Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-19-2008
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Sorry to dredge this thread back up but this is a project that just keeps dragging on. I have installed a new Garmin Bronze Tri-ducer thru hull transducer (model# 010-10183-01) with a GSD 22 Sounder and Garmin 4008 chartplotter.

All of my cockpit instruments are older Raytheon (pre-Raymarine) ST60 instruments. I had two separate transducers (one for speed and one for depth) for the ST60's but had to choose between eliminating the speed or depth when I installed my new Garmin Tri-ducer. I opted to replace the speed with the triducer, rationalizing that it was better to have depth in the cockpit than speed. However, I miss the speed and log functions at my cockpit fingertips and would like to use the Tri-ducer to supply speed info to my ST60.

Currently, the Tri-ducer plugs directly into the GSD 22 sounder and then is relayed from there into the 4008 chartplotter. Is there any way to get the TriDucer to supply data to the ST60? Could I put a Y in the transducer cable with one lead going to the GSD 22 and one to the ST60? I believe the Tri-ducer sends info on a NMEA 0183 platform--is it possible to convert that to SeaTalk? I found a SeaTalk-NMEA converter but have not seen anything that converts NMEA to SeaTalk.

Neither Raymarine nor Garmin are interested in providing any helpful info--they just want to sell me whole new systems. I would really like to get this taken care of and I am willing to jury rig it if necessary. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Obelisk—

If the GSD22 does output in NMEA, you might be able to use a NMEA-Seatalk bridge. While Raymarine doesn't make one that goes from NMEA to Seatalk, some of the aftermarket NMEA multiplexers will do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-19-2008
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
sailingdog,

I have been looking at the Brookhouse Multiplexer with SeaTalk option(Brookhouse home for NMEA products) Have you had any experience with Brookhouse or offer an opinion on the best multiplexer?

Old 12-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Obelisk-

While I've used a Brookhouse-type multiplexers from several different labels, I've never used them for SeaTalk, just for NMEA, so what ever experience I have would probably not be useful.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-08-2009
Not A Real Member

Grumpymx is on a distinguished road
Post Brookhouse NMUX AIS-C with Sea Talk

I have a Brookhouse NMUX AIS-C with Sea Talk and USB option, which I think is great. I also have a Raymarine 85001 SeaTalk-NMEA 0183 converter, which I no longer use.

On Sea Talk is a RayStar 125 GPS, ST60 Wind, ST60 Speed, DMS250 depth, and a C80 MFD
NMEA 0183 talkers are AIS(@38400), DSC VHF and backup Garmin GPS, Fast Heading Sensor, and a PC with RayTech RNS.
NMEA 0183 4800 baud listeners are the Simrad WP30 (will sail to wind or WP), DSC VHF, and the Garmin 176c.
NMEA 0183 38400 baud listeners are the C80 and the PC via USB.

Everything SeaTalk and NMEA gets to the C80 and the PC with the RayTech RNS. The Garmin gets everything except AIS/FHS @4800.

The SeaTalk RayStar 125 is the primary GPS with an auto fallover in the NMUX that uses the NMEA Garmin GPS fix if the RayStar fails.

The C80 or the PC can drive the boat, the 176 is a bit to old to drive..

You can pace or filter the data as needed.
It really was a great solution when I had this kind of issue.
Old 09-15-2009

FrankW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk View Post
I found a SeaTalk-NMEA converter but have not seen anything that converts NMEA to SeaTalk.

Neither Raymarine nor Garmin are interested in providing any helpful info--they just want to sell me whole new systems. I would really like to get this taken care of and I am willing to jury rig it if necessary. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi obelisk,

I thought the Raymarine PC-SeaTalk-NMEA Interface Box would also translate from NMEA to SeaTalk. Is this wrong ?

If it does not - there are meanwhile a few converters out there, that do translate from NMEA to SeaTalk.
Since I have built a converter myself, I do not want to make advertising here. If you're still looking for it and can't find one - just send me a mail.

Regards
Frank

Last edited by FrankW; 09-15-2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-15-2009
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road
obelisk, The ST60 is a seatalk unit by the way. Also it will not act as a repeator. The depth unit must have a feed from its own transducer as the same as teh wind unit.

More modern versions the ST60+ will repeat

The easiest way is buy a differnt display repeater that accepts nmea0183. Note the seatalk NMEA bridge is one way
Old 07-17-2010

GTBecker is on a distinguished road
FrankW, I am interested in what you've done with your Seatalk-NMEA translator. I an an embedded device engineer and have pretty complex signaling on my cruiser. I've encountered weaknesses with Raytech Navigator that apparently only switching to Seatalk will correct - unless Flir's recent purchase of Raymarine restarts Raytech development.

Specifically, do you translate DSC/DSE and MSS/MSK sentences?
Old 07-17-2010

FrankW is on a distinguished road
Hi GTBecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBecker View Post
Specifically, do you translate DSC/DSE and MSS/MSK sentences?
Currently I do not translate DSC/DSE and MSS/MSK sentences. ( To be honest - I don't even know the MSS/MSK sentences. )

But - if you like - the source codes and the circuit diagram ist open source. I'd sent it to you if you like to have a look at it and maybe add new functions to it.

Frank
Old 07-17-2010

GTBecker is on a distinguished road
I'd enjoy seeing the code, yes. GTBecker at RighTime dot com. Still have a board?

Tom