Leaky cabin roof- C&C34+ - SailNet Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-01-2001 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Leaky cabin roof- C&C34+

Purchased a 1990 C&C 34+. There is quite a bit of condensation in roof and plenty of leakage coming down mostly around plugs. Anyone with experience with this boat and such leaks? DM
hedtrp is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 04-02-2001
Senior Member
 
paulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: CT/ Long Island Sound
Posts: 2,609
Thanks: 4
Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 16
 
Leaky cabin roof- C&C34+

We had cabintop problems with our boat too- leaks from poorly installed halyard clutches etc. caused large delaminations P & S about 2x5''on our J/36. Ended up cutting out inside covering, replacing rotted balsacore with new, and reglassing (polyester, not epoxy, to maintain same bending/strength characteristics as original material) Quite messy, but effective.
paulk is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2010
Annapolis, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Leaks C& C34+

We recently purchased a C&C34+. I've found several leaks as well. From your description I would first replace the Mast Boot and seal the perimeter of the Mast Collar where it meets the deck with 4200. We found a lot of water coming in at both locations and running down the head liner on either side of the boat.

For the mast boot I used two rolls of Rubbaweld® Mast Boot Tape. I plan to put a cover on this for protection from abrasion. Take the time to clean the collar well and make sure it drains through the small drain holes. Ours was gunked up with silicone. I also had to seal the mast's sail lug groove under the Boom Vang. It's bone dry now. However I'm still chasing leaks in other areas.

Other Water Leaks:
Interior of the Mast
Both Chainplates
Starboard Aft Port Light
Quarter Berth Hatch
Cockpit Speakers
Engine Intake Through-Hull
PSS Leakless Stuffing Box
Wire runs under the Pedistal
Radar Post Mount
Port Water Tank Hose Fitting
Propane Locker Drain - this disasterous set up warrants ints own thread

With all of this moisture in the boat and nearly no ventilation we've got some serious work ahead. Obviously addressing the leaks is first priority. I am also working to address the ventilation by doing the following:
- Install Two Nicro Solar Vents (Forward Hatch & Companionway)
- Install Two Clam Vents in Cockpit Lockers Under Helmsman Seat
- Install Two Dorades and Cowl Vents On Cabin Top
(We've moved the MainSheet to the Cockpit)

Any Suggestions or experience in this area is appreciated.

Last edited by jmarquez; 04-30-2010 at 12:11 PM.
jmarquez is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 4 Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28
 
sailingdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 43,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 14
         
Doubt they much care, as if they haven't fixed the leaking in NINE YEARS, they're probably dead from the mold and mildew that would take over the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquez View Post
We recently purchased a C&C34+. I've found several leaks as well. From your description I would first replace the Mast Boot and seal the perimeter of the Mast Collar where it meets the deck with 4200. We found a lot of water coming in at both locations and running down the head liner on either side of the boat.

For the mast boot I used two rolls of Rubbaweld® Mast Boot Tape. I plan to put a cover on this for protection from abrasion. Take the time to clean the collar well and make sure it drains through the small drain holes. Ours was gunked up with silicone. I also had to seal the mast's sail lug groove under the Boom Vang. It's bone dry now. However I'm still chasing leaks in other areas.

Other Water Leaks:
Interior of the Mast
Nothing can really be done about this... just suck it up...and deal... install bilge pumps, preferably two, a small maintenance one as low as possible and a larger dewatering one a bit higher up. Use separate through hulls and DO NOT USE CHECK VALVES.
Quote:
Both Chainplates
Starboard Aft Port Light
Quarter Berth Hatch
Cockpit Speakers
Engine Intake Through-Hull
PSS Leakless Stuffing Box
These all need to be taken off and properly re-bedded. While you're doing it, pot the fastener holes and seal any areas of exposed core with thickened epoxy to prevent water from delaminating the deck or cabintop.

If the PSS is leaking, then you probably should re-build or replace it.
Quote:
Wire runs under the Pedistal
Radar Post Mount
Port Water Tank Hose Fitting
Propane Locker Drain - this disasterous set up warrants ints own thread
Again, each of these needs to be addressed.

Quote:
With all of this moisture in the boat and nearly no ventilation we've got some serious work ahead. Obviously addressing the leaks is first priority. I am also working to address the ventilation by doing the following:
- Install Two Nicro Solar Vents (Forward Hatch & Companionway)
One of these should be set for intake (companionway) and the other for exhaust (forward hatch).
Quote:
- Install Two Clam Vents in Cockpit Lockers Under Helmsman Seat
- Install Two Dorades and Cowl Vents On Cabin Top
(We've moved the MainSheet to the Cockpit)

Any Suggestions or experience in this area is appreciated.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 04-30-2010 at 01:10 PM.
sailingdog is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cabin Step Mast JNBDeVore Gear & Maintenance 6 10-03-2007 12:35 PM
blisters on top of cabin stevefle Boat Review and Purchase Forum 9 12-25-2004 02:21 PM
cetal for a cabin sole obiec Gear & Maintenance 1 03-18-2004 03:22 AM
leaky cabin windows asailor Gear & Maintenance 2 10-21-2002 03:40 PM
Cruising Advice Needed!!! 2 or 3 cabin for 3 single guys? robbieturner Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 5 10-17-2001 05:26 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome