Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-22-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Question Sterling Regulator vs Alternator to Battery Charger

I have been looking at the Sterling website, as I ponder an upgrade to my charging system. I noticed that the product line has been greatly expanded over the past few years.

One thing that I just can't get my head around is the practical difference between their "Advanced Alternator Regulators," for example the ProReg-B (approx $130), and their "ProAlt-C" Alternator to Battery Charger, for example the 12 Volt to 130 AMP Charger (approx $400). These both have 4 stage charging profiles for several different battery types. I understand that the regulator does not factor in multiple battery banks, but you can do this quickly, and easily, with an echo-charger.

My question is this; If using an "Advanced Alternator Regulator: with an "Echo Charge," to provide charging to multiple banks, haven't you accomplished the same thing as the Alternator to Battery Charger?

To put this in context - on my boat I currently have two 105AH (20 hour rate) batteries, as separate banks, connected via a Xantrex Echo Charge. Motor charging is from a Leece-Neville 90 Amp alternator, with the included 8RG2043 C (14.4V) regulator. Dock charging is from an IOTA DLS30/IQ4. I am considering combining the two 105AH batteries into one house bank, and adding a third (smaller) start battery.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Sterling Regulator vs Alternator to Battery Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I have been looking at the Sterling website, as I ponder an upgrade to my charging system. I noticed that the product line has been greatly expanded over the past few years.

One thing that I just can't get my head around is the practical difference between their "Advanced Alternator Regulators," for example the ProReg-B (approx $130), and their "ProAlt-C" Alternator to Battery Charger, for example the 12 Volt to 130 AMP Charger (approx $400). These both have 4 stage charging profiles for several different battery types. I understand that the regulator does not factor in multiple battery banks, but you can do this quickly, and easily, with an echo-charger.

My question is this; If using an "Advanced Alternator Regulator: with an "Echo Charge," to provide charging to multiple banks, haven't you accomplished the same thing as the Alternator to Battery Charger?

To put this in context - on my boat I currently have two 105AH (20 hour rate) batteries, as separate banks, connected via a Xantrex Echo Charge. Motor charging is from a Leece-Neville 90 Amp alternator, with the included 8RG2043 C (14.4V) regulator. Dock charging is from an IOTA DLS30/IQ4. I am considering combining the two 105AH batteries into one house bank, and adding a third (smaller) start battery.

Thanks in advance!
The ProAlt C is a device that does not require tapping into the alts brushes for a field connection. The down side is expense and the lowest possible voltage is the internal regulators set point. I much prefer to fit a proper external regulator. If you want an external the Balmar is worth every penny.. I have installed a few of the ProReg D and they are an okay very bare bones reg but they lack LOTS of features the Balmar offers as standard, like full customization and current limiting...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Sterling Regulator vs Alternator to Battery Charger

Thank you Maine Sail!

The Sterling-USA website currently has a bunch of inaccurate info (ProReg- S and U?http://www.shop.sterling-power.com/acatalog/proreg.pdf)... I found the Sterling European catalog PDF after I posted, and studied it for a while. Here is how I net the differences out:
The ProReg;
  • requires wiring/interface to the field windings of the alternator, which is considered more complex than adding a battery charger, and may void the warranty of some alternators
  • works in parallel with the OEM regulator, and will cut itself out if a fault is detected
  • is unaware of multiple battery banks.
The ProAlt-C
  • does not require any wiring to the alternator, other than the positive and negative leads, thereby minimizing the wiring, and possibly preserving the warranty of your alternator.
  • also works in conjunction with the OEM regulator, but tricks the OEM regulator out by presenting a low voltage to the alternator / regulator, thus causing the alternator to work harder to provide higher voltage and amperage, which the charger manages, and presents to the batteries connected to the ProAlt-C's "domestic" (a.k.a. "house") output post.
  • is designed to work with multiple battery banks.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems