Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2001

hedtrp is on a distinguished road
Leaky cabin roof- C&C34+

Purchased a 1990 C&C 34+. There is quite a bit of condensation in roof and plenty of leakage coming down mostly around plugs. Anyone with experience with this boat and such leaks? DM
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2001

paulk is on a distinguished road
Leaky cabin roof- C&C34+

We had cabintop problems with our boat too- leaks from poorly installed halyard clutches etc. caused large delaminations P & S about 2x5''on our J/36. Ended up cutting out inside covering, replacing rotted balsacore with new, and reglassing (polyester, not epoxy, to maintain same bending/strength characteristics as original material) Quite messy, but effective.
Old 04-30-2010
Annapolis, MD

jmarquez is on a distinguished road
Leaks C& C34+

We recently purchased a C&C34+. I've found several leaks as well. From your description I would first replace the Mast Boot and seal the perimeter of the Mast Collar where it meets the deck with 4200. We found a lot of water coming in at both locations and running down the head liner on either side of the boat.

For the mast boot I used two rolls of Rubbaweld® Mast Boot Tape. I plan to put a cover on this for protection from abrasion. Take the time to clean the collar well and make sure it drains through the small drain holes. Ours was gunked up with silicone. I also had to seal the mast's sail lug groove under the Boom Vang. It's bone dry now. However I'm still chasing leaks in other areas.

Other Water Leaks:
Interior of the Mast
Both Chainplates
Starboard Aft Port Light
Quarter Berth Hatch
Cockpit Speakers
Engine Intake Through-Hull
PSS Leakless Stuffing Box
Wire runs under the Pedistal
Radar Post Mount
Port Water Tank Hose Fitting
Propane Locker Drain - this disasterous set up warrants ints own thread

With all of this moisture in the boat and nearly no ventilation we've got some serious work ahead. Obviously addressing the leaks is first priority. I am also working to address the ventilation by doing the following:
- Install Two Nicro Solar Vents (Forward Hatch & Companionway)
- Install Two Clam Vents in Cockpit Lockers Under Helmsman Seat
- Install Two Dorades and Cowl Vents On Cabin Top
(We've moved the MainSheet to the Cockpit)

Any Suggestions or experience in this area is appreciated.

Last edited by jmarquez; 04-30-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Doubt they much care, as if they haven't fixed the leaking in NINE YEARS, they're probably dead from the mold and mildew that would take over the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez View Post
We recently purchased a C&C34+. I've found several leaks as well. From your description I would first replace the Mast Boot and seal the perimeter of the Mast Collar where it meets the deck with 4200. We found a lot of water coming in at both locations and running down the head liner on either side of the boat.

For the mast boot I used two rolls of Rubbaweld® Mast Boot Tape. I plan to put a cover on this for protection from abrasion. Take the time to clean the collar well and make sure it drains through the small drain holes. Ours was gunked up with silicone. I also had to seal the mast's sail lug groove under the Boom Vang. It's bone dry now. However I'm still chasing leaks in other areas.

Other Water Leaks:
Interior of the Mast
Nothing can really be done about this... just suck it up...and deal... install bilge pumps, preferably two, a small maintenance one as low as possible and a larger dewatering one a bit higher up. Use separate through hulls and DO NOT USE CHECK VALVES.
Quote:
Both Chainplates
Starboard Aft Port Light
Quarter Berth Hatch
Cockpit Speakers
Engine Intake Through-Hull
PSS Leakless Stuffing Box
These all need to be taken off and properly re-bedded. While you're doing it, pot the fastener holes and seal any areas of exposed core with thickened epoxy to prevent water from delaminating the deck or cabintop.

If the PSS is leaking, then you probably should re-build or replace it.
Quote:
Wire runs under the Pedistal
Radar Post Mount
Port Water Tank Hose Fitting
Propane Locker Drain - this disasterous set up warrants ints own thread
Again, each of these needs to be addressed.

Quote:
With all of this moisture in the boat and nearly no ventilation we've got some serious work ahead. Obviously addressing the leaks is first priority. I am also working to address the ventilation by doing the following:
- Install Two Nicro Solar Vents (Forward Hatch & Companionway)
One of these should be set for intake (companionway) and the other for exhaust (forward hatch).
Quote:
- Install Two Clam Vents in Cockpit Lockers Under Helmsman Seat
- Install Two Dorades and Cowl Vents On Cabin Top
(We've moved the MainSheet to the Cockpit)

Any Suggestions or experience in this area is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.