Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-15-2004

oceanmaui is on a distinguished road
Diesel & Gas Engines?

I want to take a course on basic engine repair and maintenance. However, the only courses available in my area are for gas engines, not diesel (as i would like).

I''m just looking to gain a basic knowledge of engines so i can do simple maintainance and simple repairs at sea (in case of emergencies too).

Aside from performance issues, how similar in construction/maintanence are gas and diesel engines?

Would a basic understanding of one allow me to make a decent diagnosis of the other?

And in that light...would automotive engine knowledge be resonably practical towards boat engines?

I figure any knowledge is better than none, but i also don''t want to waste too much time and money.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2004

PaulBl is on a distinguished road
Diesel & Gas Engines?

A deisel and gas engines are not really that much alike other than they both burn fuel and are engines. The basic components of the engine are different, but the transmission, alternator, water pump and some other accesories are similar if not close enough to be the same.

The fuel systems of the two are very different. The method used to deliver the fuel to the cylinder is very different. These differences are some very important things you would need to know.
Old 10-20-2004

Diesel & Gas Engines?

Ok, i see.

So i guess taking a beginners course in a gas-powered automotive engine would not do me much good if i were trying to gain knowledge in diesel-powered boat engine maintainence?

Old 10-20-2004

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Diesel & Gas Engines?

D, I would disagree with Paul. And, at the same time, he is correct. Gas and Diesel engines have much in common. They both need fuel, air, and compression to run. The ONLY difference, and a BIG difference is the fuel system. Gasoline engines, that are carburated, are much different, IN THE FUEL SYSTEM, than diesel engines, in that the diesel engines require a primer pump, fuel metering pump, and injectors for each cylinder. Other than the fuel system, once you know how an engine functions, they are more similar than different. You need to understand that once you know how a gasoline fueled engine functions you will still need to know how a diesel fuel system functions. But, in the end, ANY information you can glean from one course will help you in gathering additional information. I have been a diesel mechanic for over 40 years. If this is the only course available for you, go for it. The money will not be wasted. You can gain the necessary diesel fuel system knowledge as you carry on with your education. Just another point of view. Regards, Peter
Old 10-21-2004

Diesel & Gas Engines?

Thanks Peter.
:O)

I think that''s what i was wondering. Would a basic knowledge of engines (be it deisel or gas)be transferable to one type or the other.

As a programmer, i''ve found that you don''t necessarily need to know a language to get the basics from it. If I had a good knowledge of Cobol, I could take a fair shot at figuring out a program in, say, Unix. The syntax is different, but the basic structure and logic is the same.

I''ve been pretty good with making logical connections with unknown things, so i guess that''s what i was wondering. Were the two engine systems structurly the same, enough so that a basic knowledge of one would help with understanding the other.

I dont know engines very well (now), so i wasnt sure how close the two were.

I''ll look into the gas engine class then, and definitly find anything else i can on diesel.

Thank you both for the info! :O)
Old 10-24-2004

pjfsail is on a distinguished road
Diesel & Gas Engines?

D, your analagy using computer languages is great. You are exactly on the right track. Once you learn about gasoline fueled internal combustion engines you will easily adapt to diesel fueled internal combustion engines. All the parts are basically the same except for the fuel system which is totally different. But what you will learn will be easily transferrable to the diesel. Any knowledge you will gain, like all knowledge, will be welcome to you as you proceed to learn more about diesel engines. Good success to you, Peter