Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Have a workbench?

do some diving on some old wooden wrecks and build one of these LOL

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
do some diving on some old wooden wrecks and build one of these LOL
Nice!

I would have to raise an "old wooden wreck" to have the room for it! I could make room in my shop?

Down
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 11-23-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Downeast 450,
I think many miss the fact you are on a 28 foot boat, and one of the prettiest examples out there to boot. Have you looked at that compression post as a place to clamp on a work bench? A bolt on wooden clamp would not mar the surface and could spread the clamping force over a large area to avoid denting, etc. You could spread a drop cloth over the settee and sole and have easy access to whatever you are working on. If I remember correctly, the bottom of the compression post is just about the height you would want a work bench.
John
The Following User Says Thank You to ccriders For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (11-23-2013)
Old 11-23-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

John, Yup! I think that is true. Ain't a whole lot of room on this boat. The sides of the hull continuously flair which reduces both wetted surface and interior volume. It does look good and sails very nicely. Thanks, Bob.

Your idea about using the compression post is a good one. I have done just that with large wooden hand screw clamps. A couple of those are a must have anyway. A few marks? Perhaps. It is doing a job on the boat.

The top companionway step is one of my favorite inside work benches. The sides of the companionway lend themselves to supporting various clamp configurations. Using a couple of protective blocks they are a good place to mount a clamp-on vise. That spot does interfere with traffic and access to the front of the A-4. I like to have a work surface I can sit at, too.

Down
Old 11-23-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
Nice!

I would have to raise an "old wooden wreck" to have the room for it! I could make room in my shop?

Down
So heavy .. call it a "ballast bench" LOL

I'm Slooowly building one

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/off-to...nch-build.html
downeast450 likes this.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2013

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Problem I have with the c'way ladder is that a workbench takes a lot of strain--hammering, planing, etc., and I don't want to accelerate a breakdown of the joints in the ladder.
My Alajuela has an unusual cabin layout. The head is just forward of the portside quarterberth. Where the galley is on most boats.
So I can hang one end on the head enclosure, and the other somewhere on the aft cabin bulkhead, above the quarterberth. I debate whether to use the ladder to support the bench, or build some sort of hanger beneath the bulkhead, on which to bang my head getting in and out of the quarterberth.
If all that makes any sense.
BTW, if you do carpentry, don't leave out a way to hold boards flat lengthwise on the bench for planing. And a sunken tool tray along the back edge of the bench would keep tools out of the way of the work. And make a bench hook from scraps--invaluable for cross-cutting or any time you don't really need a vise.
This thread is getting me psyched to build one over the winter.
John V.
The Following User Says Thank You to VallelyJ For This Useful Post:
downeast450 (11-23-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.