Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Ranger 23 Keel Wobble Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdthorne View Post

The funny thing is that this is the same boat (So you know why I like it, meticulously maintained, great woodwork, nicely rigged, and lots of character)
So it is crafty ol' Leon Hillman's Ranger 23' "Electra"? That is a coincidence.
Leon was great competition on the race course and bested us more often than not.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Mark how about some photos? Some of us arm chair engineers could offer possible ways to fix it. Don't think you want' 40ish year old glass flexing much more if you can prevent it.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-20-2013

markdthorne is on a distinguished road

It is Electra. I have bumped into many people who say the same thing. It is kind of like he created a legend, and for a little boat it is quick/feels large for it's size = a great combination.

I cant PM due to lack of posts, but my email is the same as my username @gmail.com

Mark
Old 11-20-2013

markdthorne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Mark how about some photos? Some of us arm chair engineers could offer possible ways to fix it. Don't think you want' 40ish year old glass flexing much more if you can prevent it.

you are right, I actually have a video. If I can figure out how to upload it I will. I appreciate the help!
Old 11-20-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

Keel is not supposed to move due to hull flexing (or vice-versa). It sounds like the fiberglass has gotten fatigued from the boat being used for such a long time. Yards won't be overly interested in fixing it because they then become liable if the fix doesn't work, and the cost of the repair will quickly overtake the value of the boat. They know this leads to unhappy customers who complain to twenty others and bad-mouth the yard on the Internet. Talking to a naval architect or marine engineer (or a yard guy off work, or a surveyor) about how to go about fixing this would be a first step, along with getting hold of other Ranger owners online. It may be something you can fix yourself with reinforcements below the floorboards or at bulkheads. With a better idea of exactly what is wanted to be done, a yard might be more interested. You may be able to continue sailing the boat for quite a while with the hull flexing as it currently does, but would you want to go up in a plane whose wings were moving around as much as your keel & hull are? Eventually something is going to break, and that is not a trip you want to be on.
Old 11-20-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I think I echo a lot of other readers, in that, we would like to see what you come up with. Sounds like a bit of surgery is in order.
Old 11-21-2013

harmonic is on a distinguished road

My boat had exactly the same problem didnt notice it untill I hauled her out and water blasted the keel.Its not the end of the world I just laminated up some frames which fitted snugly into the keel and out along the inside of the hull Glued them in with epoxy then fibreglassed over the whole lot a strong and perminant fix.Would like to show you photos of the job but am computer illiterate.Any boat builder worth his salt should be able to do it easily,I did it myself and I am just a carpenter.
Old 11-21-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

If it were me, I think I would get an opinion from a Builder/Glass expert to make the decision. I talked to fairly accomplished fiberglass craftsman at the yard this past week about the work he did on retro fitting a Tiger 10 (that has a keel box) because of flex and what he did to "shore it up". It might be able to be done on your boat but remember you may be transferring the load to an area of the Hull that may not have been expected to carry the load of the side force in a choppy blow. Also the amount of time and effort could be massive. I am sure you could pay an expert to at least give you an opinion on weather it could or should be done. I would hate to read a post next spring about a Ranger 23 that had lost her Keel and sank! Rangers are really nice boats and out-sail their size.
Hope it works out for you.

I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 11-21-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Here are a couple guys that I think might be in your area. Can't vouch for them but they are near you.

http://www.jmfiberglassrepair.com/

Custom Boat Repairs | DIY Gel Coat Repair - Fiberglass Boat Repair

I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 11-21-2013

Location: Central New Jersey, sailing on the Navesink River and Sandy Hook Bay mostly.
lillia28 is on a distinguished road

Mark.
Do a google search on Ranger 23 hull. There is a thread on sailboat owners that describes something similar. Also check the R23 group on Yahoo. I have a feeling this is not unique to your boat. There may be proven fixes.
in Spurr's Guide he discusses ways to avoid "oil canning" or "panting" of the hull, which if I understand correctly is the walls of the hull flexing in and out. The would wiggle the keel. The "cure" is to bond in some longitudinal stringers, such as wood battens or stiff PVC hose, to give the sides more strength. It doesn't sound difficult, or expensive, just labor intensive as you have to clear the liner away to get at the hull. If it is in fact a common issue, and the boat has survived all this time, leaving it alone doesn't sound so bad. Can you get in touch with the original owner? He may have some in sights. If the boat is not leaking, and the hull is otherwise in good condition I don't think it is a terminal issue. My first post on here was about an O'Day 28 that had sat on the hard so long, the stands pushed the starboard quarter into a decent sized dent. The yard owner and several on here suggested it was no big deal, and in fact after I passed and another bought it, the hull "popped" on launching, and the boat is sailing fine. The more I research, the better I feel about this. Assuming you don't mind the work. If you dangle a cold Guinness in front of me, I can be talked into almost anything.

Lou