Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-11-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Second-hand sails

Alex, even with exchange, 3G for a main on a 30' boat, assuming he is looking at a dacron is pricey. So am assuming it is larger than my main at 195#. But then again, my main was ~4G! But it is a string style from Ullman. I could have gotten a dacron from 1500-2500 depending upon different options etc.

Not sure I would try to buy a main used, and cut to fit, UNLESS it was so close, or from a sister ship that was race intensely, with only say half to a whole season/year, then it might work. Headsails, as said, if you can find one from a 1d fleet that is a season old, it probably has a lot of life left from a casual racer/cruiser perspective.

Marty
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
How big of a main do you have? with that cost, I am going to swag 250-300sq ft? That would be a big boy!
G'day Marty - it's 11.277m on the luff, 11.51m on the leech and 4.343m on the foot, about 0.5m roach, 3 reefs and short battens - so, around 270sq ft in your part of the world. For curiosity's sake, would you mind asking your local guy for a comparison cost + shipping? ..if it's hassle, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Alex, even with exchange, 3G for a main on a 30' boat, assuming he is looking at a dacron is pricey. So am assuming it is larger than my main at 195#. But then again, my main was ~4G! But it is a string style from Ullman. I could have gotten a dacron from 1500-2500 depending upon different options etc.
The guy I went to is a one-man show who has been in the industry for decades and I bought a vectran jib for the Hartley from him years ago, so I know he makes high quality no-expense-spared sails. He did say that Dacron isn't as cheap now as it was a year or so ago and that's pushed the price up, but I'm not sure what gives there.. If he's right, given labour costs these days, ~+4G for string style is probably about right.

Alex, I'll certainly get a couple of quotes, but I'm still not sure how you compare them since it isn't exactly apples-for-apples once I talk to eg. Taskers who make them in China.

Quote:
Not sure I would try to buy a main used, and cut to fit, UNLESS it was so close, or from a sister ship that was race intensely, with only say half to a whole season/year, then it might work....
That's exactly what I did to get the sail I have now. It was actually a freebie from one of the guys in the fleet who changed his rig and had this one sitting in his shed taking up space. The cloth was in good condition, but it needed a panel added to lengthen it for my rig - and that was my first mistake. I got Doyles to modify it (it was their sail) and they f$$ked the entire thing, charging me $1,000 for the priviledge.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-11-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2013

Cam,

Do you have an ullman loft near you? would be surprised if you did not. BUT, I can give it a shot..........

If it were me, I would look at what was called a CAL cloth. There is a different term for it. Priced is similar to dacron 5-10% more, but it is a panel sewn laminate. I have a 140 made of it, very strong pulling sail vs my 155 which is a string also. Then it pulls a lot better than dacron too. One person I know with it is able to roller furl the 155 cal tighter and smaller than a 135 dacron that he replaced. Could be worth looking into something like this too.

Marty
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Cam,

Do you have an ullman loft near you? would be surprised if you did not. BUT, I can give it a shot..........
We do.. it's a bit of a drive though. I don't know anything about them or know anyone who uses them. They any good?
Old 11-11-2013

I have 3 or 4 Ullman sails. I like them better than my north sails for different and various reason.........but that is me.

Probably like many sail makers, they all seem to get material from 2-3 places, then use that material to however they feel makes a sail good. Some like North do have there own, but again, probably made by someone else under a patent or equal.

Marty
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

I've asked them for a quote. Thanks, Marty
Old 11-11-2013

Tri-Axis Endurance Laminate

There is a link to the sail cloth I was typing about earlier. Get a quote on that material too, assuming it is legal for the racing you do etc.

marty
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Interesting stuff.. It's grey, right? Is this what you're using?

What exactly do they mean by: "The performance life of Tri-Axis sails will significantly outlast Dacron. However, if you expect to use your sail for the next 15 years, regardless of what shape it may have, then you may want to consider Dacron." Are they saying it doesn't last as long as Dacron??

Last edited by Classic30; 11-11-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2013

Mine is a bit yellowish gray if you will. as I am tying, I think I have a pic I can post.

The sail itself shape wise will last longer than dacron. BUT, yeah probably about yr 10-12 the tri axis will be shot like a dacron at 15. The laminate sails do not stretch as quick, say 5% a yr, vs 10% for dacron. But somewhere down the line, when a laminate starts to go, to goes! My laminates are 4-6 yrs old and doing very well with little stretch etc vs some I know with dacron, they are approaching gone from a racing standpoint.

Another I like about them, is they do not stretch as much in windy conditions. You may also want to upgrade your sheets and halyards from sta-set to something like sampsons XLS extra with dynema in the middle so the rope is more in line with the sail cloth from a stretchy stand point. You do get a bit more speed with less heeling. And a broader wind range to work with. I notice it mostly in the lighter wind ranges vs top end.

do not have a pic under sail, but do have the pic of it rolled up after shipping, next to a 3oz nylon drifter.

Last edited by blt2ski; 11-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Hmm... thanks Marty! I'll let you know what they come back with.