Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: I got an ipad and handheld gps

I didn't notice that the OP failed to get a cell enabled device. At the least, you'll need an external Bluetooth GPS reciever (iPad compatible).

I seriously recommend gong back for the cell plan. You can be a few miles offshore and still get live weather radar with it. I've navigated more than one storm with it. Seriously helpful. Not to mention downloading grib files, etc. I have the smallest data plan available and never come close to using it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2013

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure which iPad the OP bought as they all come with various GB memory. If one wants to use the iPad as a GPS/plotter then it only makes sense to get the one with the built in GPS receiver. The 3G and 4G iPads have this capability. Also these iPads have cellular capabilities which means they can get LTE and 4G cellular service. The 1 & 2 only get 3G cellular service if they are 3G compatible. They are all wifi compatible

I believe there are ways of connecting an external GPS but it is way more cumbersome an inconvenient than the iPads with the built in GPS receiver

I have the Garmin app and the Bluechart charts. As Denise has already stated the app is free and the charts are around $40 but cover parts of Canada, all the USA including Alaska and Hawaii, the Caribbean islands, northern part of South America and Central America, both coasts. All for $40. It makes a very handy backup chart plotter for me.

Another thing you can do is hook it up to Apple TV and display your plotter on your 70" flat screen tv.
Old 11-22-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

GB is gigabytes, at least to me.

No, I didn't get the cellular ipad. I should have. I'm trying to learn this tech stuff, but for some reason it just doesn't come naturally. When I was out sailing last summer, I felt like I could grasp most the the repair, maintenance and actual sailing quickly. I'm great with maps and navigation, but these darn computers, I just can't seem to get.

I think it's like how some people aren't good at math. My mind quickly spins numbers and to me it's obvious. But some people just can't. Maybe I'm like that with computer stuff.

All I want is to connect my garmin and ipad, plot the course at night on the bigger, better screen, and then use my garmin when I'm on the boat.
Old 11-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I have the Dual XGPS and I use it with my wifi-only iPad. Works like a charm. If you buy the Garmin Bluechart app, you pay once and it loads onto both the iPad and the iPhone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-23-2013

SO, let's start with one thing today. I want the a couple noaa charts on my ipad and or laptop. Just to look at. Not to use while moving, but just to zoom in and out of and look at as if it was a paper chart in my hand.

For the ipad do I need an app? If so, which app does that, and second, do I go to noaa's website and download them?
Old 11-23-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
For the ipad do I need an app? If so, which app does that, and second, do I go to noaa's website and download them?
You do not download directly from the NOAA site to your iPad. You must choose your app first.

Once you choose your app, follow the instructions that it gives you for accessing the charts.

I highly suggest looking at the threads in the App section of the forum:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/

At some point, that's where I'm going to move this thread.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 11-23-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
SO, let's start with one thing today. I want the a couple noaa charts on my ipad and or laptop. Just to look at. Not to use while moving, but just to zoom in and out of and look at as if it was a paper chart in my hand.

For "just viewing" NOAA charts I like SeaMap HD, it's $1.99 on the iTunes Store. Once installed you can download any NOAA chart(s) you like, for free. You download the charts from within the app. Be sure to get the US version of the app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seam...439615827?mt=8
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 11-23-2013

Oh my god! This is so super cool. I have an entire noaa map of the country that I can zoom into as much as I want!!!

I can drag my finger to washington, and the pinch out the san juans and zoom into friday harbor! Or anywhere.

Noone told me this was that amazing! This is so far and above the garmin it's not even funny
Old 11-23-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Which app did you finally decide and go with?
Old 11-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
....Noone told me this was that amazing! This is so far and above the garmin it's not even funny
I've said before, its the single greatest electronic improvement in sailing ever. Add movies, music, weather, email, skype, books, manual, internet research, its endlessly useful.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.