Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Have a workbench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Seems to me.. build a boat to fit around the shop would be the dream!
Oh..guess that would become a barge, not a sailboat lol
Philadelphia seaport museum had a workshop on a barge before the new building was built quite a long time ago.
Whats wrong with having a machine shop on a sail boat??? Works fine for me.

ATB

Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Not indoor but I have fashioned a fender board (2 x 8"by approx. 6-7') to fit snug between port and starboard jib sheet winches in cockpit by cutting ends of board to shape of winch bases...doesn't take much to lock in as I don't want ends to catch on anything while fender board is deployed. Vice fits good, have some holes already so some tools have built in holders. Not much room on 30 fter so have to make due.
Also good under cover in winter.
Have pictures but not know how to post.
You can post them to Photobucket or another file sharing/picture sharing site, then include a link here. That's the easiest way. Alternatively, if you have the pics on a smartphone, you can use the Sailnet app to upload to the gallery here, then share from the gallery.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2013
Owned by Velcro

I have a little bench that I can clamp the the lathe and a vice that goes on that if I need it.

I'll have to take a picture of that setup.... thought i had some but can't find them.

ATB
Michael
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Old 11-20-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post

Michael
How long has the lathe been on board?

The reason I ask is because I have a similar lathe (and other machines) in a space under my house and I have a full-time job keeping rust off the bed-ways, chucks and working surfaces. I shudder to think how my lathe would survive in a salt-laden environment.

If it isn't a new installation - how do you it?

If it is a new installation - good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 11-20-2013
Owned by Velcro

T9 and spray lithium grease are your friend. I installed it a while back and it has since sailed a single handed transat with me and has been all over the bay and to Bermuda and back in the last few years. Still works fine and looks ok.
jimgo likes this.

Old 11-20-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
T9 and spray lithium grease are your friend. I installed it a while back and it has since sailed a single handed transat with me and has been all over the bay and to Bermuda and back in the last few years. Still works fine and looks ok.
I will be happy with a sturdy platform and a vise! I am impressed that you manage to find space for that machine. I would have to leave the Admiral behind if I took something like that. Ha! Is it a money maker?

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 11-20-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2013
Owned by Velcro

It has payed for itself a few times over by now. I have a cross slide vice for it and a collet chuck, so I can use it for milling as well as turning. I have made a bunch of stuff for my boat instead of buying things with "Marine" written all over them. Things like prop shaft and bearings for the rudder etc. Just last week I refurbished a couple of winches from another boat where spares were not to be had for them anymore. Made a new bottom rudder support for a 42 Morgan and milled and turned a few bit for the Hatteras I am working on right now. My old 4 hp lite evinrude needed a new waterpump housing and the motor being that old, you cant get them off the shelf anymore. Made one out of a lump of bronze in an evening that I had left over from another project. Those a just a few of the bits that have come out of my little machine shop in the last couple of month.

ATB

Michael
xymotic, downeast450 and utchuckd like this.

Old 11-21-2013

xymotic is on a distinguished road

wow, that's impressive.

I have a metal boat, a LOT more room than you, and now curse you for giving me ideas!
Old 11-21-2013
Owned by Velcro

I pretty much built the cabin of the boat around the lathe when I built Tiki. After I was done I pretty much ended up with a floating tool box, but it helps filling the cruising kitty.

ATB

Michael

Old 11-21-2013

Missingyou is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta-T View Post
That would straddle my galley peninsula nicely. I can already picture the epoxy and beer bottle stains.