Confused about prop pitch, variance between prop brands - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Re: Confused about prop pitch, variance between prop brands

I like my Max-Prop a lot.

PYI does sell used, rebuilt ones at substantial discounts.

That's what I did. Call them up.

They also discount at the boat show... The shop is in Mukilteo. You will do better negotiating/options if you show up there personally

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I actually started this process by emailing PYI to find out what they sell refurbished ones for. It is a good discount, but perhaps not substantial. A 15" 2-blade prop that is $1534 new at pyacht.com is $1190 refurb from them for instance. That is about 75% of the new price.

One of the good reasons for me to consider a Max-Prop is that PYI is local and clearly does a great job of supporting the product. It is also not hard to find fans of the design, everyone who has them seems to like them.

I'm concerned about having even more prop-walk than my Campbell Sailer prop, which the 2-blade Max-Prop (what I can "afford" at new prices) appears to have. Maybe I'm reading too much into the YM review that shows the 2-blade Max-Prop as having a lot of prop-walk. It does make sense that it would have a lot of prop-walk since the blades go to full pitch in reverse. I started looking at alternatives due to prop-walk concerns.

The Yachting Monthly article got me thinking about folding props, despite me initially not considering them. The Flex-O-Fold has some nice characteristics in that review: best forward thrust, decent reverse thrust, minimal prop-walk. Almost all other reviews online (with the exception of Maine Sail's...good to have a strong counterpoint) are positive as well. Finally the prop is sold for a competitive price and requires less annual maintenance then the Max-Prop, making the overall cost a lot cheaper. However I might be able to take the Max-Prop with me to the next boat, so it could be a better "long term" investment.

At 7000lbs dry my boat is light compared to most inboard engine boats, I don't need world breaking reverse thrust. I do need to be able to stop while docking, but I don't see any evidence that I'd be giving that up.
Old 11-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I'd say based on what we've seen with our Max is that the prop walk is there.. certainly (mostly I like it, and 'use' it frequently while docking) but it is minimized by simply slipping the boat into reverse at idle and let it go.. the improved thrust pulls us out of our slip with little fuss and little walk (we walk to port and share a bay with a boat to port) Response seems nice and immediate.

Recalling our CS on the Choate, I'd say the prop walk would be similar to what we're experiencing now with the Max - a fair bit when we want it, if we want it, but not problematic at idle. The Max definitely has better 'bite' in reverse, which should be no surprise. btw both our 40 and our current boat share the same drivetrain (engine and gear).

As for taking the Max with you, that's only going to work if the shaft sizes are the same.. if you end up going up in size that may not be true. However, our max, when I bought it used ($600! ) had the right size hub but the wrong shaft taper... PYI replaced the hub with one with the proper taper and checked over the rest of it for $400. Not counting the first haulout costs (wasted when the prop didn't fit as expected) that's a pretty good deal.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-15-2013

My current docking situation makes prop-walk a hinder instead of a help. I have a port tie (which is great for a RH prop), but my final turn is to port. I can only use prop-walk to help me if I do a 270 degree standing turn to starboard. Those aren't a lot of fun in a narrow fairway and seem hard on the transmission. The prop-walk prevents me from being able to turn left/prop tight enough to line up well with the slip.

For all other reasons I like this slip, so I'm not looking to move based on that one feature. A prop with less prop-walk would help me.

If I could find a $600-$1000 used 3-bladed Max-Prop in good condition from a known/trustworthy seller I'd jump all over it. I'm pondering one listed on Houston CL, but high $ transactions with an unknown seller and not even the safety of eBay makes me nervous.
Old 11-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Possible to start backing into your slip?

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 11-15-2013

I've backed in a few times. We're technically (marina rules) not supposed to so that we don't crowd the boat next to us, but one advantage to this slip is that the boat next to me is 15' away and that is less of a concern.

Making the left turn while in reverse is also difficult since the boat doesn't turn as tightly in reverse as in forward. Doing a standing turn of 90 degrees then backing up is my high-wind docking manuever, but it isn't my favorite procedure.

The rudder turn locks on this era of Pearson are very tight and only allow the rudder to turn about 20 degrees (compared to about 45 degrees on other boats that I've sailed). I don't know why they are so tight. I've looked at adjusting them previously, but it wasn't so simple as the stops were bonded in place. I'll probably re-examine that this weekend.
Old 11-15-2013
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
The rudder turn locks on this era of Pearson are very tight and only allow the rudder to turn about 20 degrees (compared to about 45 degrees on other boats that I've sailed). I don't know why they are so tight. I've looked at adjusting them previously, but it wasn't so simple as the stops were bonded in place. I'll probably re-examine that this weekend.
Usually the stops are set to avoid the (raised) upper trailing edge of the rudder
actually contacting the hull.. so have a look at a currently-stopped hard-over position from outside and see how much 'room' you'd actually have left...

Old 11-17-2013

The boat is in the water, so I did the opposite and removed the stop, then turned the rudder lightly beyond the stop to see what happens. It can't go any farther without rubbing. Further investigation will have to wait until the boat is hauled (likely in the next month for the prop change).

I did watch a Catalina 30 dock in a slip with my orientation and turn much more sharply with the rudder hard over. One of the few minor complaints that I have with this boat.
Old 11-20-2013

Looks like I'm probably just going with a 2 blade Max-Prop. Flex-O-Fold isn't responding to my emails in anything like a timely manner (it took a week to get a price quote and it's been 3 days since I asked them for clarification on prop pitch).

I asked on the Pearson 28-2 forum and someone told me that their steering locks are set to allow a greater rudder angle than my own. I'm thinking that I'll do a couple of day haul to install the prop and see if I can figure out the rudder/hull interference at the same time.
Old 11-20-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
I'm thinking that I'll do a couple of day haul to install the prop...
Do yourself a favor and grow a third hand before you attempt the install. Just sayin'

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.