Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-01-2004

dave8976 is on a distinguished road
ST60 Multi NMEA Interface

I am asking if anyone else has been successful in connecting a Horizon GPS chartplotter to a Raymarine ST60 Multi. The ST60 Multi has both Input and Output NMEA ports and should be able to send NMEA out based on the SeaTalk messages. I currently have the ST60 Multi connected to a Horizon GPS CP150 chart plotter. The ST60 Multi is able to display information from the GPS chart plotter. But the GPS chart plotter does not see any NMEA data from te ST60 Multi. Placing a digital scope on the ST60 Multi NMEA output port I cannot measure any digital signal. All of the software parameters in the ST60 Multi are set correctly with Alarm OFF and NMEA ON.. The unit is presently in at a Raymarine repair agent who has confirmed that no NMEA signal can be measured on his scope. He has also looked at a brand new ST60 Multi with the same results. Has anyone else come across this. I am suspecting that a product defect may exist with the ST60 Multi with the ability to generate proper NMEA data signal? Raymarine has not responded to my e-mails – poor customer service so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-2004

garygroves is on a distinguished road

Dave: What do you want the ST60 Multi to do?This instrument is a repeater instrument, and does not generate any data on its own - it only displays the data from another instrument (e.g., wind, depth, speed, gps). The primary communications means is through SeaTalk, Raymarine''s proprietary network protocol. If you want to display NMEA data passing over a SeaTalk network on a non-Seatalk instrument, i.e., your Horizon GPS Chartplotter, you will need a SeaTalk to NMEA converter box. Raymarine will gladly sell you one for a couple of hundred dollars. I have one set up and connected to my laptop through the serial ports and receive the full NMEA stream of data - all having been converted from SeaTalk through the converter. However, you still need a sender unit to generate the data.
Old 10-02-2004
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Not sure that Gary is right about needing the converter box. It would appear that the Multi is supposed to generate NMEA data from the seatalk bus. But he is correct that - no data on the seatalk bus - no data on the NMEA output. So, unless you have a second instrument (Depth, Speed, etc.) hooked up with the Multi you will not see any output (which should happen every two seconds) on the NMEA bus. BTW - depending upon what other Raymarine instrumentation you have you may find another NMEA to Seatalk converter - e.g. many of the Raymarine autopilot computers have such a capability
Old 10-02-2004

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

You are right about the Raymarine autopilots understanding and translating NEMA data. Raymarine''s own GPS units ''speak'' NEMA rather than Seatalk and so the GPS data goes into the Autopilot as NEMA. Once in the autopilot you should be able to read the output on your multi-unit, but I have not checked to see if that worked.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2004

dave8976 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your replies. My ST60 Multi is connected via Seatalk to an autohelm, depth, speed and wind. The ST Mulit acting as a repeater is able to diplay information from the other units. Also when it is connected to the GPS chartplotter via its NMEA Input port it displays the various GPS data such as time, Lat, Log, etc. But the ST60 Multi NMEA does not provide any NMEA data output even when I have double check all of the ST60 Multi software settings. As it turns out the NMEA output port does not conform to the electrical interface standards as expected by an NMEA output port. The NMEA interface box from Raymarine is required in order to provide the proper electrical signal. The Raymarine Interface box is connected via Seatalk and provided NMEA Input, Output as well as an PC interface RS232. When I purchased the ST60 Multi I thought I could use it asa repeater plus as a Seatalk to NMEA converter. The last part only applies if you are interested in sending NMEA data from the GPS to the ST60 Multi for the Autohelm and not the other way. My GPS chart plotter is able to record and display data from the other instruments such as depth, speed, wind and temp. Thus I was interested in connecting the ST60 Multi to the GPS for that reason. Thus a NMEA interface box is required if a person plans on connecting their Raymarine instruments to another vendor product. I installed the interface this weekend and now all of the instruments are exchanging information as they are designed to do.
Old 07-07-2008
1982 Skye 51

obelisk is on a distinguished road
Just found this thread in the archives and it almost explains my question. I have a RAYTHEON ST60 which is the same as the Raymarine models but older...I think. It has 2 NMEA (no mention of 0183 or 2000) ports and 2 SeaTalk ports. Here's my question: I just upgraded to a garmin 4008 Chartplotter, 18" Radome and GSD22 sounder. I am going to install a new transducer but I am wondering if I can eliminate my old Raymarine through-hull speed and depth transducers--will the old ST60 be able to read the new transducer's info and send it, via SeaTalk cables, to my instruments in the cockpit (which do not have NMEA ports)?

If this is possible, it would save loads of time and frustration!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The ST60 would be NMEA 0183, since the NMEA 2000 standard is a relatively recent development, and hasn't really been included in hardware older than a year or two old at this point.

It would help if you said what new transducer you are installing and how you're planning on connecting everything. If you're hoping to have an NMEA 0183 datastream go from the Garmin to the autopilot, carrying the depth and speed data, via the autopilot to the ST60 displays, my guess would be it isn't going to work. I seriously doubt the autopilot acts as an NMEA bridge, so I doubt that it would output the depth and speed information on the Seatalk network.

Even if the autopilot did work as a bridge, I don't believe that the ST60 display heads will display depth and speed data that don't come in via the transducer wires.
A repeater display would, but I don't think the primary displays, which were designed to be connected to the transducers, will display speed/depth data that comes in via SeaTalk.

I'd also recommend that you read the post in my signature to get the most out of your time on sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Dave, I have same config on my boat. This is correct, you'll need a protocol converter as the SeaTalk sentences are not directly translated to the NMEA bus. Then I wired it through my S3-G corepack. Again, it is good for NMEA-NMEA, SeaTalk-SeaTalk, but very limited to NMEA-Setalk and vice-versa. Some sentences present at SeaTalk are simply not forwarded to NMEA bus, and the oposit is true as well. I understand the private nature of SeaTalk, as some sentences has no equivalent at NMEA bus, but that should be true for the ones that have same correspondece in both sides. The Raymarine converter will find same problem as well, but I expect it to have a larger range on information translated from/to NMEA.

Anyway, I found rasonable the amount of information available, but you should expect more. Hopefully NMEA 2000 will fix that .....
Old 07-07-2008
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
I just went through Raymarine documentation and tech support for this exact question.

The autopilot core pack (or control head) will only translate and send a very small subset of messages from Seatalk to NMEA. Specific list of messages is in documentation, but really it only includes things related to autopilot operation. So, autopilot cannot act as a general purpose Seatalk to NMEA bridge.

To translate all messages from Seatalk to NMEA (and back) you do need their translatio box. This is somewhat silly, since Seatalk messages are virtually identical to their NMEA counterparts, but that's how Raymarine makes money.
Old 07-07-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I've got my entire Ray Marine st60+ sensor array (wind, speed, depth) plugged into my Lowrance 5200c as a NMEA 2000 with no translators. Seems to me it integrated quiet nicely. When I plug my laptop into the network the data all streams in correctly. The 5200c provides a pure 2000 network, it misses the Seatalk2 (Ray Marines version of 2000) specific sentences but everything else comes through just fine including water temp (speed log), depth, rudder sensor (autopilot) etc on both laptop and 5200c.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.