Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road
Rudder support material ID help

Hey Guys,

This piece is a flange/support pad from a Ranger 29. I need to ID the type of material so I can source it to make a new pad. I program and operate CNC routers and I familiar with many materials and composites but this one I have seen but do not know what it is. Anyone have the name for it?

Thanks,

Gary
IMG_0029

IMG_0030

IMG_0026

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Rudder support material ID help

Linen filled Phenolic?? Used to be a lot of blocks and cleats made of it too.. Is that under the rudder head? No reason to use something like Starboard or Nylon instead? Might weather better.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
gedaggett (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Linen filled Phenolic?? Used to be a lot of blocks and cleats made of it too.. Is that under the rudder head? No reason to use something like Starboard or Nylon instead? Might weather better.
Good call Faster. Looks like I have Phenol formaldehyde resin. I thought maybe it was phenolic but the fiber was throwing me off.

This is the flange under the tiller head and I would use something else but it takes the entire weight of the rudder so it has to have excellent hardness and no compression. I will try and source this but it will likely be tough. Anyone have some they would like to part with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 11-19-2013

A little history!

phenol formaldehyde resin polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, developed in 1907–1909 by Dr. Leo Baekeland. Formed by the reaction under heat and pressure of phenol and formaldehyde, generally with a wood flour filler, it was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was used for its nonconductive and heat-resistant properties in radio and telephone casings and electrical insulators, and was also used in diverse products such as kitchenware, jewelry, pipe stems, and toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated a ACS National Historical Chemical Landmark in recognition of its significance as the world's first completely synthetic plastic.
Faster likes this.

Old 11-19-2013

Looks like Aetna Plastics is a good source for purchase. Many types for different applications.

Phenolics and High-Pressure Laminates : Aetna Plastics

Old 11-19-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Not really Bakelite, though, is it?. (what you've got there).. I remember old phones that were bakelite But I thought it was usually a heavier, more homogenous black material?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Not really Bakelite, though, is it?. (what you've got there).. I remember old phones that were bakelite But I thought it was usually a heavier, more homogenous black material?
You are correct. Bakelite is made with the same type of resin though. Adding the different reinforcing materials and processing with different ethyl based chemicals produces the different varieties of material (if I understand it correctly).

Old 11-20-2013
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Tuffnol 'tis it's name

Of f, one f too many

Tufnol

Last edited by ReefMagnet; 11-20-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-20-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

It was very common as block cheeks and other deck hardware on UK built boats or boats that had UK deck hardware in the past - like my CS27. Its use was very common - look at any UK built Westerly, Hurley, etc. I have upgraded my gear but it did last 35 years with no real visible wear. Seems UV wasn't much of an issue either.

Bakelite is a material that is brittle and does not have the reinforcing fibers. It was used for items that did not need much strength like old dial phones.

Last edited by mitiempo; 11-20-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It was very common as block cheeks and other deck hardware on UK built boats or boats that had UK deck hardware in the past - like my CS27. Its use was very common - look at any UK built Westerly, Hurley, etc. I have upgraded my gear but it did last 35 years with no real visible wear. Seems UV wasn't much of an issue either.

Bakelite is a material that is brittle and does not have the reinforcing fibers. It was used for items that did not need much strength like old dial phones.
Good info.

The technical info for what I am ordering is LE graded Phenolic Laminate. It has a cotton woven structure with the Phenol Formaldehyde Resin and is compressed under very high pressure. Getting pricing now but it does not look like it is cheap at all! I will let you know what I find on the pricing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.