Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2013

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
water heater element replacement

I have a water heater on my boat. I have the old heater element that apparently broke and was removed and where it was is caped with a plastic plug. I would like to make it work again. I would like a 120 volt element that plugs into an outlet on the boat while i am at the dock. My tank is a stainless cylinder about 6 gal. It has no name or brand or part # on it. I am wondering if it is home made. Where can I find an element for this. Does it have to be marine grade? It has a 1 1/2 in thread opening that it screws into the tank. I have been to defender with the old element and they have not been able to help. I am willing to text someone a pic if they think they can help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: water heater element replacement

It's a part you can actually get at the big box stores. just make sure it's a 120 volt element and it's the bolt or screw in type depending on how they made your tank. is there wiring still there for the thermostat and over current protection?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013

There is a black and a white wire near where the element would be. They are both taped over. I assume this is 12 volt. I don't want 12 volt because I don't have a generator. I would just like an element that has a cord to plug into a 120 volt outlet and screws into the tank. My motor is diesel but I do have propane tank on board. Should I be looking for something marine grade that won't create a spark or is something from a plumbing supply house OK? If I need marine grade where can I find it. I have looked but everything I have found is a replacement for a specific tank. As I stated there is no name brand on the tank.
Old 11-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

12 volt??? if the wires are black and white it's most likely 120 volt element. they are all made to heat water .. how is that not marine duty? LOL you STILL NEED to determine if there is a a thermostat. Does your boat (still a mystery to us) have a "shore power" panel? Look on the water heater for a spec plate too! since you want provide so little information and make it a "guessing game" it would be good to post photos too.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-16-2013

I am giving as detailed information a s I am able. To the best of my understanding a 120 volt system will have 3 wires ( pos, neutral and ground). 12 volt has black and white wires only. There is no switch, fuse or otherwise for a waterheater. The old element has a box attached which may have been to regulate temp. I will attempt to photo the old element and post it.
Old 11-16-2013

Unfortunately I am unable to send a photo with my droid. Howeverif anyone is well versed in this if you send me a private message with your phone # I can send you a pic.
Old 11-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Ground (usually green) may be connected almost anywhere on the WH.
Does yours look anything like this?

my current "project"!
Old 11-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

You need to look for ...

or

my current "project"!
Old 11-16-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Available at Home Depot I think?

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 11-16-2013

Does not really look like any of those. I wish I could post a pic but can't get it to work. I have the pic but it won't download.