Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Stove options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
You mean CNG?? Compressed... rather than Liquified...
Like propane it is liquid I believe in the tank, but a gas when released. It is the only type of stove I have not used.

Duchess

First question - where will you be going? Cng is only available in some parts of North America, not in the rest of the world. Alcohol is rare in most parts of the world and very expensive if found. I have heard it said that in the Caribbean it is less expensive to use overproof rum! Alcohol is needed to prime a kerosene stove unless you use a propane torch which also works. As posted the kero burners are not produced anymore, the last ones we received were made in Portugal and very poor quality as well.

I have owned and cooked on kerosene stoves (Primus) in the 60's and early 70's, alcohol (the worst or the lot) and actually gasoline - Coleman stove used outside only in the 60's on my first small boat. For the last 25 years I have used propane and wouldn't go back to another fuel even if I was paid to.

The only reason Origo and other alcohol stoves are popular is because many are scared of propane. On a cooking basis only comparison propane would be the choice of the majority as it is with any professional cook, electric being not as good and not a choice on a small boat.

Propane is safe if used properly. All burners now have shut-offs if the flame goes out. It is one of the cleanest fuels. It doesn't smell in use nor make people nauseous as alcohol can. It is available worldwide - outside North America it is the major cooking fuel in virtually every country.

The tank can be rail mounted as many have done, which eliminates the need for a sealed locker. Propane sniffers can be purchased at a reasonable price.

I would recommend an Eno 2 burner gimbaled stove like the one shown at the bottom of the catalog pic below. It comes with pot holders and is easy to keep clean. Eno is Force 10 and they are available at any good marine store.
Attached Thumbnails
Stove options-3.jpg  
Old 11-13-2013
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Like choosing a boat, choosing a stove should be based on how you'll actually use it. If you're basically just heating stuff up, cooking some eggs and such, the Origo type is fine, and you can get fuel at any hardware/big box store. If you're more into "cooking", than I'd go with propane.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBzeer View Post
Like choosing a boat, choosing a stove should be based on how you'll actually use it. If you're basically just heating stuff up, cooking some eggs and such, the Origo type is fine, and you can get fuel at any hardware/big box store. If you're more into "cooking", than I'd go with propane.
Agreed. I believe the Duchess wants to travel far.
Old 11-13-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Hi duchess

You have to do your homework on how the different stove fuels work and how efficient they are, then decide which one to have. I donít remember seeing a stove that burns gasoline or anyone insane enough to want it.
Alcohol is ok for weekends but it does not have the BTUs for everyday cooking and is only available in the US and Canada. You can use other fuels on the stove but you take the chance. Kerosene in my opinion is the best, having used it daily for many years with no problems whatsoever, no soot, no flare ups no dirty pots, no smell. It does not have the same BTUs as propane, and you need to prime, but you donít need the extra monitoring necessary for a gas stove. The insurance companies like it too. However, the market dictated that propane is more convenient, because you just light it and cook, so the special kerosene burners are no longer available, at least I cannot find a source for the burners and parts anymore.
Gas has its drawbacks, but as stated above, if you take all the precautions, you should be fine.
Choose a stove that is easy to find parts and a fuel that does the job, this will be your home and you need to use the stove 3, 4 times everyday Ė so avoid having to start all over again when you get tired of eating cold or uncooked food.
so if kerosene is best which i have also read on atom voyages website, what is a good kerosene stove and where do i get one. last summer and the summer before i survived on uncooked canned, you do what you have o but id like to be able to eat things other than canned beans, soup and corn.
Old 11-13-2013

duchess of montrose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Like propane it is liquid I believe in the tank, but a gas when released. It is the only type of stove I have not used.

Duchess

First question - where will you be going? Cng is only available in some parts of North America, not in the rest of the world. Alcohol is rare in most parts of the world and very expensive if found. I have heard it said that in the Caribbean it is less expensive to use overproof rum! Alcohol is needed to prime a kerosene stove unless you use a propane torch which also works. As posted the kero burners are not produced anymore, the last ones we received were made in Portugal and very poor quality as well.

I have owned and cooked on kerosene stoves (Primus) in the 60's and early 70's, alcohol (the worst or the lot) and actually gasoline - Coleman stove used outside only in the 60's on my first small boat. For the last 25 years I have used propane and wouldn't go back to another fuel even if I was paid to.

The only reason Origo and other alcohol stoves are popular is because many are scared of propane. On a cooking basis only comparison propane would be the choice of the majority as it is with any professional cook, electric being not as good and not a choice on a small boat.

Propane is safe if used properly. All burners now have shut-offs if the flame goes out. It is one of the cleanest fuels. It doesn't smell in use nor make people nauseous as alcohol can. It is available worldwide - outside North America it is the major cooking fuel in virtually every country.

The tank can be rail mounted as many have done, which eliminates the need for a sealed locker. Propane sniffers can be purchased at a reasonable price.

I would recommend an Eno 2 burner gimbaled stove like the one shown at the bottom of the catalog pic below. It comes with pot holders and is easy to keep clean. Eno is Force 10 and they are available at any good marine store.
would you suggest that stove over the propane one i have now if i were to stay with this one what i could do is either store the mini propane botles in a sealed cooler that is kept on deck lashed to something or i could convert th stove to be able to be fed by a tank on the rail. I am getting the impression that alcohol doesnt have the power i need, and you say kerosene stoves are of low quality. I am planning on crusing toronto to newfoundland this year then heading for europe via bermuda and after that i will likely head back west to the carribean via bermuda, I am probably going to then work a bit and possibly go on a full circumnavigation slowly. possibly though the first part is for sure.
Old 11-13-2013

If you are happy with the single burner (I think) stove you have you could keep it. I would keep it as a second emergency stove and get a proper 2 burner gimbaled stove with outside tank.

You are planning a lot of travelling, so your priorities should be:

1. Availability of fuel
2. Ease of use
3. cost of fuel
4. efficiency of fuel including cleanliness and heat produced - alcohol vs propane for example

If your current stove is a one burner (not the Coleman but the Forespar) it is rather limiting. A 2 burner stove you can use when sailing (gimbaled) should be the minimum I would think. My stove is a 3 burner gimbaled with full oven with broiler - I regularly use the oven as well as 2 or 3 burners - just like at home, which is what my boat is. Camping is ok for a few days but it wears thin after a while.

Last edited by mitiempo; 11-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road

We have an Origo one-burner on our boat. The non-pressurized alcohol is relatively easy to find and it heats up FAST (much faster than we expected).

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Old 11-13-2013

casioqv is on a distinguished road

Duchess There's currently a gimbaled kerosene stove on ebay, search for "sea swing."

I use an MSR Dragonfly backpacking stove with kerosene on my boat, and love it (although it's not gimbaled). It's far more powerful than any stove (portable or not) I've ever used, and will boil a gigantic pot of water in minutes. Sometimes I run it on regular automotive diesel fuel, which is really cheap. It can also run on gasoline or white gas if I swap out a nozzle.

I think kerosene is the way to go for stoves as it's both safer, and more energy dense (so you burn a lot less fuel). The downside is that they can be a bit smoky when first lighting them, before they warm up.
christian.hess likes this.

Last edited by casioqv; 11-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslade8581 View Post
We have an Origo one-burner on our boat. The non-pressurized alcohol is relatively easy to find and it heats up FAST (much faster than we expected).
Relatively easy to find in North America - but not where the Duchess will be going.
Old 11-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Duchess There's currently a gimbaled kerosene stove on ebay, search for "sea swing."

I think kerosene is the way to go for stoves as it's both safer, and more energy dense (so you burn a lot less fuel). The downside is that they can be a bit smoky when first lighting them, before they warm up.
As far as fuel use 10 lbs of propane lasts me 6 to 8 weeks cooking aboard every day - I use the oven regularly as well.

There is no "safe fuel" really, if there was it wouldn't burn.

Alcohol is considered by many (including a few long term cruisers I know) as the most dangerous fuel. You often cannot see the flame. One cruiser had a flare-up with an alcohol stove and the water that was put on it just chased the flames under cabinetry - the boat was a total loss.
christian.hess likes this.

Tags
cooking , galley , propane , stove

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.