Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Mylar Head Sail Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
THose measurements in either meters or feet......
LP-11.26 Luff perpindicular measure = 36.94'
LU-23.26 luff measure = 76.31'
LE-24.96 leach measure = 81.90'
1404 sf is what I came up with without the roach.

Assuming the weight is correct at 200+ lbs and the LU measurement is actually LUFF PERPendicular, then you have a mainsail from a very large boat. Checking the results there are a few Santa Cruz 70's that raced this past year, however given the luff measurement, that sail is too big for the SC70. Which only leaves a few options.

2013 Transpac Honolulu Race on Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

The 100' maxi ragamuffin or the RP 74 Wizard, which was previously Bella Mente. In either case, the cost of that sail new was EASILY over $100,000. My best guess is that it goes to Bella/wizard the RP 74.
Reichel/Pugh Yacht Design ∑ Wizard (ex Bella Mente)

I can't find the rig dimensions to confirm but they hail out of RI. Not AUS. However, "Ragamuffin 100" - AUS 100, is an austrailia boat, so that may be the winner. Can't find dimensions on that rig either (I didn't look very hard). In either case, the sail is probably junk to either of those programs and was probably used as a delivery sail. Not only that, but there's not a huge market for sails of that size and construction.

You could put it on ebay, but I'd take a shot at trying to contact the original owner first.
Old 11-26-2013

SailDaze is on a distinguished road

I do believe that it came off the Wizard from the pictures of where they were docked in Long beach is where the bag was left...

How would i get in contact with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
1404 sf is what I came up with without the roach.

Assuming the weight is correct at 200+ lbs and the LU measurement is actually LUFF PERPendicular, then you have a mainsail from a very large boat. Checking the results there are a few Santa Cruz 70's that raced this past year, however given the luff measurement, that sail is too big for the SC70. Which only leaves a few options.

2013 Transpac Honolulu Race on Yacht Scoring - A complete web based regatta administration and yacht scoring program

The 100' maxi ragamuffin or the RP 74 Wizard, which was previously Bella Mente. In either case, the cost of that sail new was EASILY over $100,000. My best guess is that it goes to Bella/wizard the RP 74.
Reichel/Pugh Yacht Design ∑ Wizard (ex Bella Mente)

I can't find the rig dimensions to confirm but they hail out of RI. Not AUS. However, "Ragamuffin 100" - AUS 100, is an austrailia boat, so that may be the winner. Can't find dimensions on that rig either (I didn't look very hard). In either case, the sail is probably junk to either of those programs and was probably used as a delivery sail. Not only that, but there's not a huge market for sails of that size and construction.

You could put it on ebay, but I'd take a shot at trying to contact the original owner first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2013

Little google action will do you good.
Askew leads Annapolis team in pursuit of Trans-Pacific Yacht Race record - CapitalGazette.com: Sailing | Boating

Contact the NYYC and they should be able to contact the Askew's for you. David or Peter.
Old 11-26-2013

so you think if they dont want it back its useless to any other boat that size?

Quote:
Little google action will do you good.
Askew leads Annapolis team in pursuit of Trans-Pacific Yacht Race record - CapitalGazette.com: Sailing | Boating

Contact the NYYC and they should be able to contact the Askew's for you. David or Peter.
Old 11-26-2013

Um, how many PR 74's do you know of in existance?

The problem is that there aren't that many boats out there that are full tilt carbon race boats with a powered up rig like that. And the ones that are in that size range, don't buy used sails. You might find someone with an 80+ footer who wants a delivery main? Think about it, if you drop millions on your toy every year, what's 150k for a new sail?
Old 11-26-2013

I understand that.... Just trying to figure out what im going to do with it if they respond to me and dont want it... Which im guessing is going to happen....

can the material be cut and re used?

I email everyone i thought that would be in contact with the "wizard"

waiting on response

Quote:
Um, how many PR 74's do you know of in existance?

The problem is that there aren't that many boats out there that are full tilt carbon race boats with a powered up rig like that. And the ones that are in that size range, don't buy used sails. You might find someone with an 80+ footer who wants a delivery main? Think about it, if you drop millions on your toy every year, what's 150k for a new sail?
Old 11-26-2013

It's possible to recut for much smaller boats that really don't need a laminate cloth, but that takes labor, and labor is expensive. If Wizard doesn't want it, I'd seriously throw it up on ebay. Might get a great deal, never know.
Old 11-26-2013

thanks for all your help. Ill post any updates i have!! Again Thank you!
Old 11-26-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

The problem is that when you talk about sails of this quality, the weight of the fabric, orientation of the fibers and the flying shape of sails are precisely developed for the specific sail size and geometery, as well as the characteristics of the boat.

Even if you had a boat of a similar size, it is likely that the sail profile geometry, fiber orientation and flying shape would be so different that you could not recut this sail in any useful manner. The fabric would be way too heavy and the broadseaming too deep at the luff, and too flat elsewhere for a smaller boat. If the owners don't want it, at best this is useful for someone with a high tech sailing bag company to recycle into duffle bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 11-26-2013

Do you know any sail bag makers i can get in contact with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
The problem is that when you talk about sails of this quality, the weight of the fabric, orientation of the fibers and the flying shape of sails are precisely developed for the specific sail size and geometery, as well as the characteristics of the boat.

Even if you had a boat of a similar size, it is likely that the sail profile geometry, fiber orientation and flying shape would be so different that you could not recut this sail in any useful manner. The fabric would be way too heavy and the broadseaming too deep at the luff, and too flat elsewhere for a smaller boat. If the owners don't want it, at best this is useful for someone with a high tech sailing bag company to recycle into duffle bags.

Tags
mylar spinnaker , sail handling , sail inventory , sail maintenance , sail materials