SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Interior wood treatment (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/106737-interior-wood-treatment.html)

anderbra 11-19-2013 08:38 PM

Interior wood treatment

The interior of my boat has teak wood all over. She's an 81 boat and the wood looks dry and dull. I'll be placing her on the market this coming spring and would like her to look her best for an easy sale. What kind of treatment should I give the interior? Of course I don't want to spend a fortune or huge amounts of time on this project. Any suggestions?

newhaul 11-19-2013 09:04 PM

Re: Interior wood treatment

Sand with holystone then light teak oil on all but the deck just holystone that

anderbra 11-19-2013 10:21 PM

Holystone seems to be a soft stone; I'm sure it wouldn't be easy to sand the whole interior of a 31 footer with that. Thank you for the reply but I'll pass on that. I'm only trying to make the interior wood look fresher for a quick sale.

newhaul 11-19-2013 10:50 PM

At least a quick rubdown with teak oil will make it shine

copacabana 11-20-2013 12:07 PM

You can try lemon oil as well. It'll look great with just one application, but like all oils, it's not a long term fix. I would imagine that re-applying every 6 months will keep it looking nice. Lemon oil has the added advantage of being cheap, smelling pleasant and it's a natural mold killer.

Sabreman 11-20-2013 12:30 PM

Normally, I'd recommend against using the oils but in this case it may be the best option. But first, I'd give the interior wood a good cleaning. There are a variety of products available, but I'd go with a good wipedown using just paint thinner. It will cut through the dirt and grease faster than most "cleaners" at a fraction of the cost. Then I'd go with any of the teak oils, excluding Cetol or any of the varnishes. You will have to re-apply in a few months, but it will be quick and easy and look ok.

If you were keeping the boat, I'd strongly recommend against the oils as they are largely a waste of time, IMO. Far better to clean the wood using acetone, lacquer thinner, or paint thinner followed by a 3-4 coats of urethane for a permanent finish. After applying the the urethane, you're done for the next 10 years.

Delta-T 11-20-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderbra (Post 1138945)
The interior of my boat has teak wood all over. She's an 81 boat and the wood looks dry and dull. I'll be placing her on the market this coming spring and would like her to look her best for an easy sale. What kind of treatment should I give the interior? Of course I don't want to spend a fortune or huge amounts of time on this project. Any suggestions?

Does the wood have a clear finish on it now (or not so clear now)? Is it varnished? Or just bare wood? You are not clear on that. You state it looks "dry and dull"

doug1957 11-20-2013 01:21 PM

We use diluted vinegar to clean then treat with Weimans lemon oil. If the wood is dry, you may need to go over it twice with the oil. Advantage is that it's a mild treatment and the next owner won't have to undo anything if they want to varnish, etc.

Delezynski 11-20-2013 01:29 PM

SAND???? NO, NO, NO, NOT inside!

What we, Jill, uses works GREAT!
She first cleans with Amazon's Teak cleaner, then the prep and then the Golden Oil. See them at Jamestown Marine at;
Amazon Golden Teak Oil

http://images.jamestowndistributors....0/00002034.jpg

Can't seem to upload a photo of our inside just now......

Greg

Hudsonian 11-20-2013 03:59 PM

Start with the simplest solution first. Wet two square feet a damp sponge, wash wet area with **** and Span solution suing a soft brush of 3M pad across the grain, rinse with clear water, and towel dry.