Air Conditioner Hazard Potential - Page 4 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 11-26-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
Move over Joan Rivers!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 5,978
Thanks: 51
Thanked 82 Times in 72 Posts
Rep Power: 9
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Conditioner Hazard Potential

All I'm seeing is lines drawn in the grou... sand
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #32  
Old 11-26-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Air Conditioner Hazard Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post

Either that or the unit isn't grounded properly.
With proper AC grounding this type of short should have tripped OCP..... The sad reality is that the case grounds are very often over looked and omitted. I see this ALL THE TIME with battery chargers, inverters and inverter chargers.. I also see it with AC and heating systems..

On-board AC wiring and grounding are also very often incorrectly installed. The sad reality is that we can't always count on the green grounding wire to get all the way back to land to trip OCP. The AC green to DC Earth/bonding is critically important and this is a potential example of why.....

A "short" like this, if this is what actually happened, should have tripped OCP in fractions of a second....
SchockT likes this.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.



Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #33  
Old 11-26-2013
ebs001's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,119
Thanks: 5
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 9
ebs001 is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Conditioner Hazard Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
With proper AC grounding this type of short should have tripped OCP..... The sad reality is that the case grounds are very often over looked and omitted. I see this ALL THE TIME with battery chargers, inverters and inverter chargers.. I also see it with AC and heating systems..

On-board AC wiring and grounding are also very often incorrectly installed. The sad reality is that we can't always count on the green grounding wire to get all the way back to land to trip OCP. The AC green to DC Earth/bonding is critically important and this is a potential example of why.....

A "short" like this, if this is what actually happened, should have tripped OCP in fractions of a second....
The fact that it actually didn't trip to me is a further indication that the problem was in the control circuit which is not grounded and therefore will not cause a short to ground.

I would be greatly concerned with any 120 volt installation that was not properly bonded back to the source of power because as I indicated earlier it truly does represent a serious potential hazard.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #34  
Old 11-26-2013
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,286
Thanks: 10
Thanked 117 Times in 85 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Air Conditioner Hazard Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post

I would be greatly concerned with any 120 volt installation that was not properly bonded back to the source of power because as I indicated earlier it truly does represent a serious potential hazard.
You would be greatly concerned with about 80% of the boats out there then.....
boatpoker likes this.
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #35  
Old 12-22-2013
boatpoker's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,047
Thanks: 8
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 7
boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Air Conditioner Hazard Potential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You would be greatly concerned with about 80% of the boats out there then.....
Only 80%
__________________
Dirt People Scare me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air conditioner questions saillife Gear & Maintenance 6 08-13-2010 02:49 PM
Paint in the Air Conditioner labestia Gear & Maintenance 3 06-29-2009 09:16 AM
Recommissioning Air Conditioner mgmhead Gear & Maintenance 8 06-09-2009 11:45 PM
Smoke from air conditioner dohenyboy Gear & Maintenance 7 07-28-2007 11:11 PM
Air Conditioner randall2v Gear & Maintenance 0 06-30-2004 01:39 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.