Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
Prop shaft strut repair

Ok guys, I have quite a repair ahead of me. Without posting on the PO thread it's apparent that the PO wrapped a line around the prop and bent the strut. I just bought the boat and yes the survey reveled this problem. The strut is bonded into the hull and does not have a flange.
My three choices for the repair are;
1) buy a new "close fitting" strut from Bock Algonguin, $ 600.+
2) cut existing strut out and weld/braze on a flange (bronze)
3) fab a new strut out of stainless

I have access to a full on machine shop and can do most of the work myself, zero boat $

All three options involve cutting the existing strut out and realigning the whole drive train. When I think of the things I can buy w/$600 options 2,3 are my preferred methods. So the question becomes what's wrong with fabbing a new strut out of stainless and/or would the welding/brazed method be strong enough?

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Prop shaft strut repair

what boat, size, engine and shaft size may help those trying to help you.... Many struts are "glassed in" so the flange isn't showing. Often, the fuel tank is over the "bump" where the strut would be located in the back bilge area. even the bolt "bumps" show on some boats.
Don't know how you found a new one at such a high price.. unless it's a very large boat.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Stainless is not good below the waterline. why do you need a flange. there are struts that are straight on the end and are glassed into the boat. the glass in one are cheaper
Old 11-18-2013

The boat is an express 35, yanmar 3gm, 27hp, 1" shaft. The strut is a straight tang glassed in. It's loose at the hull join and leaks, neither of which is acceptable.
I could cut it all out and start fresh but I really don't want that "hole" in the boat.
Once I do start cutting my plans may change. I have great access to both sides of the hull. Nothing in the way on the inside.
The price was as quoted by Buck Algongin. I was shocked too, and the part does not really fit. More mod's would take place.
Old 11-18-2013

Markwesti is on a distinguished road

Ditto on no SS below water .
Old 11-18-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

If I am understanding you correctly the strut is bent, AND it's fibreglass bond to the hull is broken. If that is the case then you will need to grind away the damaged glass and remove the strut. From there you can assess how badly bent it is, but there is a good chance you can straighten it with a hydraulic press while it is off the boat. Then it is just a case of reinstalling it the same way the manufacturer did, and glassing it in again. There is a reason they use bronze instead of stainless, and there is a reason they glass it into the hull. Why try to reengineer the boat?
rikhall likes this.
Hull#101
Old 11-18-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfdubu View Post
The boat is an express 35, yanmar 3gm, 27hp, 1" shaft. The strut is a straight tang glassed in. It's loose at the hull join and leaks, neither of which is acceptable.
I could cut it all out and start fresh but I really don't want that "hole" in the boat.
Once I do start cutting my plans may change. I have great access to both sides of the hull. Nothing in the way on the inside.
The price was as quoted by Buck Algongin. I was shocked too, and the part does not really fit. More mod's would take place.
You still have to dig out the old one. Very very good chance you will find a flange in there. I've seen this done a few times by DIY friends in my YC. with all due respect you are over thinking this project. Pulling the prop will maybe be the most difficult part of the job.

I know you don't want to do a "repair" that looks like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 11-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

At $600 for "close" it may be better to have a new one cast. Thats what we just did. It came out to be closer to $700 with a new bearing included but ours is massive and weighs 50+ lbs (so at $4 a lb, thats $200 in bronze alone)

Old 11-18-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

This is a pretty critical piece that you'll want to do more than 'make it work'.. and if you can get it done for under a boat buck that's relatively inexpensive peace of mind for the future. But it doesn't sound like your $600 'close enough' is the best plan either..

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-18-2013

To be clear, engineering things is what I do for a living, reengineering a boat is not a big deal. I'm not looking for the path of least resistance. This is a "I only want to fix this once" quest. Where my experience lacks is the strength of brazed bronze. There is a 6"x6"x8" box inside the hull that houses the broken strut-hull bond, no flange