Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Great customer support from Raymarine

Earlier this summer I purchased a used Raymarine ST70 display instrument. It works great, except that it was losing it's settings every time it lost power. Firmware upgrades were also not sticky (the claimed to work, but then it would be running old firmware again).

I posted about this on Raymarine's customer support website and got back a response of "send it in and we'll fix it for you".

I boxed it up 2 weeks ago. I expected to maybe get an email with a bill or something, but it showed up last Friday returned from UPS. No note, invoice, just a fixed unit. I powered it up and it has the newest firmware and configuration saving works great.

Used product, no warranty, didn't charge me for the service or return shipping. This is A+ customer support and service.

I compare this to my Simrad experience with my buggy RS35 VHF+AIS radio. They have no forum for me to ask questions, routinely ignored questions in emails to them, told me that bugs that I saw couldn't possibly be issues, and were very unhelpful in recommending how I would upgrade the firmware on my radio.
Old 11-20-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Great customer support from Raymarine

I love to hear stories like this - especially about companies whose equipment I own!
rikhall likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

+1 on Smackdaddy's remark. I'll add that I love my e7. Also, it's nice to hear this about Raymarine, because I have seen other people complain about their Custome Service and Support.
Old 11-20-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

I love to hear this kind of thing. customer service seems like a lost thing lately.

also Im shopping electronics so hearing this is good.
Old 11-20-2013
always busy with sailing

I also have an e7 plotter and X5 autopilot (with P70 head). The ST70 is a nice accessory display for the e7, I have it mounted above my companionway and it gives me wind and speed display that I can see from anywhere in the cockpit.

I like the e7 so far, but I'm really excited for the directions that Raymarine is going in. They are shipping a new firmware for it in the next couple of months that lets you use NOAA charts directly (don't need to buy charts from Navionics anymore), moves away from proprietary formats for waypoints and tracks to GPX, and they've really cleaned up the UI:
LightHouse II | User Interface for Raymarine MFDs
Old 11-21-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

Anyone else have Raymarine's Voyage Planner Software on their computer at home? I have the e7 and like that unit but their voyage software is clunky and difficult to operate, particularly in relation to Garmin's Mapsource which I also have. I find myself using Mapsource to plan a trip then sending it to Voyage Planner so it can be sent to the e7. And then it often screws up, creating extra legs across land. Yetch!

Tod
Old 11-21-2013
always busy with sailing

With "Lighthouse II" coming there won't be any reason to use Voyage Planner anymore. Voyage Planner clearly hasn't been updated in years, it will be nice to not have to use it for anything.

Lighthouse II will use GPX for route and waypoints, which is a format that is easily saved from Garmin Mapsource.
Old 11-21-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

That is GREAT news, Alex! My question is this:

1) How do I update my firmware on my e7? I have not been able to get it in an area where I can receive wifi. I'm not at a marina but behind my house and my wifi does not extend to the dock.

2) To download routes from voyage planner, I had to save them on to a microSD card and then import them into the e7. How would the updated Lighthouse II handle the transfer? Do you know? Any ideas?
Old 11-21-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

After FliR bought Raymarine I think FliR put a rocket up the loss making mob of slack bastards. Shortly after theraquisition I was having a Raymarine problem... No one would email me, nothing, so I sent an email to support at FliR and the response was amazing!

So it sounds like the good service is continuing. Great!
Old 11-21-2013
always busy with sailing

You don't need to get the e7 onto the internet to update the firmware (I don't even think that is an option). The firmware is copied to a blank micro-SD card, then you power on the e7 with that card in the card reader.

Other devices on the same network are updated using the same mechanism. You boot the e7 with a micro-sd card that has a special file on it, and that will update the device over the SeatalkNG network.

The new GPX-friendly firmware isn't available yet. The website says December. However there have been good updates released in the last year. This is the latest version that is out:
http://www.raymarine.com/knowledgeba....cfm?view=3764

My favorite recent feature is a much better set of wind instruments that can be shown on the "Data" screens and more layout options for the Data screens. Those were slipped into 7.43.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
Brewgyver (11-22-2013), Gladrags1 (11-22-2013)