Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road
should I replace my standing rigging myself

This winter I definitely need to replace my standing rigging. I was at my local home depot and noticed that they carry stainless steel wire rope the size and style that is appropriate for my boat. I need to save money as much as possible and was thinking I could just buy the ends from a marine supplier but buy the wire rope in bulk from my home depot and put them together myself. I am sure I can physically do it and are wondering if there is something I'm overlooking. I can get a 250 ft roll of stainless steel wire rope for $79. The ends are going to cost much more than the wire rope. Also looking for someplace to acquire the ends for as little money as possible. The boat is a 1977 26ft trailer sailor, fractional rig, used exclusively on a fresh water lake. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
should I replace my standing rigging myself-buffalo-20120523-00526-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: should I replace my standing rigging myself

I assume you are talking about a product like this:
Everbilt 3/16 in. x 125 ft. Stainless Steel Wire Rope-13950 at The Home Depot

Standing rigging is normally 1x19 stainless cable. The stuff at Home Depot is much more flexible and intended for low-tension uses like building deck railings.

Additionally the proper wire isn't that much more expensive. The 5/32" 1x19 cable used on your boat should be about 50 cents per foot. The expensive part is in the ends and the tooling to put it all together. Buying everything in one place and installing it yourself can probably save you money by having someone else do the swaging of the ends onto the cable.
Old 11-12-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH3 Boyer View Post
This winter I definitely need to replace my standing rigging. I was at my local home depot and noticed that they carry stainless steel wire rope the size and style that is appropriate for my boat. I need to save money as much as possible and was thinking I could just buy the ends from a marine supplier but buy the wire rope in bulk from my home depot and put them together myself. I am sure I can physically do it and are wondering if there is something I'm overlooking. I can get a 250 ft roll of stainless steel wire rope for $79. The ends are going to cost much more than the wire rope. Also looking for someplace to acquire the ends for as little money as possible. The boat is a 1977 26ft trailer sailor, fractional rig, used exclusively on a fresh water lake. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Frankly, considering you have no way of knowing the source or quality of the material, I think that would be a false economy considering how inexpensive good 1x19 wire rope is from a reliable provider such as the SailNet Store (above left) or Defender. See 1 x 19 WIRE - Type 316SS and Marine Wire Cable on Sale. Further, considering the cost of the connections, I suspect that you might find that sending your rigging off to be matched/replaced by a reliable supplier such as JSI (aka Island Nautical) might prove no more costly in the long run. Further, if the wire needs replacing, I suspect the rigging screws, pins and toggles might need a do-over as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 11-12-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Good 316 stainless wire is cheap... don't but crap that will make your mast fall!

If you want to rig as cheaply and easily as possible, just use nicopress sleeves with the best quality wire. Riggingonly sells top grade wire for cheap. Then do a proper crack inspection on the rest of your hardware and keep anything that doesn't have cracks, corrosion, wear, or bending fatigue.
ABH3 Boyer likes this.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-12-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Another option would be to use Dynex-Dux (or the NE ropes equivalent using sk-75). I made my backstay out of the stuff and I know you can get emergency shroud kits of the same (via Coligo marine, I think). You'd just have to splice in some thimbles and you'd save on the cable and all swaged fittings (the fittings are actually the most expensive). Just an idea...

Edit- double ck the price-- the more I look at the cost of cable, wire might be cheaper (although the fittings will cost quite a bit more if you have to replace those.

Last edited by Irunbird; 11-12-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-12-2013

ABH3 Boyer is on a distinguished road

Nicopress sleeves sounds like the way to go and is how my rigging is now. That will also keep the extra hardware to a minimum. Most of the turnbuckles have already been replaced so I guess I just need to shop around the wire rope, obviously using the Depot wire rope is a bad idea. Thanks for the quick response guys.
Old 11-12-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Woops- never mind!

Dynex Dux?.the greatest product ever? | Rig Pro Newport's Blog
Old 11-12-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

A new set of standing rigging for that boat should be about $300. I replaced my Back Stay on my Mac Venture 222 about 3 years ago and the whole stay was about $50. The only thing I had to do was Crimp on the the Stainless eye (used the crimp @ west marine for free I prefer to have the professional do it and then me install it. How much are you really going to save? The price difference of you making it and a professional rigger is nominal when you factor in the quality of what he can do. I never had concern about the swaged fitting at the top of the mast. In my opinion it would be better to drop the mast and send a rigger the rigging and have them redo it for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 11-12-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
This is a perfect example of a professional not understanding new materials. Dux is wholy unsutable for sheets, and most working lines onboard because it is incredibly stiff, and requires bending radiuses more like wire than traditional line. It is however perfect for rigging, thou unlike wire which is sized for strength, Dux rigging is sized to control creep.

The Open 60's that are using Dux rigging are putting 50,000psi of hydrolic compression on their masts and it's working fine.
Old 11-12-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Dux is a good material for some things. But it does stretch a little and there is still the creep issue. These are two separate things.

Dux is pre-stretched heat set dyneema. It's a brand name. There are others on the market. NER is also making their own heat set pre-stretched SK75 and I believe the industry will move towards 78 and 90.

For cost, stick with wire and find a local rigger who needs a bit of work. NEVER skimp on standing rigging. The liability alone of dropping a rig will far outway any cost savings.

I read that article and it was interesting they suggested dux for a spin halyard. Even on grand prix boats, the loads on a spin halyard can’t justify dux. I do believe that they can use it for sheets, as the initial stiffness is pretty bad, it softens up with use. A better application for sheet would be SK-90. And it’s not super pricey like Dux.