Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-28-2004

Myblueheaven is on a distinguished road
Holding tank in Jeanneau 51

Well, I finally bought my boat! A Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 51, 1991. It is a fixer, but soild otherwise. My question to anyone who can help is "my boat is from the Caribbean and has NO holding tanks, so does anyone have experience fitting some in". I am going to keep her in California and live on her. I need a ( or more than one) holding tank, sizeable enough so I don''t have to constantly "pump out" at the pumping dock etc. California has very strict No Discharge rules in harbors and anchorages( as they should). I do know that some 51''s used a small sigle holding tank below each Head that held a minimal amount of waste. Just enough for a typicla weekly charter. That is not very practical for me.

Anyone with info on this particular application would be appreciated.

Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2004

Oscar is on a distinguished road

Two people can fill up a twenty gallon tank in three or so days...... You will have to sacrifice some space,

Go on other Jeanneaus/Beneteaus and see how it was done at the factory....

Then I''d look on page 545 of the West Marine catalog for more inspiration, then try to find what you need elsewhere for less.

Finally, buy the real stuff ($$$) Plastics are permeable, only those rated for waste (tanks, hoses) will hold back the odor''s....do not skimp on this.

Oscar, Lady Kay, ''89 C-42
Old 11-03-2004

p32 is on a distinguished road

There is a book out by Peggie Hall called "Get Rid of Boat Odors: A Boat Owners Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor " that would probably give you some good ideas. I found it a www.amazon.com and searching for "get rid of boat odors" under the "books" category. Standard disclaimer applies, I have no affiliation with author, publisher, or retailer....
Brian
Old 11-04-2004
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road

Myblue,

I put a 40 gallon tank in my moderately heavy cruising boat. I put the tank in the forepeak. You sacrifice storage space, but it is lost to good use if you are a coastal and inland cruiser. The additional weight even when full is not noticeable in appearance (water line) or performance under sail. A word of caution - be sure you provide more than adequate ventilation for the holding tank or the odors can get onerous! The prior poster''s recommendation of Peggy Hall''s book is money well spent. She was kind enough to advise me on the installation of my tank. She is a legitimate expert on this topic. Also Groco sells a very effective device for forcing aeration of the tank. The product is called "Sweet Tank" (ironically enough). It works very well in situations where conventional ventilation methods are impossible or undesirable.

Wayne
Old 11-06-2004

pjfsail is on a distinguished road

Chris, I''m going to second all the advice you''ve been given so far. I''m in the middle of a refit of our 34'' Yorktown (in California also) and presently involved in the installation of the holding tank. To be honest, it is an onerous task. But can be accomplished with much perserverence. I''m going to give you several sources I have used to gather information to do the task. One is a great web site where the owner of a 38'' Triton has chronicled his refit in great detail and in particular, for you, the holding tank purchase and installation. Go to http://www.triton381.com/ click on "the rebuilding". On the left side of the page you will see, "interior projects" click on this. Now you have lots of options and click on, "head". Once you are there, click on, "MSD Holding Tank and Plumbing". While he is installing a Lavac Popular Marine Toilet, his installation procedure is for any marine toilet and holding tank.
I purchased my holding tank from Ronco Plastics http://www.ronco-plastics.com.
These are one of the best tanks you can buy being 3/8" thick. They are the least expensive that I found and the folks at Ronco are a pleasure to do business with. You can have your inlet, outlet, and vent fitting(s) placed anywhere you like on the tank and then they manufacture your tank to your specifications. You can also have an inspection plate installed if you wish. I followed Peggy Hall''s advice and had two (2) 3/4" vents installed in mine and an inspection plate in the event something goes terribly wrong and it needs to be cleaned out someday.
You can go to http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/tp/tp1332/appendixC.htm and find specific information and schematics for installing waste systems. This is a Canadian government website that is excellant for learning specifics about MSD''s.
And you can learn a little about what Peggy Hall has to say by going to http://www.morgan41page.org/Systems/M41_Sanitation.htm
Another web site from California government gives you some pretty good schematics for installations, go to, http://dbw.ca.gov/design.htm
Last but not least, go to GOOGLE and type in, "How to install a holding tank." You will find many web sites to go to that will give you additional information. Have fun, Peter