Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2004

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
AMSOIL synthetic

I have used AMSOIL synthetic oils for a couple of years now and I am a distributor so this may sound like sales hype but I could care less if you buy some from me or not. I just want to say its the best thing I have found so far. I use it in Motorcycles my truck 25000 miles with no oil change and my boat with an old Atomic 25 HP slug which got almost 150 more RPM''s after I put AMSOIL in and ran quiet and cooler by 7 degrees. For Cars the oil change is a standard 3000 miles 7500-12000 on Amsoil so I figure motoring three hundred miles in your boat is like running the Indy so maybe I will change the oil but I ran into hurricanes and had to motor another two hundred now hours I am not sure of allot and the oil is still as slick as a babys butt. Drop me a line if you want to save your motor this is for real lubricant. You must flush your motor first Diesel or Gasoline and some other nifty lube stuff can be had from AMSOIL.
Dealer number #1092248 Jim Jacobs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2006

Myblueheaven is on a distinguished road
synthetic oil question

Since you sell the stuff, I have a Yanmar diesel, high hours , but runs great still. I want to try synthetic. But notice a viscosity issue in synthetics. I know regular oil car engine viscosities but not what appears to be low weight synthetics. like 5W-40W, 3W-30W? I am used to car oils like 20-40 or for my high performance (runs hot when racing) 20-50W. What should I use for my 75 horse Yanmar sailboat 4 banger? She's 1/2 to 3/4 of the way to diesel heaven. I want her to run smooth, and not make her parts work hard( lower viscosity) but she getting is looser than a bangkok whore in tollerences as she get older so more viscosity may be needed to make up the differnces. I am in southern CA, and plan top go South( warmer climates). What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook