Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: loose footed main

Yes when the OP mentioned wooden boom and loose foot to his "neighbor" and he said that he was already slow enough, was probably referring to the conversion to wood boom, not loose foot.

I've suffered a season with a 1:1 outhaul, because the 2:1 blocks were busted (internally on the boom)... I'll be changing out to 6:1 this winter. The huge advantage to the loose foot is a stupid simple lower 1/3 draft adjustment. Making the main pancake flat allows depowering pretty easy.

As for reefability it's just as untidy as shelf-foot. But yeah, no different. Go loose foot, you'll be glad you did.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2013

Dave_E is on a distinguished road

Wow! Help me out here. I almost called a sail maker to come to the boat and have a look, because I thought the PO put on a bad fitting sail. My main is a full batten, flat top, that has what appears to be about 1' excess sail at the boom. After reading this thread, I wonder. Does this sound like an attempt to have a loose foot?

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Old 11-24-2013
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Foot of the sail should still be a bit shorter than the boom so that you can get proper tension on the outhaul. You want to be able to trim your sail completely flat to reduce power (and avoid reefing for longer). This can also help sailing upwind in flat conditions (better sail entry angle and reduced drag).

So are there any advantages to a boom track? My last boat had one and I used it without question but haven't missed it in any way and the loose foot does help visualize draft in the bottom 1/3.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Wow! Help me out here. I almost called a sail maker to come to the boat and have a look, because I thought the PO put on a bad fitting sail. My main is a full batten, flat top, that has what appears to be about 1' excess sail at the boom. After reading this thread, I wonder. Does this sound like an attempt to have a loose foot?

Dave
As atom said, the fully stretched out foot should be a few inches shorter than the boom. If the foot of your sail is really a 12 inches longer than your boom you'll never trim that sail properly. Time to get the tape measure out.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-24-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

The clincher for us was that besides perhaps better performance, the loose foot is a good bit cheaper. Our loose-footed mains (we've had several since switching- we sail and race quite a bit) have NOT had slugs or straps at the clew, but the outhaul is a car mounted on a track at the end of the boom with an in-boom tackle to adjust it.
Old 11-24-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraymer View Post
So, are loose footed mains a pain to reef? More stuff floppping around? And do they work ok with lazy jacks and all?
Jim.
I am fan of loose-footed; not of in-mast furling.

Loose-footed mains are no problem to reef. On light wind days, when I have a loose outhaul, I also need to loosen the lazyjacks otherwise they can restrict the sail shape at the foot, and spoil that beautiful curve.

As others have said, make sure the the foot is a bit short on the boom, so you can make it nice and tight when your need to.

Does it make you go faster? Well, I have no empirical data, and I hate to disagree with Faster; but my gut tells me it should help, especially in lighter winds when you get the aforementioned beautiful shape, as opposed to a ugly bunched up foot. It just "feels" right. And in the past, I have found when something looks or feels right in a boat, there is often a good reason for it! But making me feel good is a reason all of itself.
Old 11-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Foot of the sail should still be a bit shorter than the boom so that you can get proper tension on the outhaul. You want to be able to trim your sail completely flat to reduce power (and avoid reefing for longer). This can also help sailing upwind in flat conditions (better sail entry angle and reduced drag).
OK, thanks for the replies concerning my setup. I still think I have a sail that doesn't belong on my rig. The foot length is OK, and now I understand what is meant by "loose foot". The entire bottom of my sail (entire boom length) looks like I have another foot to go on the halyard... but it's all the way up, so I have all this extra baggy sail left at the boom. Pretty sure the PO messed up.
GOD, Family, career

Last edited by Faster; 11-24-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11-24-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
Does it make you go faster? Well, I have no empirical data, and I hate to disagree with Faster....
Why?? ... Actually I think it was Jeff H who said there was no difference, and I'd be concerned about disagreeing there too..

To Dave E.. sounds like your Luff is too long for the available hoist. For the time being, if you put a reef in you can get good trim, but a sailmaker can fix you up. (Assuming you're getting adequate luff tension and you are indeed at full hoist)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 11-24-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2013

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Faster - correct (again) on both counts...

DaveE - friend of mine had a blown-out main. So he picked up an almost new one for $100 - only problem, it is too big for his boat. So he uses it with a with a reef - still better than his old sail :-)

Does look kinda odd though, especially in lighter winds.

You may want to talk to a sail loft to see if the sail is worth recutting.
Old 11-24-2013

Paul,

I'm thinking your probably pretty close on this one. Sails just fine, looks terrible. The Allmand is one of those boats that will only go 7k and I have a tall rig on it. In a moderate breeze, I can put up most anything and go 5.5k without trying. It's a cruiser. But I know me... I can't live with that.

Dave
GOD, Family, career