SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing my "engine room" blower? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/106250-replacing-my-engine-room-blower.html)

downeast450 11-17-2013 11:25 AM

Replacing my "engine room" blower?

I have a squirrel cage blower mounted in the space under the 1/4 birth separated from the engine space by a plywood bulkhead. It uses two holes in that bulkhead for the hoses that take in air from the engine space and discharge it into a hose that reaches all the way to the stern rail vent.

I would like to change this setup. I have a better use for the space the current blower occupies. I would prefer an inline blower mounted aft of the engine space.

Does anyone have any experience with inline blowers? Any reasons for not making this change?

Thanks,

Down

mitiempo 11-17-2013 03:47 PM

Re: Replacing my "engine room" blower?

Gas or diesel engine?

bigdogandy 11-17-2013 08:12 PM

I have one of these fans from westmarine in the engine compartment of my boat...it is switched separately from the engine ignition so I can let it run for a while after shutting off the engine. Works fine for me and it was pretty cheap.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...ps62bac71d.jpg

paulk 11-17-2013 09:37 PM

Was at Radio Shack this afternoon and saw they had 4" brushless (no sparks!) DC fans that might work well in your setup. Theyre not "marinized", but for $20...
12VDC Brushless Fan : Computer Fans | RadioShack.com

xymotic 11-17-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulk (Post 1131330)
Was at Radio Shack this afternoon and saw they had 4" brushless (no sparks!) DC fans that might work well in your setup. Theyre not "marinized", but for $20...
12VDC Brushless Fan : Computer Fans | RadioShack.com

Yikes! This strikes me as one of those penny saved pound foolish things.

I can't even imagine the liability if you had a fire and burnt down a marina full of boats or hurt someone. And I mean the 'right' one shown above is only $30 at WM. I'm sure you could get it even cheaper somewhere.

But I'd go back to is it gas or diesel? If it's diesel just lose the fan.

xymotic 11-17-2013 09:52 PM

As to the original post, yes the reason would be that the squirrel ones move a LOT more air, and IMO are more reliable than the cheaper inline ones.

But as you know already, take up a lot more space :)

downeast450 11-18-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 1130322)
Gas or diesel engine?

Gas, A-4

downeast450 11-18-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xymotic (Post 1131402)
As to the original post, yes the reason would be that the squirrel ones move a LOT more air, and IMO are more reliable than the cheaper inline ones.

But as you know already, take up a lot more space :)

Volume and reliability are the best reasons I can think of! I might be able to relocate it but it would require a much longer intake hose and a shorter discharge. Now the intake hose is 10" or a little less. It reaches through the bulkhead and angles down beside the engine. The total length of hose doesn't change if I relocate the squirrel cage blower. Does having a longer intake hose diminish the blower's capacity?

Down

Stumble 11-18-2013 12:37 AM

Yes a longer hose reduces volume, but how much depends is variable. The longer and rougher the hose the more it matters.

downeast450 11-18-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumble (Post 1131858)
Yes a longer hose reduces volume, but how much depends is variable. The longer and rougher the hose the more it matters.

Total length doesn't change?