Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-12-2013

ahab211 is on a distinguished road
Second-hand sails

Picked up some used Dacron sails from Kent sails in Michigan for my Catalina 27. The genoa was cut from a 30 Cat and luff tape added. It was a North sail sold by Catalina Direct and has sailed well. Buying a used mainsail wasn't as successful as the UK loose footed main was solid and well made but showed it's age. The former numbers were seen in the cloth and would be hard to cover with new numbers! I returned it for a new main at fall prices and for roughly $915 plus tax minus the $500 I paid for the original sail I have new number and emblem, bag and unique batten Velcro pockets with tool to easily install the batten and pull tabs to remove them! The batten setup was worth the purchase compared to putting a stitch in to hold the previous main ! Loose footed mains sail great. So YA to new mains and Re-cut genoas.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Second-hand sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
Hmm... thanks Marty! I'll let you know what they come back with.
The sailmaker I saw called back and said he'd mistakenly worked up a price on a tri-radial laminate - Dacron was more like $2,480.00..

It's been a few days now and US haven't responded to my email other than to say: "Your information has been forwarded to a sail consultant who will contact you shortly". I'll give them a call next week..
Old 11-16-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road
Re: Second-hand sails

I have always had great luck with MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS .. Never bought anything from them that was not as good (or better) than advertised. They are located in the USA, but at least it's on the west coast. Also their location provides a great source of used sails and equipment from local "yachties" who will replace a sail (or hardware) because it has a few stains, or something new and "better" is on the market. One man's trash, is another man's treasure.

Of course, this comes from the view of a full-time low-budget cruiser who has never been able to justify the cost of a new sail. Keep em fixed till you can afford a replacement, then keep the old one as a possible oh-s*** spare. Cut down, simple patches, and extra reef points have always been relatively cheap (in my experience) in relationship to a new sail. Never a bad plan to work on your old "spares" yourself. Never know when you may unzip a sail 1000 miles from a sailmaker. Use em up, wear em out, make em do. On a long trip, I would much rather have 1 very good main 1 ok main, and 1 POS main onboard than 1 "new" main. Same for headsails. Best hank-on heavy weather headsail I ever had on the old 45 was a cut down main from a smaller boat with 3 sets of reef points. Used that sail in a lot of less than optimal situations, and never had an issue. Reef it down, and fly it.

Minney's also has lots of hardware (and I mean lots) but you have to contact them via email or phone. Bought a bunch of new 10" bronze horn cleats for the old boat, and they charged me by the pound...

Good luck.

Onboard - Solitaire
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook