I'm looking for a #3 for my Pearson for when the furling genoa is too much sail. I hate flying a rolled up headsail, I'd rather change sails at the dock. I have a feeling that a 100% would end up living on my boat most of the winter. In the end I may end up buying a new sail just to make sure that I get a sail that fits and is cut for my needs.
Alex we were in the same boat this time last year.. only our 'jib' was undersized and getting tired. We scoured the onlines and used sails bins everywhere looking for a decent fit. Did find a couple of boats with similar dimensions, but, looking at the costs, shipping, the question marks you're entertaining now, we decided to buy new from a local loft. Quite happy with the result. We've kept the undersized, tired jib on board and will 'change down' if conditions warrant, I'm with you in the 'no partial rolls' page - esp beating.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-10-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
A main on the other hand, seem to get thrown out when well worn! So I personally am not sure you could get a main used, cut, and make it work per say vs just going new! I would just go for the new one if you have time to wait etc.
After making some enquiries, it seems that the second-hand sail joint around here has shut up shop after 32 years and shipped all their stock to Sydney!!

I'm going to see a sailmaker today (not the bunny I've been using.. another one) about getting the luff curve cut out of my headsail, so I'll ask him for a quote on a new main..
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Seems I underestimated how much a new main might cost: $3,230.00 including short battens and three reefs. Yee..OUCH!!
Old 11-11-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

How big of a main do you have? with that cost, I am going to swag 250-300sq ft? That would be a big boy!

Marty
Old 11-11-2013
always busy with sailing

Marty: note that he is in Australia. Even though the exchange rate is close these days there might be other factors that make sail prices pretty different.

Classic30: Get a couple of quotes. Quotes on sails from lofts in Seattle have varied by 100% for me. Recommendations on fabric and features (types of battens, depth of reef, etc) have varied quite a bit as well.

There is one sail that has the right size and shape for my boat on Craigslist, but the seller seems to be ignoring phone calls and email (aka flakelist). I'll probably end up with a new sail, one that will match the new genoa that I bought in June.