SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Propane Tank Mount

11K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Mervs1 
#1 ·
I''m looking for a couple of stainless propane tank holders that can be mounted outside of the aft pulpit rail.

I have seen this setup many times but can''t find out who makes them.

#3 ·
We made our own with SS tubing and some clamps...

#5 ·
I purchased a holder for the skinny 6# LP tank from the Fisheries in Seattle. They were great...it came standard with 1" fittings, but my arch is 1 1/4" tubing. Before jury-rigging something, I asked if the clamps be made for 1 1/4". HE got back to me and asked if $25.00 would be OK. OK?...I grabbed that fast. Who modifies anything today for $25? I have been delighted with the propane holder.

here is the link:

Fisheries - Product Detail

Bill

#8 ·
#10 ·
By the way, forgot to say that each of our 6# tanks last 4 to 6 weeks. That's for 2 of us, full time use in very remote areas. We carry 3 tanks, one in use & 2 spare. We used to carry 4, but never needed that much!

Greg

#13 ·
The photo was taken to show the tank. We DO have a white Sunbrella cover on it at all times.

We don't have a lot of space back there, so only have one, but we have never had a big problem with it that way.

Greg

#14 ·
Is this OK by ABYC? I am planning on building a proper locker under the helm seat on my 33, but I would like to get the heat going before that, as it is getting cold and I would like my bulkhead heater working! The proper locker (I have only taken visual measurements, but think it should work fine) should fit under the helm seat, will be sealed and properly vented out the stern. But I am not sure if it is "legal" to have the tank mounted on the stern rail. I will have a proper solenoid for sure.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
It is fine to mount the propane tank on the stern rail.It should be mounted low on the stanchion and facing aft.
The problem with Propane is that it is heavier than air.
With this set up you reduce the hazard having the Gas vent away from the cockpit or cabin
a proper propane certified hose and fittings are required.
I have sold these Stainless Steel Propane Tank Holders for more than 10 years
If you still have some concerns you might contact your marine insurance company.
thanks for your interest

#20 ·
Think I posted this way back up the thread. Just used a SS fender holder to mount our 6 pounder. Mounted the valve stuff on the holder and just drop the tank in. We made a Sunbrella cover and we are good to go. Mounted it in March 2003 and it's still working great after years of full time cruising and a few years of part time cruising

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.